Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
Someone on reddit posted this link -- https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=power-supplies

They did a FULL graphic of load vs fan noise. https://i.imgur.com/M4KQgK9.png

Yeah, I saw that, my problem is that I'm afraid that they just got one of the 'good' units for some reason. The dispersion in opinions about the gold SF600 noise with a bunch of people saying that their units are dead quiet and then the other bunch of people getting really loud units kind of makes you think that maybe there is some problem in the production process and some units just go out defective in a way.

Doesn't surprise me that the reviewers got the units that don't show any problems, but some time has to pass to find out whether any users experience similar issues to the Gold units. Well, I'll be buying the Platinum anyway since I'm going to RMA the gold one for the noise so doesn't matter that much to me, but I would expect Corsair to improve the product.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Yeah, I saw that, my problem is that I'm afraid that they just got one of the 'good' units for some reason. The dispersion in opinions about the gold SF600 noise with a bunch of people saying that their units are dead quiet and then the other bunch of people getting really loud units kind of makes you think that maybe there is some problem in the production process and some units just go out defective in a way.

Doesn't surprise me that the reviewers got the units that don't show any problems, but some time has to pass to find out whether any users experience similar issues to the Gold units. Well, I'll be buying the Platinum anyway since I'm going to RMA the gold one for the noise so doesn't matter that much to me, but I would expect Corsair to improve the product.

Yes, sometimes some reviewers receive cherry-picked units from manufacturers. That is why some other reviewers just go out and buy an unit (PSU, GPU mainly) from retail for their reviews (and I suspect they might be reimbursed by a manufacturer).
And, perhaps a good percentage of people reporting noisy units vs silent units come from their subjectivity as noisy or not can be quite subjective.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
Yes, sometimes some reviewers receive cherry-picked units from manufacturers. That is why some other reviewers just go out and buy an unit (PSU, GPU mainly) from retail for their reviews (and I suspect they might be reimbursed by a manufacturer).
And, perhaps a good percentage of people reporting noisy units vs silent units come from their subjectivity as noisy or not can be quite subjective.

I know it's subjective but I'm pretty sure some of the Gold units were plain defective, my unit keeps spinning even 2-3 minutes after getting out of load (presumably becuase it's still hot) and it's definitely the loudest component in my case, and I've got a reference Vega in there.

Carc

Cable Smoosher
Oct 15, 2018
It is interesting to read how jonnyGURU rates the cables. He said ''...Looks like Corsair went with the least manageable option there and used individual wire sleeving. This looks great, but can be quite the functionality nightmare. And with SFX form factor cases, you kind of want these to be easy to manage...''
In fact, he took off 1 full point in the scoring. If not, this unit will score a perfect 10 overall score.

The old cables are too stiff and now the new cables are not easy to manage?

He's right, ribbon cables are in fact easier to manage in sff cases than sleeved ones, the fact that old cables were too stiff is just another story.

I disagree. The new cables are 1000000000000000000000x much better and manageable than the ones in Gold version. It was a nightmare—if not impossible—to install on my QB One case. It was too damn stiff and can barely bend to insert the 24 pin to the MoBo. Even if I force it, I feared that it might damage the slot in the MoBo coz it wont stay bent for long. The excess cables are also annoyingly hard to tuck in coz of its stiffness. Maaaaan, I hate the cables in Gold version!

Bottomline, the new sleeved cables are 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better. Easier to bend and retains it. Even if it loses its bent shape, the cables are soft and wont overpower the 24 pin slot in the MoBo.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
I disagree. The new cables are 1000000000000000000000x much better and manageable than the ones in Gold version. It was a nightmare—if not impossible—to install on my QB One case. It was too damn stiff and can barely bend to insert the 24 pin to the MoBo. Even if I force it, I feared that it might damage the slot in the MoBo coz it wont stay bent for long. The excess cables are also annoyingly hard to tuck in coz of its stiffness. Maaaaan, I hate the cables in Gold version!

Bottomline, the new sleeved cables are 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better. Easier to bend and retains it. Even if it loses its bent shape, the cables are soft and wont overpower the 24 pin slot in the MoBo.

Nobody said they're worse? It is merely stated that ribbon cables are in fact better than sleeved cables for sff, nobody said the particular ribbon cables used in the SF600 Gold are good, cause they're stiff as hell and gthey suck, but in general ribbon cables are easier to tuck into small spaces.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
Reviewers could definitely get cherry picked units (generally be surprised if they didn't), but at least they had 4 samples and you can view the noise curves for each. I look at the one I linked as well as the one in Sample #1, and they were definitely different.

