Custom single slot cooler on 1050Ti?

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
I was super hyped about the news of Elsa's single slot 1050Ti. Until I heard it was a Japan only thing. And cost $220 + import fees + shipping from Japan.

So, looking around, I began to wonder how feasible was it to make my own single slot cooler and turn a stock 1050Ti (with a single height shield), remove the reference cooler and replace it with.. something.

Apparently, this has been done on the ubiquitous 750Ti [Tom's Hardware Article] - so, with just a slightly larger TDP it should be feasible. Looking at some reviews, the hole spacing is 43mm by 43mm when measured from corner bolt to corner bolt.

I've been looking at similar solutions to those used in the 750Ti conversion (namely this HSF assembly, rated for about 60W+) but I have also considered getting a 15mm tall heatsink and rolling my own shroud and fan assembly out of aluminum plus a rando fan. I know we've had a discussion on 3D printing a shroud but that was ruled out due to price (someone quoted about $40-50 to have one printed). Any thoughts?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
If you're willing to void the warranty... go for it. For science!

I'd rather take an existing single slot solution than making your own though. Perhaps pick up a second hand quadro and transfer the cooler? Not too sure about the hole pattern though.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Haven't seen any coolers with 43mm x 43mm patterns besides the one I linked (not with a height under 15mm, anyway).

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Japan always gets the cooler stuff XD The US missed out on low profile 950s but the 1050Ti was worth the wait.

I'm sure your custom cooler experiment will work. There's a Hackintosh build with a 750Ti in a Streacom case with a single slot cooler transplanted from a GT 730.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm working on this already! Kind of. For the 750ti LP from MSI. It's got the same shroud as the 1050ti they released, so I was going to hack together a 3D printed shroud plus hand assembled copper heatsink with a radial fan I'm STILL waiting on. Any day now.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
I'm working on this already! Kind of. For the 750ti LP from MSI. It's got the same shroud as the 1050ti they released, so I was going to hack together a 3D printed shroud plus hand assembled copper heatsink with a radial fan I'm STILL waiting on. Any day now.

Nice! Please post your results, sounds like a cool project.

I forgot, Tom's Hardware did their own tests on a custom-modded 750 Ti already. Did you get the idea from them? (they used a V3900 cooler, so pretty close) I don't have any of the LP cards so you need to compare if the hole spacing is the same or almost the same for the card you're gonna use. That will make using the custom cooler much easier.

lol I linked that article in the OP :D. Also my card is dual slot so I'm unsure if it will actually fit - it just has an oversized heatpipe currently and this would make it a little more manageable. I just want to experiment on a card I am not quite sure on first. I've also been eyeing @Kmpkt 's for sale thread sale thread as he has a bunch of gpus fir sale (including a low profile card) for sale. I mostly want to try the Chinese cooler I linked as it actually has a copper heataink, V3800 is more of a backup plan.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Those fans came in! Hopefully I'll have the time soon to get cracking on the rest of it.

Reactions: Ceros_X