Concept Customizable Mini STX case

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
If I make 5-9 of them, $60 each. For 10 or more, it could be in the $50 to $55 range. I think this could be a fair price given that Silverstone sells $35-$40 cases out of plastic and SECC.

Do you think VESA mounting would be a popular option?
Not for me personally but both the DeskMini and Silverstone have VESA mounting so it might be popular.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Not for me personally but both the DeskMini and Silverstone have VESA mounting so it might be popular.
Okay, just wondering if I'll do that or not. Could be that I'll just add holes on the opposite side of the case to make it compatible with Asrock's VESA mount since that one is sold independently.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
If I make 5-9 of them, $60 each. For 10 or more, it could be in the $50 to $55 range. I think this could be a fair price given that Silverstone sells $35-$40 cases out of plastic and SECC.

Do you think VESA mounting would be a popular option?

My STX motherboard model should have the IO on the board, which is accurately placed.

If you can do $60 apiece, that would be really good.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
My STX motherboard model should have the IO on the board, which is accurately placed.

If you can do $60 apiece, that would be really good.

If you can take measurements of the I/O placement, that would be great.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I might consider having one made by 3D printing the shell as a proof-of-concept. It's a simple case anyways and since it's small maybe I'll try a more refined printing process like SLS or SLA.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I don't know how I totally missed that you were working on this. I have one of those "NUC"s sitting on my desk for months now, waiting for me to get around to doing something with it - so I immediately recognized where you got your inspiration from with your latest renders!

Reactions: CC Ricers

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Your STX case design is incredible!

Do you plan to have the grill/mesh removable? Seems like this could be a neat case for running a passively cooled STX system, with a giant heatsink poking out the top (I have that passive CPU heatsink that Noctua is developing in mind).

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Your STX case design is incredible!

Do you plan to have the grill/mesh removable? Seems like this could be a neat case for running a passively cooled STX system, with a giant heatsink poking out the top (I have that passive CPU heatsink that Noctua is developing in mind).

Yes, it's removable since it's held on by screws you can leave the opening without the mesh. The heatsink will have to fit through a hole roughly 110mm in diameter for that to work.

Reactions: Donut

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm revisiting this project again if there is interest in custom STX cases. Having the exterior piece be bent metal might be too tall of an order for now. But what if the exterior were made of.. wood? I know that would still have appeal for many people.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
I'm revisiting this project again if there is interest in custom STX cases. Having the exterior piece be bent metal might be too tall of an order for now. But what if the exterior were made of.. wood? I know that would still have appeal for many people.
I'm happy to see you are continuing this project. I'd find it even more appealing if it had wood panels. Would set it apart from any other STX case available.

Reactions: CC Ricers

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Would you have ponko or some similar companies CNC route them / laser cut them?

If you did a dark oak, or a cherry maple, that would look really cool.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Proabably, Ponoko has a good variety of wood materials. CNC might be a bit too much for these cases. Other than that maybe custom aluminum extrusions but I have yet to find out what a minimum cost for those would be.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Proabably, Ponoko has a good variety of wood materials. CNC might be a bit too much for these cases. Other than that maybe custom aluminum extrusions but I have yet to find out what a minimum cost for those would be.
Going off the topic title, are you planning to provide a choice of wood type (assuming you go with wood)? I agree with Windfall about darker wood colors looking nice, but we could be just a vocal minority.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Going off the topic title, are you planning to provide a choice of wood type (assuming you go with wood)? I agree with Windfall about darker wood colors looking nice, but we could be just a vocal minority.
Yes, that should be possible. I have a preference for solid wood over wood veneer for a higher quality look. Another thing to keep in mind is laser cutting leaves higher contract marks on the cuts with lighter wood than with darker wood.

Living hinges are a popular way to make wood materials bend around curves. The radii of the corners is not too large to begin with, so it opens the possibility to even 3D print or machine some of the parts in order to have the other pieces fit in place. So imagine the interior flat pieces are still metal but attached via the corners with parts made of wood or other material.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Doing some quick brainstorming and I might have figured out a way to make the corners. They will be 3D printed out of a strong material and are the parts that will connect the laser cut panels. Exterior panels would have the option of either wood or metal. Outer dimensions will change only slightly.

The current renders of the case didn't show any way to attach panels from inside, but the corner pieces will accomplish that. I'll have to get back into Fusion to draft it out.

Reactions: Arboreal