CPU Running Hot, Need Help Improving It

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Do you have your LP53 in the same position as mine?

Can you show examples of that? Not sure how the duct would work, also the fans.

This picture was not taken in the A4, but you can see that I removed all the mobo heatsinks. You can also see the LP53 orientation.

Reactions: Garrzilla

Garrzilla

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017

This picture was not taken in the A4, but you can see that I removed all the mobo heatsinks. You can also see the LP53 orientation.

Thanks for this image. I will try other methods to get temp down, my last resort will be to remove heatsinks.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Ok, I updated to 1406, I think I was on 1002. Still no option for SVID for AVX...

Next tab along. Should be under AI Tweaker. Unless it doesn't come up for non-K CPUs. Look at the second picture in my last post. Options are where the mouse cursor is...

Garrzilla

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
Next tab along. Should be under AI Tweaker. Unless it doesn't come up for non-K CPUs. Look at the second picture in my last post. Options are where the mouse cursor is...
I was just showing my BIOS version. I checked AI Tweeker, must be for overclocked chips only.

Spurenlaser

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2018
You should take another cooler for your cpu, its to close to the the cover, it couldnt get enough cool air from outside. or lets make some
more holes in front of the intake like the metalcover. and yes cause you have that less space their is a strong heat pressure inside.
check out how it works without cover and see whats possible when circulation is better. i have made a threat for a similar problem.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-100-fan-ideas-closed-case-and-c7cu-std.9471/
and i have seen in another test that the noctuas with a higher fan(25mm) performs in a closed case worse than the 14mm org. Fan
thats why im thinking its better to have smaler cooler. and your case you have a similar config with this high cooler.

Spurenlaser

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2018
oh sorry, i see the lp53 is that small to, So the others are right too when they say rotate the cooler if its possible. In your picture
that ways to the side are most closed and under the lp53 isnt that much space, so if you have less problems with open case my
link could help nevertheless.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
What I pray in many threads currently is how to deal with Intels TDP because many customers are not happy with their CPU temps.
I recommend to setup "Max Long Power Duration" = 95W or lower in UEFI/Bios. This will let your CPU run in Intel specs and it will be so much cooler. I tested it with an 8700k and an L9i. Here are some results (Prime95 8k):

Auto (125W) = 100+°C /6x 4,3Ghz
95W = 91°C /6x 3,9-4,0Ghz
80W = 80°C /6x 3,7-3,8Ghz
65W = 72°C /6x 3,5-3,6Ghz

100W + undervolt = 87°C / 6x 4,1 -4,2Ghz.

MBLucid

Efficiency Noob
Dec 15, 2018
What I pray in many threads currently is how to deal with Intels TDP because many customers are not happy with their CPU temps.
I recommend to setup "Max Long Power Duration" = 95W or lower in UEFI/Bios. This will let your CPU run in Intel specs and it will be so much cooler. I tested it with an 8700k and an L9i. Here are some results (Prime95 8k):

Auto (125W) = 100+°C /6x 4,3Ghz
95W = 91°C /6x 3,9-4,0Ghz
80W = 80°C /6x 3,7-3,8Ghz
65W = 72°C /6x 3,5-3,6Ghz

100W + undervolt = 87°C / 6x 4,1 -4,2Ghz.

On Noctua's L9i page, it says that the 9700k is acceptable (I assume because of the move to solder), if you set a max power limit of 130W. I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a noob, but does this seem reasonable, given your experience? Or am I reaching for high numbers that won't translate to perceivable gains?

I'm currently debating between a 9400 (which I suspect will be released soon), and a 9700K. I've ordered a v3, and am building for some fairly intense UE4 development. I don't know if it's better to settle for the 9400 to avoid high temps, or push with the 9700k.

I already have the Asrock 390i phantom board.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
On Noctua's L9i page, it says that the 9700k is acceptable (I assume because of the move to solder), if you set a max power limit of 130W. I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a noob, but does this seem reasonable, given your experience? Or am I reaching for high numbers that won't translate to perceivable gains?

I'm currently debating between a 9400 (which I suspect will be released soon), and a 9700K. I've ordered a v3, and am building for some fairly intense UE4 development. I don't know if it's better to settle for the 9400 to avoid high temps, or push with the 9700k.

I already have the Asrock 390i phantom board.
If you get the 9700K, you can set the power limit in the Asrock UEFI or inside windows with Intel XTU software. You just have to make sure the software is running at all times, but to me the software seems easier than UEFI.
Note that the Asrock board sets the chip to unlimited power limit by default.

Reactions: brt02