DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Today I had an idea how to improve the body cover. For this idea it will be made out of four parts.

top_cover
buttom_cover
side_left_panel
side_right_panel
Optional
window_panel

How to remove the panels?

Remove the front that is clip in with Lian Li clips. Now you can slide out the panels. For this move the panel 10mm in direction of the front panel and than you can lift them up.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
Sort of like how loque does their A4 version? Except on your C4 you slide them out towards the front, rather than towards the top?

I think it's a good idea, and the front being easily removable will make it a lot easier to install graphics card, and remove/replace it.

Reactions: owliwar

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Those look like SKF-Cs, yeah? They're quite small and a decent option, though there are a couple caveats:
  1. Since it's metal-on-metal, they can scrape paint off. Maybe not such a big deal on such small contact areas, but something that might bother perfectionists.
  2. AFAIK they only come in steel, which means if you want to use them in anodized panels, you'd have to custom order them in aluminum (can't mix metals for anodizing).

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
Whoa this is really cool. Definitely gonna keep a tab on this one.

On another note, seems like push-pull isn't an option? From my (rather limited) experience push-pull helps out a lot at lower rpms (<1200). But I guess it's really difficult to do that without compromising case size. If the drive cage is unused and the power socket is moved up, would it be able to slot in extra 120mm fans there? Not sure if there will be interference with the motherboard or PSU cables.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Dan, a very Happy Christmas to you and your family. Thank you for brightening the SFF world with your creativity; I hope you have a prosperous 2018.
Season's greetings to all the SFFN followers out there, and many thanks to the team for keeping this amazing community running.
May your 2018 be small and immensely powerful!

Reactions: SilverFox18

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
Wow, definitely interested in this case!
I first wanted the a4, but it would be a bit tricky since my gtx 1080 isn't a blower style gpu (evga 1080 SC), and I didn't want to use too much money to get the case, and change my current hardware.

So as far as I understand, having an open air cooler for the gpu, and an air cooler for the cpu, wouldn't be any problem when it comes to heat?

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
Wow, definitely interested in this case!
I first wanted the a4, but it would be a bit tricky since my gtx 1080 isn't a blower style gpu (evga 1080 SC), and I didn't want to use too much money to get the case, and change my current hardware.

So as far as I understand, having an open air cooler for the gpu, and an air cooler for the cpu, wouldn't be any problem when it comes to heat?
I don't think you need a blower style GPU. Just make sure it draws air from outside the case, either by using some "tubing" around the face to force them to get air intake from the outside.
Afaik, if an intake fan is not right by the intake, especially if you're using a filter, it's more likely to simply circulate the hot air. The air will find it's way from the least resistance, and a dust filter, or the little holes, will provide a fair amount of resistance.

Or remove the fan shroud and put in 16mm/25mm fans instead, you may even want to put them as exhaust. This imo is the best option, way better to have 120mm fans than some 90mm fans (like twice the "airflow").

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
@Edward Hay : I have a 1060 SSC in my A4. The heatsink on the EVGA dual fan cards is IMO ideal for this case. Dual fans next to a vented side means all the fresh air they can get and the way the fins are oriented means the exhaust air goes out the top and bottom of the case. You may want to tweak the fan curves for noise with the extra power drawn by your card, but temps and noise should be almost like you were running an open air testbench.

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
I'm also wondering how much space there is behind the front panel? To see if it would be poosible to smack two SSDs together and mount them there? Perhaps just velcroing the second ssd to the other one.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
That might be too tight. Given how much space is "below" the GPU, I'd consider mounting them to the case floor so the power cabling isn't fouled on the drive cage (which I didn't install).

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
I'm just a bit unsure when it comes to how much two ssds in the drivebay would affect the airflow fron the bottom fans, and if that would make a substantial difference.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
The case posted by @sfxbajan has a similar angled IO cutout to the one that Dan suggested in one of his revisions.
So what? It doesn't invalidate his design, nor does this [LARGER] TG sided ATX case detract from the C4 SFX concept in the least.

For the record, I still like the original design best with the 'connecting strip' round the front IO, and prefer the design with the angled cutout way more than the 3rd design with the front IO.

For my money, (currently being thrown at the screen in vain...), it would be all metal again like the A4, with a glass/acrylic window as an option or add on.

I'm saving for a new case, and this on its current trajectory is top of my list; particularly with Dan's track record of making things happen and deliverable.

Bring it on, I don't want it to go astray like the NCase Sidearm/D concept.

Reactions: Elerek

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I'm just a bit unsure when it comes to how much two ssds in the drivebay would affect the airflow fron the bottom fans, and if that would make a substantial difference.

I don't follow you on this. Are you talking about the C4 or A4?!

Status
Not open for further replies.