DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Straander

Chassis Packer
Nov 19, 2020
With how the card is currently behaving, yes I can.
But highs of 65°C doesnt seem normal for a fully utilized GPU. Maybe I'm going to find a game that actually pushes this card in to the upper 70's regularly, and then I'm going to need to look in to undervolting or a spacer for it to work out.
I should finally install cyberpunk and see how that pushes the card.

Reconsidering this opinion. More and more I find myself taking of my VR headset because I can hear those fans just downright screaming from the load caused by certain game modes.
I am going to need to look in to undervolting it and/or adding a case side-panel spacer like I was considering for this video card to be tenable.

Sadly it looks like if you want a locally available current-gen video card that fits without any hassles, you'll need to settle for the poorly reviewed 4060/4060ti or a 7600.

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020
Reconsidering this opinion. More and more I find myself taking of my VR headset because I can hear those fans just downright screaming from the load caused by certain game modes.
I am going to need to look in to undervolting it and/or adding a case side-panel spacer like I was considering for this video card to be tenable.

Sadly it looks like if you want a locally available current-gen video card that fits without any hassles, you'll need to settle for the poorly reviewed 4060/4060ti or a 7600.

Do acoustics make any difference with side panel off on gpu side? I have the same card and haven't had it screaming yet but I don't think I've stressed test that hard yet.

Straander

Chassis Packer
Nov 19, 2020
Do acoustics make any difference with side panel off on gpu side? I have the same card and haven't had it screaming yet but I don't think I've stressed test that hard yet.
Yes. Popping off the side panel when you're running a benchmark that's stressing the GPU instantly reduces the volume to inconsiderable levels. That's why I'm confident that installing a side panel spacer would fix the problem.

Maybe I should try that mod people have done for other cards where you replace the GPU riser cable standoffs with smaller ones...

Straander

Chassis Packer
Nov 19, 2020
If you can, run Timespy and let me know if youre opinion is similar to mine. That should max out the GPU no matter what.

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020
If you can, run Timespy and let me know if youre opinion is similar to mine. That should max out the GPU no matter what.
Confirmed. The closed side panel is a lot louder than no side panel.

I can't say I've played games that made it this loud but I suppose it's inevitable. I tested with no in-game audio; I feel like with speakers or headphones it would be acceptable. But that's just me.

Undervolting or different stand-offs like you mentioned could be the way to go. Keep me posted.

Reactions: Straander

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
For me it gets alot louder above 1400rpm for the gpu fans - 1400 is still enough for my RX6800. Try to figure out where your threshold is and if that rpm is still enough for the card and profit.

prideauxdc

Chassis Packer
Sep 22, 2023
I run an Inno3D 3070ti in my A4 and it runs cool and quiet, assisted by a bottom intake fan, riser standoffs, and a conservative undervolt. That’s a 290W card, so I‘d think the 4070ti (285W) would be at home in the A4 too.
What do you mean by riser standoffs?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
What do you mean by riser standoffs?

An riser cable is usually attached onto 2 stand offs in the most common SFF cases, kinda like an motherboard isn't attached directly to the case, but rather screwed into 4 or 9 different stand offs.

Mirgus

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 16, 2019
Just upgraded my 5700 XT since its just not fust enough for my Quest 3.

I really wanted to buy a 7900 XT or hell even a 7800 XT but they just dont fit into this case :( and i really dont want to change the case. So i bought the 4070 Super from Inno3d which fits perfect into to case and its surprisingly quiet. Didnt even need to buy a new PSU since the SF450 is enough for this card :)

Kinda wanted to buy the 4070Ti Super with 16GB VRAM, but 300 € extra over the 4070 Super is just... ridicolous. Rather save that money for the next GPU upgrade.

BartHaare

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 11, 2020
Hi, i got the A4 V1, does anyone know if the Minisforum BD790i will fit? I'm not sure because of the hight with a fan, but maybe with an 120x15mm it could fit?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Just upgraded my 5700 XT since its just not fust enough for my Quest 3.

I really wanted to buy a 7900 XT or hell even a 7800 XT but they just dont fit into this case :( and i really dont want to change the case. So i bought the 4070 Super from Inno3d which fits perfect into to case and its surprisingly quiet. Didnt even need to buy a new PSU since the SF450 is enough for this card :)

Kinda wanted to buy the 4070Ti Super with 16GB VRAM, but 300 € extra over the 4070 Super is just... ridicolous. Rather save that money for the next GPU upgrade.

Nice build :) Although I'd clean those Chromax fans, they have turned grey rather than black due to the dust :p ...

A tip is to look at PSlate Customs regarding custom 12VHPWR for that 4070. Will not only look better, but is also a lot more flexible than that included adapater. Since that bend doesn't look all that nice on that adapter.

I've ordered several cables from them, from everything from Meshlicious, to A4 SFX, to the NR200P. All been more or less perfect lengths, good quality and good investment in my opinion. Much nicer cable management and aesthetics :)

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2019
Has anyone ever had an issue with their GPU not fully sitting in the PCIE riser?

Just got a new 4.1 and MSI 4070 Ventus, and you can kind of see it in the image below that the left side of the GPU is higher than the right when attempting to seat the GPU fully in the riser - there's no way to get that left side to go in completely.

It looks like what's happening is the support bracket on the GPU is preventing it from fully inserting...not sure if the problem is the location of the GPU bracket (too low), PCIE cutouts in the case (too high), or the installation of the riser (too low).

Not sure what to do, other than maybe trying to drill some additional holes in the riser so that I can lift it up a few mm. Or maybe having it slightly angled is ok and won't cause any stability issues...

Reactions: prideauxdc