DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Ngeloms

Chassis Packer
Sep 21, 2020
Just changed my CPU from Ryzen 5 5600X to Core i5 13400F and it was the best decision ever, specially when it comes to gaming.
Only 35~40W power comsumption in Hogwarts Legacy. That's insane!

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
That is a really strange sidegrade to make - in performance and power draw just too similar to spend money on it - but if you are happy...

Reactions: riba2233

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Aside from performance or efficiency, when it comes strictly to cooling, which is the cpu is easier to cool? 12400 or 13400?

sokolado

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 23, 2023
Hey guys. Any way to fit Asus RTX 4070 Dual OC? Length is fine, but thickness in 0.5cm more. I am disappointed...

Spunkie

Case Bender
New User
Dec 27, 2020
What the best AMD GPU that fix this A4 now?

I know for the longest time it was the RX 6800 reference but I've had an absolutely cursed time getting my hands on one these past few years. Was kind of hoping there was something in the new amd 7000 series what would be better and fit in the A4?

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I've seen a few posts saying that the RX6800 is good in itself, but just as the 3080 that also fits - both just too hot inside this case. Just because something fits, it doesn't mean that it should be used, otherwise we could say that the 13900K is the best cpu for the A4-SFX. It also has to run comfortably, quietly and cool.
I think currently a plain 4070 is the way to go. It's dual slot, powerful and able to dish out that performance with just 200w - which is probably the max that should be used here. Inno3D's X3 model is possibly the best option having triple fans and the longest heatsink, maximizing the 300mm length limit and also vertical fins.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I run an Inno3D 3070ti in my A4 and it runs cool and quiet, assisted by a bottom intake fan, riser standoffs, and a conservative undervolt. That’s a 290W card, so I‘d think the 4070ti (285W) would be at home in the A4 too.

Reactions: rfarmer

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
@nightshift And who says the RX6800 with a mere 215W is too hot in this case? It is just the perfect card - very efficient and can easily be 15% underpowered without sacrificing more than 5% performance.

The 3080 times with 10GB VRAM are just over. It is fine as long as you have one anyway but nobody should still buy it.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I run an Inno3D 3070ti in my A4 and it runs cool and quiet, assisted by a bottom intake fan, riser standoffs, and a conservative undervolt. That’s a 290W card, so I‘d think the 4070ti (285W) would be at home in the A4 too.
I also had that card within the Dan A4 (see page 219 of this thread) but returned it, as one fan had a ticking sound and it ran a bit too hot for my taste at load and also got noisy above 70'C. This made me think that 200w should be the max here and the 4070 seems ideal, being the gpu with the most performance at this consumption.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I also had that card within the Dan A4 (see page 219 of this thread) but returned it, as one fan had a ticking sound and it ran a bit too hot for my taste at load and also got noisy above 70'C. This made me think that 200w should be the max here and the 4070 seems ideal, being the gpu with the most performance at this consumption.
I have the Inno3d 4070 Ti and with just a mild undervolt mine sees a max temp of 67C with only 165W power draw. Fan speed is at 40% so it is also very quiet.

Reactions: Bonusround

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I have the Inno3d 4070 Ti and with just a mild undervolt mine sees a max temp of 67C with only 165W power draw. Fan speed is at 40% so it is also very quiet.
Sorry, page 218:) I remember the card being very quiet at low rpm but really audible above 60% and above. It looked damn good though, easily the best looking gpu I've seen... ever. But even it's newer rendition with nearly +50% of higher consumption (200w vs. 285w) for being the "Ti" of the same category of the 4070 is a no for me.

mhkr3

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 29, 2023
After i asked for advice a month ago i build my first sff pc and it was harder than i thought. These are the components i bought:

Case: Dan A4 4.1
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
Mainboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro Ax
GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6650 XT
PSU: Corsair SF750 SFX
Storage: WD_Black SN770 1TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4-3200
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
Fan: Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM

I watched countless build videos, read a lot of posts and thought i was fully prepared, but i was not.

1. The PCI riser cable was bent in such a way that it was impossible to put the NF-A9x14 underneath. I read that you could bend the cable with a hairdryer, but i didn't want to risk damaging it and don't really know how hard you can bend it before it breaks. I decided to not install the fan.
2. I tried to use the anti vibration mounts of the NF-A9 fan, but couldn't get them all the way through the top, even with tweezers. After a lot of tries i used the normal screws.
3. I thought installing the M.2 SSD would be easy, but the mainboard differs from other mainboards as it has a small part on the left side that you need to take off with a pair of pliers. Nothing about this is in the manual. I found one Youtube Video of a guy explaining this.
4. I read that the fins of the CPU cooler should be installed vertically for better airflow, but i could only install it horizontally as there wasn't enough space to put it any other way.
5. The case has a USB port that i can't connect to my mainboard. I think i need an adapter for this.
6. At first I didn't know which cable to put in which PSU slot. The labeling is stylish, but confused me. I thought i could damage everything, if i get it wrong.
7. Cable management is very, very hard.

In the end everything worked out. It even booted on first try and the temperatures are also good. I love this case. It is really beautiful and the size is amazing. It was just harder to build a sff pc than i initially thought.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
After i asked for advice a month ago i build my first sff pc and it was harder than i thought. These are the components i bought:

Case: Dan A4 4.1
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
Mainboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro Ax
GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6650 XT
PSU: Corsair SF750 SFX
Storage: WD_Black SN770 1TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4-3200
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
Fan: Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM

I watched countless build videos, read a lot of posts and thought i was fully prepared, but i was not.

1. The PCI riser cable was bent in such a way that it was impossible to put the NF-A9x14 underneath. I read that you could bend the cable with a hairdryer, but i didn't want to risk damaging it and don't really know how hard you can bend it before it breaks. I decided to not install the fan.
2. I tried to use the anti vibration mounts of the NF-A9 fan, but couldn't get them all the way through the top, even with tweezers. After a lot of tries i used the normal screws.
3. I thought installing the M.2 SSD would be easy, but the mainboard differs from other mainboards as it has a small part on the left side that you need to take off with a pair of pliers. Nothing about this is in the manual. I found one Youtube Video of a guy explaining this.
4. I read that the fins of the CPU cooler should be installed vertically for better airflow, but i could only install it horizontally as there wasn't enough space to put it any other way.
5. The case has a USB port that i can't connect to my mainboard. I think i need an adapter for this.
6. At first I didn't know which cable to put in which PSU slot. The labeling is stylish, but confused me. I thought i could damage everything, if i get it wrong.
7. Cable management is very, very hard.

In the end everything worked out. It even booted on first try and the temperatures are also good. I love this case. It is really beautiful and the size is amazing. It was just harder to build a sff pc than i initially thought.
Your build came out good. Building in a SFF case can be challenging, espeically one as small as the A4-SFX. Here is an adapter you can use that will connect the USB 3.0 header to the USB type C front panel. Cable management can be tough, you did very well but if you don't mind spending a bit some unsleeved custom cables make a huge difference in cable management and will help improve airflow on that bottom fan.

mhkr3

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 29, 2023
Your build came out good. Building in a SFF case can be challenging, espeically one as small as the A4-SFX. Here is an adapter you can use that will connect the USB 3.0 header to the USB type C front panel. Cable management can be tough, you did very well but if you don't mind spending a bit some unsleeved custom cables make a huge difference in cable management and will help improve airflow on that bottom fan.
Thanks for the link to the adapter, i'll definitely buy one. As this is more of a low budget build i don't know if i'll add custom cables, but it is nice to know that this option exists.