Stalled Custom_MOD MINI

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I'm not going to say that I blame serg here, because I don't believe any of it is his fault. But I do believe his manufacturer is at fault here. There's no excuses for their poor tolerances. If I was him I'd demand they replace damn near every chassis they've made for him. Shits ridiculous. I love the idea of this chassis. And there was some flaws that didn't work out well for mine. And that was a shame I sucked it up and moved on. But I asked if he'd consider remaking these out of steel simply because the cost is lower and for the quality they're giving him. I'd say that's what id shoot for. Plus it would be a hell of a lot more structurally sound and that was one of the big issues I had with mine aside from one of my brackets that the front panel screwed onto basically breaking when I screwed the front panel back on. Obviously a prototype would have to be made in order to adjust for the different materials because there will be fitment issues if you use the same files for both materials but overall i.think it would.help this chassis in the long run

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the metal shop's fault for all of the fitment issues. But the creator himself shouldn't be let off the hook. Quality control of the cases before shipping them out should've been done.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

bakakiba

Chassis Packer
Oct 13, 2017
Like most of you have said, its the manufacturers fault here but at the same time its Sergeii who assembles them? Even if its not Sergeii, there should be some kind of quality checking. I would totally understand if there is like 50-100 cases to go through and he doesnt have time to verify but we are talking about 5-8 cases each month and to assemble them and verify the quality after 6-8 batches should be a routine.

Isnt it also Sergeii who packages them and sends them? I would say its the same here he could just unscrew the sidepanels and verify so everything looks ok.

If its a cheap case, i wouldnt mind it being not as good but imo its quite expensive.

I read EVGA cards hits the fan grill... I really hope it there will be clearance with the new batch as thats the card im going for..

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Mar 22, 2017
There should, 100%, be fittment checks before powerder coating to make sure everyting fits what has been listed on the front page. If it doesnt fit they should be doing the extra modding there to make sure it does, or if it can't be fixed let the customer know and say theirs will be made with the next batch to get it right.
That being said, we saw the posts previously an knew what we were getting into.

Serg is still making adjustments to every batch, once the design has been finalised i'm sure there will be a lot more consistancy. Having each case made to each customers specifications Usb/headphone jack/ventilation holes etc. desn't help either. To be honest I think he should move to a standard design to make the process easier.

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
There should, 100%, be fittment checks before powerder coating to make sure everyting fits what has been listed on the front page. If it doesnt fit they should be doing the extra modding there to make sure it does, or if it can't be fixed let the customer know and say theirs will be made with the next batch to get it right.
That being said, we saw the posts previously an knew what we were getting into.

Serg is still making adjustments to every batch, once the design has been finalised i'm sure there will be a lot more consistancy. Having each case made to each customers specifications Usb/headphone jack/ventilation holes etc. desn't help either. To be honest I think he should move to a standard design to make the process easier.
This is what should've happened. I understand trying to cater to everyone's need but it needs to have a standard design with little to no modifications at all to accommodate user's wants and not needs.

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
it's our fault. We are sorry that this happened and some of you received a not fully tested case. Thank you for writing about problems when installing your hardware. Many problems due to the fact that we wanted to make a VERY small case. With each revision, we eliminate the shortcomings by increasing the case. It gets bigger and it's a pain.

Reading the reviews became clear. The case needs to be increased by 2mm from the side of the video card. Also increase the height by 5 mm to raise the motherboard inside. Also, we will carefully check each case before shipping.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
When I ordered my case, I had Sergiiua expand the size to 108mm x 190mm x 190mm. I used these measurements to ensure that I could fit my components, and still maintain the original 3.24's style proportions. At this point though, I would highly suggest that the smallest this case is made, is 120x211x211. This would give an extra 18mm of width over the original 3.24L, and an extra 31mm of length and height all while maintaining the proportions of the original 3.24L.

3mm of the width can go to the video card side for proper alignment. 15mm of width could go to the CPU side to allow for coolers as tall as 52mm, and in particular, the DAN HSLP-48, or putting a full 25mm thick fan on the L9i

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
At this point though, I would highly suggest that the smallest this case is made, is 120x211x211. This would give an extra 18mm of width over the original 3.24L, and an extra 31mm of length and height all while maintaining the proportions of the original 3.24L.

That would make it a 5+ liter case? That's a completely different product at that point...

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
That would make it a 5+ liter case? That's a completely different product at that point...

Yes it would make it bigger. This is because as of right now, the 3.24 and 3.3 do not appear to have the manufacturing tolerances to allow for a smaller case. It's killing Sergii's reputation.

Honestly, a variant of this case already approaches 4.5L. This could be another variant of sorts.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
Honestly, there's no reason to make it this big. Instead of making space for the C7, @sergiiua could just make a version for the L9 and one for the C7.

Mini L9 Light : 108 x 185 x 190 (3.8L)
Mini L9 : 108 x 185 x 225 (4.5L)

Mini C7 Light : 120 x 185 x 190 (4.22L)
Mini C7 : 120 x 185 x 225 (5L)

I'm unclear why the 3.5L rev 5's height is 180mm while the 4.8L rev 5 is 185mm. @sergiiua, could you clarify this point please. I was assuming it was to correct the m/b i/o shield problem, but then if that was the case, the 3.5L version would also have a height of 185mm instead of the stated 180mm. The top part of the case doesn't need it, so ...

I've added 5mm of wit instead of @sergiiua's 2mm, because I think that is what it needs. That is, obviously from the stand point of the 4.0L rev 4 case. I also left the 190mm length version, although I wouldn't recommend it. It might be worth it to keep the light version, but make it 200mm. A 200mm version with no hdd tray would actually have enough room for the EVGA 1060 SC. The measurements would come to:

Mini L9 Light Sergiiua special: 105 x 185 x 190 (3.69L)
Mini L9 Light Sergiiua special #2: 105 x 185 x 200 (3.89L)
Mini L9 Light #3: 108 x 185 x 190 (3.8L)
Mini L9 Light #4: 108 x 185 x 200 (4L)

Mini C7 Light Sergiiua special: 117 x 185 x 190 (4.11L)
Mini C7 Light Sergiiua special #2: 117 x 185 x 200 (4.33L)
Mini C7 Light #3: 120 x 185 x 190 (4.22L)
Mini C7 Light #4: 120 x 185 x 200 (4.44L)

The point here is to show that it's still possible to have a 4L or sub 4L version even if that option is the Mini L9 Light #4 for which I believe should be the minimum size. There's no point saying, "can you make the standard a bit large" every time someone wants to have the ability to use something that falls out of scope. At that point, those people can just ask for a custom version. It's already great that a version for the C7 was made, but that doesn't mean everyone wants that extra space. Especially if they're using the L9.

So @sergiiua, I propose you make a 2 versions for the L9 and 2 versions of the C7. 1 version of each if you want to simplify it. But at least with 2 versions, and the sizes I proposed, you still have a sub 4L and your biggest case would be 5L. I think that's acceptable.

BTW, have you lowered the lip of the video card (were you screw the video card) in rev 5? Because I brought it up in my review earlier this week, but I didn't see you mention it yesterday. I think it should be lowered by maybe 2mm as the video card doesn't seem to go all the way in the PCI-E slot. Bare in mind that I'm not saying you should just lower the lip with the cutout. I think the cutout of the hole should go at least 2mm lower. That would make the hole of the 2mm taller. I'm suggesting it because that was a part of my install for the video card that was a bit tricky.

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: sergiiua

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
Come to think about it, @sergiiua should just make 2 versions of the L9 version as his standards. Anything else should be considered modding. Pay the extra and you'll get the size you need for your CPU heatsink and/or the length for your video card. End of story.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The main appeal of this case is obviously size, so the bigger you make it the less appeal it has. The 3.24L model was the truly revolutionary product, because it's literally as small as you can make an externally powered case with standard desktop components + full-height graphics card. A full 1L smaller than the S4 Mini, it's truly portable. It's smaller than the Aorus Gaming box.

With better manufacturing the case can be kept at 3.24L and still fit everything that's advertised. Dimensions weren't the issue, but manufacturing errors screwed up clearances. Manufacturing options are probably limited in Ukraine, but if Serg can find another manufacturer that can make the cases better, he'd make a lot more money.

Otherwise, it's unfortunately unrealistic to expect a case like this from a more "mainstream" (using the term very loosely) developer because it uses G-Unique, and it's difficult to bundle a product with an unlicensed PSU, even if it's highly reliable.

