Custom Streacom F1C SW Top Lid?

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Hey guys!

I've been planning out a new build and I've been seeing quite a few users with custom lids for the F1C SW, namely https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZZXPxr and https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mQhypg

The question is, did these people make these? I'm struggling to find anything online for "custom lids" for this case.

In particlar, that tempered glass/acrylic lid looks SUPER sexy, even if it draws in all the dust in the world. Oh well, the case is quite small and won't be too hard to clean out.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Here is my lid I made for a colleague a couple of years ago.

It’s turned up in a quite a few builds since then, if it’s 3d printed and uses a 140mm fan then it’s possible it’s like my design.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1928417

You could get that design printed at a local 3d shop or makerspace pretty cheaply in ABS. Or laser cut / cnc’d If you want it in another media.

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Here is my lid I made for a colleague a couple of years ago.

It’s turned up in a quite a few builds since then, if it’s 3d printed and uses a 140mm fan then it’s possible it’s like my design.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1928417

You could get that design printed at a local 3d shop or makerspace pretty cheaply in ABS. Or laser cut / cnc’d If you want it in another media.
This is fantastic. Thank you!

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Hey guys!

I've been planning out a new build and I've been seeing quite a few users with custom lids for the F1C SW, namely https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZZXPxr and https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mQhypg

The question is, did these people make these? I'm struggling to find anything online for "custom lids" for this case.

In particlar, that tempered glass/acrylic lid looks SUPER sexy, even if it draws in all the dust in the world. Oh well, the case is quite small and won't be too hard to clean out.
You wouldn’t happen to have a STEP file version? The reason being is because an STL using triangle geometry while a STEP does not, if I use the STL at a CNC service, the product will likely turn on jagged on the curves.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
@Hifihedgehog drop some photo's in here when you get it please. interested in how it turns out.
I have it incoming Monday with FedEx International Priority from FacFox. Laser cut in 2.4-mm thick aluminum 6061, anodized in black, and shipped with one-day express shipping, it came to just $40.17 plus $25.60 shipping. I imagine if this was manufactured to scale at 10 or more, it would be significantly less per part. Group buy opportunity? Judging by the photo they sent me, it looks impressive considering the price.

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Good news: the sturdy and generally well anodized or painted aluminum.

Bad news: the perfectly square design of 192.5mm of the lid is ever so slightly too wide. I measured my Streacom F1C Evo’s stock lid to verify. The stock lid’s y-dimension (front to back) is 192.75mm and x-dimension (left to right) is 191.5mm. The point is this: the stock lid is not perfectly square nor is its mount point.

@Goatee, your lid design works awesome in the y direction and is a good depth (.2mm less than the stock lid). But it is ever so slightly too wide (0.9-1.0mm wider), so it cannot fit. Because of this, a part revision will be needed for a metal laser cut lid to fit. This means either making it 191.5mm square to maintain the square shape, or (ideally) only narrowing the width to 191.5mm for a neat and tight fit.

For myself, I will be taking this first trial run part to a local machine shop. Hopefully, they will be able to shave off about 0.5mm on each side to make it fit.

Goatee, if you make a revision, I would be glad to try it out with the proposed 1.0mm narrowing. Just so you know how I submitted my file, I made a 2D DXF export, generated from a orthographic top view of the lid, using the Sketch Up file you had provided.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Good news: the sturdy and generally well anodized or painted aluminum.

Bad news: the perfectly square design of 192.5mm of the lid is ever so slightly too wide. I measured my Streacom F1C Evo’s stock lid to verify. The stock lid’s y-dimension (front to back) is 192.75mm and x-dimension (left to right) is 191.5mm. The point is this: the stock lid is not perfectly square nor is its mount point.

@Goatee, your lid design works awesome in the y direction and is a good depth (.2mm less than the stock lid). But it is ever so slightly too wide (0.9-1.0mm wider), so it cannot fit. Because of this, a part revision will be needed for a metal laser cut lid to fit. This means either making it 191.5mm square to maintain the square shape, or (ideally) only narrowing the width to 191.5mm for a neat and tight fit.

For myself, I will be taking this first trial run part to a local machine shop. Hopefully, they will be able to shave off about 0.5mm on each side to make it fit.

Goatee, if you make a revision, I would be glad to try it out with the proposed 1.0mm narrowing. Just so you know how I submitted my file, I made a 2D DXF export, generated from a orthographic top view of the lid, using the Sketch Up file you had provided.

I will knock you up a slightly revised model later today.

It was originally designed for 3D printing so slight tolerance changes could be done with a bit of sand paper.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I will knock you up a slightly revised model later today.

It was originally designed for 3D printing so slight tolerance changes could be done with a bit of sand paper.

I have taken 0.5mm slices out as requested to give the dimensions of 191.5 in one side, 192.5 in the other.

I have re-uploaded to thingiverse "Top_panel_not_square.skp" - https://www.thingiverse.com/download:8614261

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Awesome and thank you! I tried getting my hands dirty (it has been a year since I did any CAD) and giving it a shot. Taking a second look, I had realized in my late night efforts there were some glaring errors in my attempt (the corner curvature among other things). It was already well past midnight so I deleted the flawed files to avoid sharing broken parts and abruptly hit the sack. Thank you for replying so quickly and creating this alternative version. I just submitted the 2D DXF export to FacFox. I will hopefully have the new and improved version in hand in two weeks from now.

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
First of all, before I write more, a great many thanks to @Goatee! Your help and willingness to get this fine tuned paid off big time. Also a small special thanks to @Thehack for providing the pictured 140mm to 120mm fan adapter which I highly recommend for those who might need it.

Now then, the moment we have been waiting for: I just received the metal lid, and FacFox really outdid themselves compared to the first go at it when the dimensions were off. I must say, this paint job is master class-level pristine and crisp and they even went a step beyond. The screw holes edges are ever so slightly beveled for a sleek look. This looks first party level quality. If you want to make your own metal lid, this updated design from @Goatee...

...absolutely works. Now, off to install my Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G, which (after weeks in customs!) also just so happened to have finally arrived today. Don’t mind me while I merrily skip away and switch out my 3200G. Here are the photos of this triumph.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
If anyone is interested in doing a group buy, I can investigate pricing. Of course, being this is Goatee’s original creation, out of respect, it is ultimately in his hands how group buys should be done. I will send a quote along for 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 and see what numbers they give and post them here. Current pricing for 1 unit shipped to the United States via FedEx Express Priority was this:

Last edited:

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
If anyone is interested in doing a group buy, I can investigate pricing. Of course, being this is Goatee’s original creation, out of respect, it is ultimately in his hands how group buys should be done. I will send a quote along for 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 and see what numbers they give and post them here. Current pricing for 1 unit shipped to the United States via FedEx Express Priority was this:

Its provided completely royalty free, do as you wish with it. ?

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Its provided completely royalty free, do as you wish with it. ?
Thanks! I just got the quote back from my agent Ella at Facfox. Depending on how many builders are interested, economies of scale can really start kicking in:

5:$98

10:$170

25:$400

50:$750

100:$1400

At 10, it already drops from $40 per piece to $17. Interested buyers should take note.

Last edited: