New DanCase a4 build - thoughts/help

c1v

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 4, 2021
Hello all, not new to the SFF world, but this small I am. I fell in love with small cases years ago and finally decided to pull the trigger on the dancase. I love the way it looks, the size, and layout. I put everything together last night and noticed some temp issues. I don't play them very often but within a game of warzone / gta5 my cpu was hitting 95-98c. Playing WoW or League I hover around 45-70c. I have already ordered some additional parts to try to help but wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas.

Parts:
Case: DanCase a4 sfx v4.1
Mobo: Gigabyte Z590I AORUS
Ram: Corsair 32gb 3200mhz
CPU: i7-11700k (Yes I know the cooler is only designed for 65w tdp, but according to the site it does work with this cpu and should hold good temps as long as I don't overclock. Also I was able to pick this thing up for such a cheap price I couldn't pass it up. $100)
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
Powersupply: Corsair SF600
Graphics - Evga 3060ti XC

I did change the fan curve on the cpu cooler, even setting it to run 100% all the time didn't help much.

So I went ahead and ordered 2 noctua slim fans (NF-A9x14's) that should be in tomorrow to put in the bottom of the case, from what I read there were mixed reviews on intake / exhaust but I am going to try exhaust first. I also ordered the custom made blower for the cpu cooler from ETSY, the https://www.etsy.com/listing/882469688/dan-case-a4-sfx-v4-3d-printed-fan-duct.

I really like the cooler and I am hoping with the additional fans / fan duct that I can bring temps down. I know that with newer processors they will just thermal throttle to keep from overheating, but ideally I would like to be able to hover around 75-80c max when playing demanding games without undervolting(never done this) the cpu.

I guess worse case I can replace it with the i7-11400 but it would suck to spend more money on a processor that is a lot less powerful.

Thanks for any input!

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
There are a couple of things that you can do.
  • Take apart the whole build. Unscrew and get the riser out. Bend the bottom part a LOT more suddenly, screw it back and route it between the plastic sheet and the middle metal plate (on the GPU side). This way it will not contact the back of the mobo and most importantly allows more space for the fan below.
  • Install a slim fan under the mobo on exhaust with two layers of rubber corner pads underneath. This elevates it a bit and reduce it's noise. Be mindful of it's port orientation.
  • Install the second fan under the psu. I would suggest buying a 25mm regular A9 fan instead of the 14mm slim one here. Again, be mindful where it's connection is facing which you might need a fan splitter for to connect the two case fans with one port.
  • Do set a manual fan curve on the cpu cooler properly within the BIOS and also a perhaps more forgiving one for the case fans.
  • Your current cable management could use some improvement. Here's a guide for it and some of the results.
  • Reasonably undervolt your cpu and gpu. Check some guides for it online.
  • Set the power settings of your cpu in windows: Settings > System > Power and Sleep > additional power settings > Balanced > change > change advanced > processor power (minimum to 5%, maximum to 99%). Also PCI Express > Link state > OFF
With all that said, you might also consider getting an AXP90 Full Copper 47mm for Intel boards for this processor. This is a 125w cpu, it will be very challenging to cool it with an L9i.

Reactions: c1v

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@c1v Forgett about case fan and all the other stuff just do the following two things:

1) Your CPU can source up to 200W without changes this is too much. Lower the TDP of the CPU in UEFI (Manual Page 28 of your board: Turbo Power Limits = 65W) or in the Intel XTU Software. It will nearly not change gaming Performance. Maybe 2-5%. (20°C drop)

2) Get the new Noctua L9i FAN Duct
(5-7°C drop)

With all of these changes temperatures shouldn't exceed 75-80°C in GTA or Warzone

PS: With the tool CoreTemp you can monitor your Powerdraw of the CPU

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

c1v

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 4, 2021
OOOoo I am going to try this right now. Thank you I will let you know how it goes.

c1v

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 4, 2021
So I changed the TDP to 65W and I played a game of warzone, before the highest it spiked was 99C, during the entire game I believe the highest it got was 82C. The fan duct, and the extra case fans will be a few days until they comes in, I am excited to see the difference.

Reactions: dondan and rfarmer

c1v

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 4, 2021
Thank you all for your input, today the duct and the two fans came in, after installing them and doing some cable management I am now sitting between 62-65C on demanding games. It is insane how much cold air this thing is pumping out now, it travels along my desk and I can feel it on my hands / wrists. I think the only upgrade I have left is buying some SFF wifi antennas, and possible some feet that bring the case just slightly (I dont want to be able to see the feet really) higher off my desk. Any suggestions on these?

Also one more question, since I am limiting the TDP of the processor to 65W, should I just swap out for a i5-11400? Or should I just keep the i7-11700k in and keep it locked down and possibly use it later in another build?

Thank you again for all of your help, I still can't believe how much of a difference these 4 changes have made.

Reactions: rfarmer

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
It's nice to see these results. For the elevated feet, there can be a few options. I use these 3D-printed 8mm feet extensions for my case, but here's another variant too. I bought a few longer M3 screws from a modeling shop as you need some that can reach all the way through these things into the original little bumps.

For your second question, I'm sure there are others who could provide a better answer as I'm not familiar with Intel. Generally I like the idea to use components the way they're intented - so with a small case and a small cooler, a 11400 would be the one out of the two that I would've gone for initially. But since you already have the 11700k, you made it work, it has more cores and you secured it for just 100$, you might as well stick with it I guess.

As for the case fans, I think they mainly help with your gpu. But a cooler gpu can result in a cooler cpu too if the heated air below it is expelled by the case fans. Every improvement counts - they might not be all that much on their own, but when combined with better cable management, maybe higher case feet, etc., these little optimisations can make a difference and ultimately make you appreciate your build even more.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The 11700k has more cores than the 11400 so i would stick to it. The best buy option would be the 11700 none K because it is better priced.

If you now get tepms in the 65°C range you can increase the TDP. Maybe try 85 or 95W to get more performance. As long your temps are below 85-90°C it is fine.

Also you can play with undervolting. Undervolting + TDP limiting is interesting, because if you lower the voltage it will lower the power draw. In this combination it will result in higher clocks. So undervolting + TDP limiting is overclocking while beeing in a power limit. ;)

Example (i do not have real values for the clock):

The base voltage (vcore or vid) of a 11700k is 1.28 to 1.32v

11700k @ 1.28V with max TDP of 65W = 100% load max clock on all cores = 4,5 Ghz

if you now lower the core -0,08V

11700k @ 1.20V with max TDP of 65W = 100% load max clock on all cores = 4,8 Ghz

Last edited: