DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Odrhann

Efficiency Noob
Aug 22, 2022
Well, here are the most terrible photos ever, but eh it works!

I have returned my 3060 and grab a 3060Ti for the same price,
now setting the processor to eco mode, and I am undervolting step by step
the gpu. Things are barely reaching the 70s °C with pushing games,
and the fans are so silent I hear the coils whine...

The gpu is really good, most of the time in the high 50s ; and ambient is pretty high right now in South of France with no AC!

I might make a power plan without boost, cause 3.5Ghz is plenty and it would be even cooler.

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020
I've had the V2 for years and decided to put aside the asetec aio for the black ridge. It's using only a 92mm noctua but I'm sure that'll change in the future.

The amount of space I gained and the assembly difference is crazy.

Before for reference:

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Well, here are the most terrible photos ever, but eh it works!

I have returned my 3060 and grab a 3060Ti for the same price,
now setting the processor to eco mode, and I am undervolting step by step
the gpu. Things are barely reaching the 70s °C with pushing games,
and the fans are so silent I hear the coils whine...

The gpu is really good, most of the time in the high 50s ; and ambient is pretty high right now in South of France with no AC!

I might make a power plan without boost, cause 3.5Ghz is plenty and it would be even cooler.

That seems pretty nice. One thing I can mention perhaps is to turn the cooler heatsink orientation upside down so that the heatpipes are facing up. Still, there might be no difference, but who knows. Also, these AsRock boards are great with the L9a since the VRM heatsink is so low-profile, the horizontal fins of the cpu cooler will provide good airflow. This can be further enhanced by removing the I/O shield for ventilation.
With a nice fan curve setup for your cooler fan and nice cable management (nice results can be achieved even with stock cables) you should be fine without turning on eco mode. Your setup is perfectly capable leaving it boost a little just undervolted a bit. There are some nice video guides about this I think.
Anyway, this looks very nice.

Odrhann

Efficiency Noob
Aug 22, 2022
It is redone, NT-H2, cooler correctly oriented, no io shield... thought I'm nervous with it! Look at that!

Oh my!

oynasun

Efficiency Noob
Aug 11, 2019
Has anyone thought of reducing the enclosure size of SATA SSD hard drive, in order to install two of them to the front of the chassis? I found this pic below from the internet and I believe we can totally cut the enclosure size in half; also it's light enough to be fastened by just two screws.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: VR4EVER

oynasun

Efficiency Noob
Aug 11, 2019
If this is possible, I am considering having two 4TB version of Samsung 870 evo mounted in front of A4-sfx, and setting up Raid0 on them for faster speed and higher capacity. I guess moving the PCBs to two 3d printed smaller cases (or just one with connections on both ends) should work?

Odrhann

Efficiency Noob
Aug 22, 2022
After some misadventure with whiny PSU and GPU, I got replacements. My first 3060ti was doing 1860mhz at 900mV, the new one makes it to 1950mhz 1980mhz 1950mhz at 900mV. There was no SF600 left, but I was able to grab SF750 for 15 euros more. There is no getting rid of a minimum of coil whine, but the new gear is top performing.

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Upon snagging a perfectly preserved 2060 Super Windfocre rev.2 from the used market while searching for parts for a build for a relative, I am now having second thoughts about letting it go and just keeping it instead while enjoy using the marvelous Dan A4 again. Here it is next to my beloved Velka 3.

While all is well with the great cooling potential of the AXP-90 Full Copper, the mounting screws are way too short to have a backplate. And that I do not like.

Does anyone knows if the Alpenfoln Black Ridge can be mounted with the Noctua L9i/L9a kit, so that I can use that backplate with it?

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2019
Upon snagging a perfectly preserved 2060 Super Windfocre rev.2 from the used market while searching for parts for a build for a relative, I am now having second thoughts about letting it go and just keeping it instead while enjoy using the marvelous Dan A4 again. Here it is next to my beloved Velka 3.

While all is well with the great cooling potential of the AXP-90 Full Copper, the mounting screws are way too short to have a backplate. And that I do not like.

Does anyone knows if the Alpenfoln Black Ridge can be mounted with the Noctua L9i/L9a kit, so that I can use that backplate with it?
Are you in a dorm or something?

VR4EVER

Cable Smoosher
Feb 18, 2020
youtu.be
Has anyone thought of reducing the enclosure size of SATA SSD hard drive, in order to install two of them to the front of the chassis? I found this pic below from the internet and I believe we can totally cut the enclosure size in half; also it's light enough to be fastened by just two screws.

Any thoughts?
Please keep us updated if you actually tried that.

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020
Quick question. My pcie lane on my mobo failed and my video card got corrupted and failed, too. Likely a psu voltage spike.

In between I had the riser. I've got a new mobo, backup video card, and psu ready to go.

Should I totally avoid using that riser or is it worth testing with the new parts?

Last edited:

Kaiken

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2022

I heard it does. My Black Ridge comes in this week so I'll let you know for sure.

Kaiken

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2022
It does. Helps with stability but the Black Ridge screws are still very tricky. They really never tighten very snug so you have to kind of feel out the resistance per screw and hope they are all the same.

So far so good with my 3800x3D thermals. Idling at 38c and gaming in the mid 70s after some voltage tweaks. Light taskes can easily bring it up to the 60s at times though. I previously had a 5600x with the L9a and the CPU fan are a bit more audible at times but happy with the performance boost as tradeoff. I might squeeze another fan under the motherboard and finally call this build complete.

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020

namakeingo

Cable Smoosher
Jun 26, 2020
I was considering doing a new PC with this case as the base. However, I was thinking in term of future-proofing if it is a good time to buy it. Is there any plan for a new revision? Maybe with PCI-E 5.0?