The benefit of course is that since it's PWM, it should be trivial to replace the fan if desired and throw in a Noctua 92mm one since you eliminate all of the DC starting voltage issues. You still have to potentially worry about minimum RPM a little bit, but since that would only be an issue right at the start point of the fan, also not a huge issue.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
By the way, it should be quite obvious but the Platinum has the same pinout as the Gold right? Wanna use the sleeved cables from the Gold in the Plat.

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2018
The platinum cables can be bought separately for the gold version, so yes, they're the same.

I'm using the SF600 Platinum since Friday, I can't hear it over my CPU/GPU (MSI 1080 Armor) under load. Definitely not loud.

sforma

Case Bender
New User
Nov 10, 2018
Using my platinum SF600 since last Friday, running vega56 & 2500k doesn’t break a sweat! Nice piece of gear for the time being.

Last edited:

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
It's widely available in Poland now, couple of shops already got the stock at a decent price, managed to buy one cheaper than both amazon and corsair website.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-sf600-platinum-psu,5936.html

Tom's Hardware just posted an incredibly detailed review of the SF600 Platinum and gave it lots of praise. I thought this note was interesting at the end, and explains why the PSU review was so thorough:

"Aris Mpitziopoulos is Tom's Hardware's PSU reviewer. He is also the Chief Testing Engineer of Cybenetics, and developed the Cybenetics certification methodologies apart from his role on Tom's Hardware. Neither Tom's Hardware nor its parent company, Future PLC, are financially involved with Cybenetics. Aris does not perform the actual certifications for Cybenetics."

Early in the review they also note the noise issue some people experienced with the SF600 Gold, and it appears to be some mis-management of the fan curve vs. load on the 3.3 and 5v rails:

"One of the biggest differences between the SF600 Gold and this latest model is that the Platinum version has a much better LAMBDA noise rating. Corsair, with Great Wall’s help, improved the fan controller's response to high loads on the minor rails. That wasn’t the case previously; the older model’s fan went crazy when the 5V and 3.3V rails were hit with those same load scenarios."

Reactions: Skarum

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Does anyone else use a SF600 with a Vega graphics card? I'm getting intermittent crashes while playing Destiny 2 if I have my card set at anything above +0 power limit (such as in turbo mode or overclocked/undervolted).

This same thing was happening with my Silverstone SX-650G and Silverstone tech support confirmed that their PSUs would trip OCP early due to some design with Vega. This has so far been rock solid with the SF600, until this week's update of Destiny. Destiny was also the game that caused the OCP to trip with the Silverstone unit.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I’m running the SF600 gold with a Vega 64 / R5 2600.

No stability issues here. I use a custom wattman profile but have run it pretty hard on various settings.
I can share more later tonight once home to compare if you like.

advblue

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2019
Are the platinum sleeved cables easier to work with than the gold version ones? Are they less robust / easier to bend? I thought about getting gold version but would buy plat if its easier to work with cables. Thank you.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I’m running the SF600 gold with a Vega 64 / R5 2600.

No stability issues here. I use a custom wattman profile but have run it pretty hard on various settings.
I can share more later tonight once home to compare if you like.
Thanks, I'm actually running the Platinum model so I'm not sure if a comparison to the Gold does much. I will say I would normally point the finger at something different in my system had I not already ran into a sensitive OCP on the SIlverstone unit.

Furthermore, I sold the SIlverstone unit because I was happy with the performance of the SF600 platinum. It wasn't until this week's Destiny 2 update that it started crashing... I'd been running for the past several weeks without crashing.

Reactions: TheHig

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
Ribbon cables were a Pain in the Ass to work with. Stiff, stiff, stiff.
Premium sleeved cables are very easy to work with, but in a very small case, I think custom cables Are the best way to tidy up your cable mess...

Reactions: lawney and advblue

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Are the platinum sleeved cables easier to work with than the gold version ones? Are they less robust / easier to bend? I thought about getting gold version but would buy plat if its easier to work with cables. Thank you.

I've tried both. My brother has the gold, I have the plat. The gold ribbon cables as stiffer but they a easier to "mold", and they'll stay in place a bit easier than the sleeved cables.
The sleeved cables are easier to tie down, but they have more flex to them, and will need to be tied down a bit more. Else they'll start to unravel. Also, they still look a mess of grey spaghetti if you don't tie them down. I've ordered some cable combs myself, to tidy it up a bit.

I'd say get the platinum version. The cables are a bit nicer, and allows for a cleaner look, if you take the time to sort it out. Also some people have had noise issues with the gold version, and I've heard of none with platinum.

Last edited: