CPU Running Hot, Need Help Improving It

Garrzilla

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
Finally got around to building my new PC built and the CPU is running pretty hot. The specs are: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Garrzilla/saved/VYkgLk

I am using an LP53 heatsink with the A9x14 fan attached. I tried re-seating the cooler, putting new thermal paste, offset the voltage by -0.100V, disabled multicore enhancement, fan curve set in Asus AI Suite, tested intel stock cooler, and still running hot. Here are some images (Click into the album to read descriptions):

Temps -

With LP53 + A9x14:

Idle temps:
46C (Nothing running)
61C (Chrome,Slack,Discord)
83C (CS:GO)
95C (World of Warcraft)

With stock Intel cooler:

Idle temps:
~48-52C (Nothing running) https://gyazo.com/f443dcc6951a45cb9fe6cf8902343442
60C (Chrome, Slack, Discord)
63-70C (+ Photoshop, Firefox, Spotify) https://gyazo.com/59bc2a19c0eb590860ada3f6d6b16d34

Benchmarking -

With LP53 + A9x14:

Cinebench score: 1236
CPU runs at 4.3Ghz @ 89C for half of the test, then gets thermal throttled and sits around 3.6GHz @ 75C.

Firestrike Ultra: 7125
CPU max was 100C, GPU max was 83C.

With stock Intel cooler:

Cinebench score: 1180

Firestrike Ultra: 7157
CPU max was 95C, GPU max was 81C.

------------------------

So I'm pretty sure my Trident memory isn't helping much, as the air can't escape. Do you think it will improve the temps by much if I move to a lower profile kit? I was thinking about changing anyway as I'm not a fan of the look.

Don't really want to go with the AIO cooler as it is a very tight fit, and don't want to spend much more on this. Hoping I can get the temps lower with an air cooler.

The LP53 can only fit with the fins going from memory side to I/O side, as the head pipes protrude too much. I've seen people use the NH-L9i with the fins vertical. I know the LP53 is better overall but would having the fins vertical allow more air to be pushed through?

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The LP53 can only fit with the fins going from memory side to I/O side, as the head pipes protrude too much. I've seen people use the NH-L9i with the fins vertical. I know the LP53 is better overall but would having the fins vertical allow more air to be pushed through?

I was going to suggest that. I'm no expert, but from the look of it, the hot air is probably stuck between your RAM, the mosfet heatsink and your LP53 fins. Heated air has almost nowhere to escape.

Reactions: Garrzilla

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Perhaps you can confirm this is an airflow problem by taking off the side windows and use a large desk fan (or alike) to blow air directly onto the case to see if you have drastic improvement.
If it is airflow problem, it might be a combination of:-
1. not sufficient air for the CPU fan A9x14. Those opening area on that side window looks inadequate to provide good airflow to me.
2. hot exhaust air cannot escape fast enough after going thru fins of LP53
3. hot air, in general, inside the case is being recirculated

There are many Dan case A4 owners here who have actual experience of solving this problem. I have none and so I can only offer general advice.

Reactions: Garrzilla

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The 8700 card is very hard to cool inside the A4 and with window kit is even harder.
On modern boards Intels default configuration of your CPU will not work. (1x4,6Ghz or 6x3,2Ghz = 65W)
Your board will do the following (1x4,6Ghz or 6x4,3Ghz = 120-140W) Modern boards don't limit the CPU in power draw, so the CPU will source as much as possible.

With the following UEFI value you can limit the CPU: "Long Duration Package Power Limit"
Try the following values: 95W, 80W or 65W.

I think with 80W you CPU will run with (1x4,6Ghz or 6x4Ghz) and will be under 85°C under load.

With best regards
Daniel

Garrzilla

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
The 8700 card is very hard to cool inside the A4 and with window kit is even harder.
On modern boards Intels default configuration of your CPU will not work. (1x4,6Ghz or 6x3,2Ghz = 65W)
Your board will do the following (1x4,6Ghz or 6x4,3Ghz = 120-140W) Modern boards don't limit the CPU in power draw, so the CPU will source as much as possible.

With the following UEFI value you can limit the CPU: "Long Duration Package Power Limit"
Try the following values: 95W, 80W or 65W.

I think with 80W you CPU will run with (1x4,6Ghz or 6x4Ghz) and will be under 85°C under load.

With best regards
Daniel

Thank you for the reply. Is this correct? Just put '80'. Also, should Turbo mode be enabled?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Remove the VRM heatsinks and you'll get much better airflow. If the VRM runs too hot after that, just put some real heatsinks on them. Something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FQ22LK/?tag=theminutiae-20

But that window kit isn't doing you many favors... Is there a way to distance the window from the case with standoffs?

+1 Removing the VRM heatsinks will allow you to rotate the heatsink so the fins are vertical. That will help reduce temps.

Try changing the following too

All in AI Tweaker

ASUS Multicore Enhancement = Disabled
SVID Behavior = Best case scenario
AVX Instruction core Ratio negative offset = 3

You can also try this - check for stability though....

Under DIGI+ VRM

CPU Load-line calibration = level 1

Reactions: Elerek

Garrzilla

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
+1 Removing the VRM heatsinks will allow you to rotate the heatsink so the fins are vertical. That will help reduce temps.

Try changing the following too

All in AI Tweaker

ASUS Multicore Enhancement = Disabled
SVID Behavior = Best case scenario
AVX Instruction core Ratio negative offset = 3

You can also try this - check for stability though....

Under DIGI+ VRM

CPU Load-line calibration = level 1

Ok, I will try those settings. For the VRM heatsink, do you mean this thing?

That is what is in the way if I try to have the fins vertical.

Garrzilla

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
Yep, that one is in the way. You can also remove the top one as it also impedes air flow

How do I monitor those temps because removing the heatsinks might make them overheat. Can I do it in CPUID HWMonitor?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I have the same set up, with Vengeance LPX ram instead. The LP53 only really fits one way, and it is ideal to remove both ornamental heatsinks, so that the LP53 sits properly. Ultimately, you need to be able to get the cpu heatsink to not recycle hot air. You can either do this by using a duct over the heatsink, or by rigging up a case fan to exhaust out the hot air. I use two 40mm fans to expel hot air. They're both wedged between the pcie extender and the top panel.

Reactions: brt02 and Garrzilla

Garrzilla

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
I have the same set up, with Vengeance LPX ram instead. The LP53 only really fits one way, and it is ideal to remove both ornamental heatsinks, so that the LP53 sits properly. Ultimately, you need to be able to get the cpu heatsink to not recycle hot air. You can either do this by using a duct over the heatsink, or by rigging up a case fan to exhaust out the hot air. I use two 40mm fans to expel hot air. They're both wedged between the pcie extender and the top panel.

Do you have your LP53 in the same position as mine?

Can you show examples of that? Not sure how the duct would work, also the fans.

Garrzilla

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
What bios version are you running?

As an alternative to SVID you can try setting IA AC and IA DC = 0.01 under AI Tweaker\CPU Power Management.

I have had my heatsink off since February. Running an i7-8700K at stock speeds. No issues so far. Do it at your own risk.

Last edited: