Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
The cable kits have been available from Corsair for the SF series for a while now.

Wow I totally missed out on these for some reason. Just bought a kit off Amazon. Not super happy with the price, but since I already have an SF600 I don't think the platinum rating is really a reason to upgrade.

Saudsvartur

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
Hah, of course it is. One week after I bought the gold 450 for a 24/7 server. I guess I'll have to see if the power savings would be worth getting a platinum version down the road.

For me, I’m more interested in the bundled cables instead of having to buy them separately. I wonder what was changed to achieve that platinum rating.

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
If its the same it's even louder than my Silverstone under load which I don't find that bearable as it is...actually thinking about trying to change it to a bequiet fan.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The SFFN team will be visiting Corsair later today, but I swung by their suite yesterday and can confirm the following:
  • The fan is the same, they have only modified the profile of the curve (so a wider fanless range and less aggressive ramp-up from there)
  • The unit is functionally identical, save for nicer sleeved cables and a 10-year warranty (alongside the Platinum rating)
  • The inside of the unit looks like this:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
@Corsair Johan , @PlayfulPhoenix

--and everyone of course!

Honestly a great revision by Corsair. Fan curve tweak, cables that are more user friendly and the bracket. All the big concerns addressed on the 2nd pass. Toss in that Platinum rating and a 10 year warranty? WOW.

I have the SF450 have have used it in all sorts of configs and test builds. Currently its in The Cerberus X pushing my x58 Sabertooth system and it is terrific.

I have had only 2 warranty claims with Corsair over the years and I have been buying their stuff since my XMS DDR 1GB sticks on Newegg a long time ago. We think ram prices are terrible now?! I paid SOOO much for those. LOL. Anyway the RMAs were painless and they took care of me both times and the customer service was excellent. This is why I have Corsair stuff all over my desk and suggest them to others when asked for build advice. Good stuff. Great service in my experience.

Thanks for the ongoing coverage guys!

Reactions: Phuncz

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
The SFFN team will be visiting Corsair later today, but I swung by their suite yesterday and can confirm the following:
  • The fan is the same, they have only modified the profile of the curve (so a wider fanless range and less aggressive ramp-up from there)
  • The unit is functionally identical, save for nicer sleeved cables and a 10-year warranty (alongside the Platinum rating)
Thanks for the update! Does this mean what I understand ? Both the "old" model (gold rated) and this one are identical (except for the fan curve and the sleeving) ?

I know that the ggold rated was already very near platinum efficiency performance, but any idea how they achieved it without any changes ?

I guess I'll wait for the proper SFF review.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks for the update! Does this mean what I understand ? Both the "old" model (gold rated) and this one are identical (except for the fan curve and the sleeving) ?
I know that the ggold rated was already very near platinum efficiency performance, but any idea how they achieved it without any changes ?
I guess I'll wait for the proper SFF review.

Jonnyguru's review shows the SF600 Gold actually surpasses Gold and reaches Platinum (though barely).
So, maybe, Corsair just ditches the conservative label and and simply labels it as Platinum? Of course, they bundle the new set of cables and the bracket and the new fan curve to make the difference big enough.

I wonder, if Corsair would sell the SF600 in both Gold and Platinum versions in the future? Or, let the Gold version stock to run and fade out?

DanT

Average Stuffer
Feb 6, 2018
Did Corsair add 4 pins fan header to the new SF600? I planning to swap with a Noctua fan if it releases.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Did Corsair add 4 pins fan header to the new SF600? I planning to swap with a Noctua fan if it releases.
From the above pic showing the interior, it does have a 4-pin fan header. But a new fan is unlikely to have the same fan characteristic (eg top speed, starting voltage...etc) as the stock one and one needs to consider how this impact the performance, as I suppose a new fan will still be controlled by the pre-defined fan software.

Reactions: DanT

Baal

Efficiency Noob
Jun 8, 2018
From the above pic showing the interior, it does have a 4-pin fan header. But a new fan is unlikely to have the same fan characteristic (eg top speed, starting voltage...etc) as the stock one and one needs to consider how this impact the performance, as I suppose a new fan will still be controlled by the pre-defined fan software.

I suppose 3 things could happen when changing the fan in the new SF600 with an Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM:
a) Because of the PWM controlling instead of DC the Noctua Fans are working much better and starting at lower RPM and you'll have no problems.
b) Everything will be the same, the noctuas won't start as fast and will keep trying to start (same situation as now with the Gold SF units)
c) Because of RPM measurements the units shuts off when the Noctua won't start because it needs more voltage than the stock.

I really hope its a). This way enthusiasts could mod their SF600 without the additional problems that come when doing the fan Mod!

The new SF600 Platinum will definitely be mine but im currently not planning to change the fan because of the fan start problem that the gold units have after changing the fan. If other users can confirm that a) is the case I will buy the NH-L9i just to get the better 2500RPM A9x14 and do the mod on mine.

Reactions: tinyitx

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I went ahead and pre-ordered it. I'm planning to do again the same mod as in my gold version i currently use with the Noctua fan from NH-L9i and use the gold version in a build i plan for my brother.
To be honest since the fan isn't upgraded in any way (which is very unfortunate) I can't see a reason anyone with the Gold version upgrading to the platinum.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I went ahead and pre-ordered it. I'm planning to do again the same mod as in my gold version i currently use with the Noctua fan from NH-L9i and use the gold version in a build i plan for my brother.
To be honest since the fan isn't upgraded in any way (which is very unfortunate) I can't see a reason anyone with the Gold version upgrading to the platinum.
When you get yours, would you mind first using the stock fan for some time before changing the fan? I mean, do not mod it right away.
It would be nice to learn by first hand experience of how the stock fan operates (eg how silent, at what wattage would it begin to spin up...etc).
Looking at the interior pic of the Gold version (in Jonnyguru's review), it has a 2-pin fan header (vs a 4-pin header in the Platinum version). And it is a 2-wire fan in the Gold vs a 3-wire fan in the Platinum. So, the fan, technically speaking, is not exactly unchanged.

Well, I look forward to your report when your unit arrives.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
When you get yours, would you mind first using the stock fan for some time before changing the fan? I mean, do not mod it right away.
It would be nice to learn by first hand experience of how the stock fan operates (eg how silent, at what wattage would it begin to spin up...etc).
Looking at the interior pic of the Gold version (in Jonnyguru's review), it has a 2-pin fan header (vs a 4-pin header in the Platinum version). And it is a 2-wire fan in the Gold vs a 3-wire fan in the Platinum. So, the fan, technically speaking, is not exactly unchanged.

Well, I look forward to your report when your unit arrives.

Not to mention voiding a 10 year warranty with the fan mod, that thing would really have to scream for me to do that.