DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Turtle

Case Bender
New User
Aug 9, 2021
confirming the Inno3D 3070 Ti/ 3080 Ti X3 fits (same cooler for either card, I have the 3070 Ti), see picture of my setup here:

additional pics of it in operation with fans spinning and no issue, still a 1-2mm gap remains after squeezing in all that GPU. other side of the rig too to complete it.

If you don’t mind me asking, what was the price you paid for the GPU and did you buy it through a European or other country’s vendor? Don’t see any available postings for US Vendors but do see posting in other countries. I’m not sure what MSRP would be for other currencies or if its just supposed to convert exactly from msrp in dollars to other currency.

hengster

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2020
If you don’t mind me asking, what was the price you paid for the GPU and did you buy it through a European or other country’s vendor? Don’t see any available postings for US Vendors but do see posting in other countries. I’m not sure what MSRP would be for other currencies or if its just supposed to convert exactly from msrp in dollars to other currency.
there is a local distributor here in Singapore selling it at 1300-1350 (July 2021 street pricing) local currency (SGD) with local warranty coverage, which is around EUR 850 or USD 1000. for a 3070 Ti it is surely not the intended MSRP of SGD 899 with that 50% mark-up, while the prices are dropping since then.
this is the listing: https://leapfroglobal.com/amg/inno3d-rtx-3070-ti

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Case Bender
New User
Aug 9, 2021
there is a local distributor here in Singapore selling it at 1300-1350 (July 2021 street pricing) local currency (SGD) with local warranty coverage, which is around EUR 850 or USD 1000. for a 3070 Ti it is surely not the intended MSRP of SGD 899 with that 50% mark-up, while the prices are dropping since then.
this is the listing: https://leapfroglobal.com/amg/inno3d-rtx-3070-ti
Ahh got it thank you for the reply! I’ll keep an eye out for this GPU then for any reasonable price drops under EU markets. At this rate listed MSRP seems like wishful thinking as we near 2022 already. I really prefer this GPU over the compatible EVGA GPUs in the same tier.

Reactions: hengster

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020
didn't have to remove the backplate, it fits nicely without, unlike EVGA 30xx XC3 Ultra (not Black) cards where the backplate interferes because they are really thicker than 40mm overall. i had to loosen the frame screws at the back of the GPU in order to fit it is, exactly as dan mentioned for GPUs longer than 293mm.
Hi, which "screws at the back of the GPU" did you have to loosen... im a bit lost? Are you talking about the case frame or the card itself. Asking as I just ordered the 3080 ti version of this card - for a relatively reasonable price ;) (will post some images once assembled) Thanks!

*EDIT - no longer getting the card, purchase got cancelled by the seller :(

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: hengster

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
Can somebody please help me understand the description from here: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_spec.html
Compatibility - Width
Without backplate: 40 mm
Including backplate: 45 mm

I assume 99% of GPUs sold come with a backplate to protect the back PCB. Does it mean that if I leave the card intact I can go up to 45mm in size?

I have the new Radeon RX 6600 XT in my crosshairs as it seems super energy efficient (below 150W under load)^ making it good candidate for a build like this unfortunately the master list^ shows that all the GPUs are 41mm and above (some are even 45 or 46mm)

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
Can somebody please help me understand the description from here: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_spec.html
Compatibility - Width
Without backplate: 40 mm
Including backplate: 45 mm

I assume 99% of GPUs sold come with a backplate to protect the back PCB. Does it mean that if I leave the card intact I can go up to 45mm in size?

I have the new Radeon RX 6600 XT in my crosshairs as it seems super energy efficient (below 150W under load)^ making it good candidate for a build like this unfortunately the master list^ shows that all the GPUs are 41mm and above (some are even 45 or 46mm)
@dondan can you please provide opinion on this? Thank you.

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I do not know how to make this more clear? Some cards are specified including the backplate to the width and some cards without.
The easiest way to find out if the card will fit is looking at the slot bracket view. If the card is higher than the slot bracket it will not fit.

Removing the backplate will make some cards fits that are minimal higher than the slot bracket.

Will not fit:

Will fit:

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
I do not know how to make this more clear? Some cards are specified including the backplate to the width and some cards without.
The easiest way to find out if the card will fit is looking at the slot bracket view. If the card is higher than the slot bracket it will not fit.

Removing the backplate will make some cards fits that are minimal higher than the slot bracket.

Will not fit:

Will fit:

This whole time I thought that it's all about protecting the back chips so for exposed PCBs like this:

You recommended 40mm maximum width, so my assumption was you are leaving 5mm as reserve so it does not touch anything else.

While the protected backplate could go to 45mm because it has the plate in place so there won't be a short circuit right...

I suppose that's why the installation without backplate can go only to 40mm while the one WITH backplate can go to 45mm as it does not matter if it touches, am I correct?

My apologies for not just "going with it" and asking so many question but in my region I can't easily return products so whatever I buy I really need to be sure it fits.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This whole time I thought that it's all about protecting the back chips so for exposed PCBs like this:

You recommended 40mm maximum width, so my assumption was you are leaving 5mm as reserve so it does not touch anything else.

While the protected backplate could go to 45mm because it has the plate in place so there won't be a short circuit right...

I suppose that's why the installation without backplate can go only to 40mm while the one WITH backplate can go to 45mm as it does not matter if it touches, am I correct?

My apologies for not just "going with it" and asking so many question but in my region I can't easily return products so whatever I buy I really need to be sure it fits.
I think you're getting this turned around - at least this is how I am interpreting this:
If the GPU's thickness specification includes the backplate, then it can be up to 45mm.
If the GPU's thickness specification does not include the backplate (but the card most likely still has one!), then it can't be thicker than 40mm, as there will inevitably be "additional" thickness behind the PCB from the backplate that isn't accounted for in the spec.
In both cases, actual, physical thickness of the GPU can be the same - up to 45mm total - the difference is how thickness is measured and specified by the GPU maker.

I might be the one who has everything turned around in my head, but at least this is how I understand what has been said.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I think you're getting this turned around - at least this is how I am interpreting this:
If the GPU's thickness specification includes the backplate, then it can be up to 45mm.
If the GPU's thickness specification does not include the backplate (but the card most likely still has one!), then it can't be thicker than 40mm, as there will inevitably be "additional" thickness behind the PCB from the backplate that isn't accounted for in the spec.
In both cases, actual, physical thickness of the GPU can be the same - up to 45mm total - the difference is how thickness is measured and specified by the GPU maker.

I might be the one who has everything turned around in my head, but at least this is how I understand what has been said.
This is a very good interpretation. Again, as dondan said, checking the rear view provides a good indication as well to see if the card is two slot or maybe a little more. Btw, I use a gpu that's without a backplate and it's fine. The plastic sheet protects the card from making contact with the metal backplate.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The riser is mounted on two 5mm stand offs. This means every card will have 5mm behind its PCB to the motherboard tray. So it doesnt matter if your GPU has a backplate or not. In the other direction from the PCB to the side panel there will be 40.5 mm. So the total width of your card yould be 45.5mm. But some vendors does not include the backplate to the width calculation because in a normal case it doesnt matter.

If you now buy a card with 45mm where the backplate is not taken into the calculation it will not fit. This is why I said look at the slot bracket view.

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020

So I finally got the INNO3D X3 3080 TI OC :) Paid only 6400 PLN (around 1400 euro which I think is a great price given the market situation)

Here are some observations (sorry but they are in no particular order):

a) you do not need to unscrew any of the main frame screws to make the card fit inside the case. The card slides in no problem provided that you insert it "port side" first and with a “very gentle scrape” of the other side of the case with the GPU it fits like a glove! This is important for me as I like to take out my card every now and then and give it a clean - having to take apart the whole case each time would not be fun.

b) don’t know what your experience with GPU delivery is but mine arrived with a bent backplate (it was evidently dropped hard during transport). However, everything seems to work (I bent the backplate back and found no other visible damage). Weird thing is that one of the fans makes a coil like sound (or as if one of the fins is gently scraping something) at low rpm, nothing that bothers me but was wondering if anyone else with a INNO3D X3 3080ti/3070ti has the same issue. It’s definitely a bearing issue or perhaps a misaligned fan (they are a teeny tiny bit wobbly…) However good thing is that the fans do not spin when the card sits below 40c which in my case means almost all the time...

c) the temps while gaming (Total War Warhammer 2, Witcher 3) are around 70-72c with fans set to 75% in afterburner. The card is very silent up to about 70% fan speed, after that the sound begins to change to that of a blower card. At 100% fan speed it sounds like a jet taking off with afterburners on...

d) both of my bottom case fans are set to exhaust (the one under the motherboard is the 14mm thick 92mm noctua version, the other under the psu is the 25 mm version of the fan– I highly recommend putting a 25mm fan under the PSU instead of the 14mm due to better performance and lower noise levels – you can run it at 100% and barely hear it). Also, I have a pair of custom rubber legs installed on the case that lift it up by another 3mm from the table (compered to stock legs). Gives it that extra clearance for the fans to blow air from underneath the card while still maintaining that sexy DAN a4 look 😉

e) still must do a bit of cable management, however I found that the best way to route the two PCIE 8 pin cables to the GPU is to squeeze them in between the PSU and RAM gap (hope you know what I’m talking about). Routing them any other way will require you to get custom cables as the ones provided by Corsair (sf750) are too short.

f) as for performance, with a slight overclock I can get the card to boost around 1900-2000 mhz constant (with a 180mhz overclock on the clock, and 1500 on the memory). I find it a bit weird as the boost clock for these GPU’s is 1680 so… 1680+afterburner overclock of 180 =(roughly) 1860…. I don’t know where am I getting that extra 100-150mhz clock boost??? Perhaps a weird benefit of it being dropped during delivery? Haha, whatever it is the GPU is even better than stock! Lol

g) useless advice: unrelated to the GPU topic, you can install a 40mm fan just on top of the RAM (shown in the images) and get a whopping 1c drop in temps on the CPU. Totally worth it!

h) do you think the case needs more RGB? I had a cryorig RGB cpu fan but now that I have the AXP 90 it no longer fits and there are no quality 92mm RGB fans out on the market ☹

i) Full PC specs: AMD 5600x, Asus x570-I, 32GB gskill 3600mhz cl14 Ram, 3080 ti, sf750 PSU, AXP-90 copper cpu cooler, duct tape, some rgb and an empty wallet…

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
That's a pretty specced up build. Can you fit another slim noctua fan instead of the original on that AXP-90? Might worth a try. I'm wondering why the full copper version is only available from AliExpress while I see the regular, the full black and even a full white version available elsewhere (latter two only has copper heatpipes, rest is aluminum).
As for the card, I also tried the 3070 ti. Found it around 950 eur - still overpriced, but at least not by much. Originally I did not want to upgrade, but I read some reviews that were praising it a lot. Lower power consumption and noise than the FE and who could resist those gorgeous looks. Since this card is so well optimized and not just fits, but looks like if it is literally part of the case, I doubt there will ever be a more suitable gpu in our lifetime (potato pics incoming).

Unfortunately, I noticed that one of the fans produced a ticking sound. It did not make contact with anything, so I suspected that the bearing was faulty.
This made me to return the card with a heavy heart. Too bad as it was such a beauty and went so well with my all black, all dark (zero lights) build. Maybe it was just bad luck and changing it to another piece of the same product would've solved it. Then again, this was the first ever occasion when I heard my SF600 spinning, so who knows. Plan was to get the SP750 from Lian Li as well to have even more brushed black metal surface in my build and achieve aesthetic perfection. I'm now back to my trusty 2060.
I wish Inno3D would take this awesome design and make a 3060 Ti like this. A card that's between the 2080 super and the 2080 Ti but consuming significantly lower power and with just a single 8pin cable would perhaps be the most ideal for a small case like this (and I would not need to change my SF600). Now I'm thinking about the 2 slot rev.2/3 Gigabyte 3060 Ti Gaming (or the 8+6pin Gaming Pro) and wonder if it could be deshrouded with 3 slim noctuas given it's design and suitable length. Or even just fan swapped - it worked well with my Gigabyte 2060 and the fans are the same size and so are their tri-arc mounting.

Last edited:
Reactions: White Wolf

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020
That's a pretty specced up build. Can you fit another slim noctua fan instead of the original on that AXP-90? Might worth a try. I'm wondering why the full copper version is only available from AliExpress while I see the regular, the full black and even a full white version available elsewhere (latter two only has copper heatpipes, rest is aluminum).
As for the card, I also tried the 3070 ti. Found it around 950 eur - still overpriced, but at least not by much. Originally I did not want to upgrade, but I read some reviews that were praising it a lot. Lower power consumption and noise than the FE and who could resist those gorgeous looks. Since this card is so well optimized and not just fits, but looks like if it is literally part of the case, I doubt there will ever be a more suitable gpu in our lifetime (potato pics incoming).

Unfortunately, I noticed that one of the fans produced a ticking sound. It did not make contact with anything, so I suspected that the bearing was faulty.
This made me to return the card with a heavy heart. Too bad as it was such a beauty and went so well with my all black, all dark (zero lights) build. Maybe it was just bad luck and changing it to another piece of the same product would've solved it. Then again, this was the first ever occasion when I heard my SF600 spinning, so who knows. Plan was to get the SP750 from Lian Li as well to have even more brushed black metal surface in my build and achieve aesthetic perfection. I'm now back to my trusty 2060.
I wish Inno3D would take this awesome design and make a 3060 Ti like this. A card that's between the 2080 super and the 2080 Ti but consuming significantly lower power and with just a single 8pin cable would perhaps be the most ideal for a small case like this (and I would not need to change my SF600). Now I'm thinking about the 2 slot rev.2/3 Gigabyte 3060 Ti Gaming (or the 8+6pin Gaming Pro) and wonder if it could be deshrouded with 3 slim noctuas given it's design and suitable length. Or even just fan swapped - it worked well with my Gigabyte 2060 and the fans are the same size and so are their tri-arc mounting.
Sad to hear that you retuned it, I would have stuck to it. Now that crypto miners have cracked 70% performance of the LHR cards I am expecting that soon they will unlock another 10-20%. That’s going to translate to no GPU’s and even more ridiculous prices. I think now is time to buy and if you can get anything that fits your case, I would stick to it before it’s too late. I just checked my inno3d 3080 ti from the seller I bought (X-Kom) and the price has already gone up by 150 euro and is now not in stock anymore…

Coming back to the fan problem you had, did you read my point on the fan issue I also experienced [point b) in the post above]? It is the same thing, however after a few days of usage it got much better to the point I don’t even hear it unless I put my ear right up against the case. Was worried that it was just my card that had the issue (due to it being damaged during transport) but it looks like you had the exact same thing. I guess the bearings might need a bit of time to break in.