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
The issues I had with the 3.2 was the rivet that holds the Mobo tray to the front bend got in the way of the GPU. Obviously I had some more issues but the main issue that caused the 1060 aero itx not to fit was the rivet. If it didn't exist and maybe if there was slightly more room it would have worked. Hell in reality I didn't have any issues with the panel construction. The only issues I had we're frame related. My panels are still in perfect shape. I did have some alignment issues on the frame for motherboard but that's about it. I'd like to get another one eventually maybe in hopes that it's better but I'm just really hesitant. I'll probably wait till after I order my s4m for my vr machine

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
Dimensions weren't the issue...

I beg to differ. My review of the case was very clear on this. If you don't have enough space for the m/b shield, you have a dimension problem. If you can barely install a video card because the case isn't large enough, not long enough but large enough, you have a dimension problem.

I'm not saying there isn't a manufacturing problems, but there is a dimension problem as small as it might be.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
My experience has been very positive over all but I used very specific and smaller hardware. Rambling a bit here.. its late and I'm getting pretty tired so bear with me...

I have Batch one 3.24 Mod Mini and I had two issues. First one is where the GPU (EVGA 1050ti ) fan would hit the side panel. This was solved in one of two ways. Use the included screws to fasten the Riser to the back of the mobo tray with installed stand offs there. OR, I had to place a small ,thin foam square, folded paper or the like on the GPU shroud to hold it away from the side panel. Also my IO shield was very tight at the bottom of the case and to get that to fit I actually trimmed the flange off of that side of the IO shield. It would not seat properly with out doing this.

My biggest concern is that versions of the case advertise support for some GPUs (EVGA 1060, MSI/Giga 1070 mini etc) that absolutely will not fit without modding or at all--no matter what. So the spec sheet needs to reflect what will truly fit without any modding by the user. This solves a lot of issues right off the bat. No over promising and under delivering. Also get maybe 2-3 size options TOPS. Hammer QC and get the tolerances in order on said variants. I too suggest not even doing custom orders until the cases are coming out right 100% of the time with standard versions.

Maybe only 2 Mod Mini versions needed?

Version of the case that supports the Zotac Mini gpus that are longer (1070/1070ti/1080)
Version of the case that supports all the short itx gpus. 1050ti, 1060 evga, giga,msi aero, 1070 giga, msi aero, 1080 giga etc for the smallest of Mod Minis.

Basically in my experience from actual installs in the OG 3.2 version , the 1050ti from Zotac or EVGA fit with no modding of the GPU or case. I would like to get a 1060 in there to punch it up a notch but It isn't happening without modding. I really like the system and use it often but its my secondary box due to this albeit a very fun portable PC.

Otherwise, it's unfortunately unrealistic to expect a case like this from a more "mainstream" (using the term very loosely) developer because it uses G-Unique, and it's difficult to bundle a product with an unlicensed PSU, even if it's highly reliable.

I would like to see the Kmpkt direct plug supported to offer more PSU choices for all of Custom Mod's cases AND this PSU is easily obtained with the launch of SFFLAB.

As others have stated this is intended as constructive feedback for what I feel is a terrific chassis that is having teething issues drag on for a bit too long. @sergiiua keep pushing your designs and good luck!

Reactions: Curiosity

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I beg to differ. My review of the case was very clear on this. If you don't have enough space for the m/b shield, you have a dimension problem. If you can barely install a video card because the case isn't large enough, not long enough but large enough, you have a dimension problem.

I'm not saying there isn't a manufacturing problems, but there is a dimension problem as small as it might be.
That isn't to say it's not a tolerance problem on the manufacturer side.

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
@sergiiua, I took the time to look at the dimension of Dan A4-SFX as it relates well to the Mini. Specifically the video card side. If you look at this webpage, you will notice at the Graphics card section that they are compatible with cards that are 40mm width. The most interesting thing though is the next part that says 45mm for the backplate. Basically, they're saying we understand that the i/o plate of the video card protrudes a bit and we're giving a 5mm buffer.

Reactions: sergiiua

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
@sergiiua, just saw you updated the first page to rev 5.1. I think that will help with some of problems that were left.

I do hope that people will put some review of their case as per rev 5 and 5.1 when they'll received it so that the community might know if they are still challenges to overcome.

Flybird

Chassis Packer
Aug 4, 2017
I had already got my case. However, few problems occurs. 1, the switch Button is somehow reflected by the mainboard'a cover! I can't install it correctly. What should I do? remove the button then put on the cover? Otherwise the only choice right now is cut a tiny part of the cover to fulfill my switch button? 2, I got the gigabyte 1070mini, the case is still face the situation which I can't install my mainboard into it. How could I deal with those 2things? Pls rly me urgently.