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I did played it for 3 days. Too late now, I already returned it and even the money refund is done:) Needless to say, it is out of stock now. Your detailed post is appreciated as it's just what maybe others need considering the same gpu. Yet mine was not coiling as you referred in [point b], but produced a clicking sound. It was not too troubling, especially when the volume of a game was already there, but for even paying the retail scalper tax, I preferred to have a faultless piece.
Regardless of the games played, I'll be fine with what I have for now - the appeal of this gpu for me was mostly just how perfect it goes together with this case compared to any other, and since these cards are perhaps the most powerful non-blower 2 slot models, it was going to be something I planned to keep past upcoming generations of gpu's. We'll see what the future holds - particularly interested in what comes from the Asus-Noctua collaboration. Yet 2 slot cards are becoming a dying trend, so we'll see. In the meantime, I keep my eyes on those 3 fan Gigabyte 3060 Ti's.

Reactions: White Wolf

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017

So I finally got the INNO3D X3 3080 TI OC :) Paid only 6400 PLN (around 1400 euro which I think is a great price given the market situation)

Here are some observations (sorry but they are in no particular order):

a) you do not need to unscrew any of the main frame screws to make the card fit inside the case. The card slides in no problem provided that you insert it "port side" first and with a “very gentle scrape” of the other side of the case with the GPU it fits like a glove! This is important for me as I like to take out my card every now and then and give it a clean - having to take apart the whole case each time would not be fun.

b) don’t know what your experience with GPU delivery is but mine arrived with a bent backplate (it was evidently dropped hard during transport). However, everything seems to work (I bent the backplate back and found no other visible damage). Weird thing is that one of the fans makes a coil like sound (or as if one of the fins is gently scraping something) at low rpm, nothing that bothers me but was wondering if anyone else with a INNO3D X3 3080ti/3070ti has the same issue. It’s definitely a bearing issue or perhaps a misaligned fan (they are a teeny tiny bit wobbly…) However good thing is that the fans do not spin when the card sits below 40c which in my case means almost all the time...

c) the temps while gaming (Total War Warhammer 2, Witcher 3) are around 70-72c with fans set to 75% in afterburner. The card is very silent up to about 70% fan speed, after that the sound begins to change to that of a blower card. At 100% fan speed it sounds like a jet taking off with afterburners on...

d) both of my bottom case fans are set to exhaust (the one under the motherboard is the 14mm thick 92mm noctua version, the other under the psu is the 25 mm version of the fan– I highly recommend putting a 25mm fan under the PSU instead of the 14mm due to better performance and lower noise levels – you can run it at 100% and barely hear it). Also, I have a pair of custom rubber legs installed on the case that lift it up by another 3mm from the table (compered to stock legs). Gives it that extra clearance for the fans to blow air from underneath the card while still maintaining that sexy DAN a4 look 😉

e) still must do a bit of cable management, however I found that the best way to route the two PCIE 8 pin cables to the GPU is to squeeze them in between the PSU and RAM gap (hope you know what I’m talking about). Routing them any other way will require you to get custom cables as the ones provided by Corsair (sf750) are too short.

f) as for performance, with a slight overclock I can get the card to boost around 1900-2000 mhz constant (with a 180mhz overclock on the clock, and 1500 on the memory). I find it a bit weird as the boost clock for these GPU’s is 1680 so… 1680+afterburner overclock of 180 =(roughly) 1860…. I don’t know where am I getting that extra 100-150mhz clock boost??? Perhaps a weird benefit of it being dropped during delivery? Haha, whatever it is the GPU is even better than stock! Lol

g) useless advice: unrelated to the GPU topic, you can install a 40mm fan just on top of the RAM (shown in the images) and get a whopping 1c drop in temps on the CPU. Totally worth it!

h) do you think the case needs more RGB? I had a cryorig RGB cpu fan but now that I have the AXP 90 it no longer fits and there are no quality 92mm RGB fans out on the market ☹

i) Full PC specs: AMD 5600x, Asus x570-I, 32GB gskill 3600mhz cl14 Ram, 3080 ti, sf750 PSU, AXP-90 copper cpu cooler, duct tape, some rgb and an empty wallet…

This being a two slot card are you able to put the sides on the case while gaming?