Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
I reaaaaalllyyyyyyyy need to know whether the fan got improved, my SF600 Gold is not as quiet as I would like and takes a while to slow down after getting out of load.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
its cheaper on corsair site, I paid 140 cad instead of 150 usd on amazon

It WAS cheaper on the Corsair site. Now they bumped it to $149.99. It makes me wonder how long this price hike was in the works. Corsair probably just listed it at the old MSRP for the limited first units so they could say they sold it at the original MSRP for awhile.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
its pwm instead of dc

That has no real impact on the general sound or any changes from the old fan. Many places offer the same fan in both PWM and DC options. All DC does is help avoid any low RPM/voltage issues (which is part of the clicking from the DC fan).

Anandtech's teardown showed them listed as the same fan model in the 450, implying it's the same exact fan just with a different controller. But people seem to be saying it's quieter. So, more reviews or specs from Corsair are needed. They haven't publicly published any of the fan curves from the Platinums yet.

Edit: It also seems that the pre-orders on Amazon are already back to 11-11 now. I don't know if they are just selling out of early stock, or if it's pushed back for everyone.

Edit 2: and now it's back to "Temporarily out of stock". And also stirrings of a SF750 Platinum as well (mentioned in the actual manual going out with units).

Last edited:

Carc

Cable Smoosher
Oct 15, 2018
I ordered mine from corsair, because of the strike for the last two days, it's sitting at Canada post distribution centre. I live in Toronto too and have been waiting

Sigh... same. It's been sitting at Canadapost since last Tuesday. There is a new update now though, so hopefully it will arrive today:\

Carc

Cable Smoosher
Oct 15, 2018
So it is frigging on hold again and it says I have to pay C$33.82 to get it:(:mad:. I still saved C$42 compared to buying Gold + Sleeved though, but it still hurts. Savings drop down to C$20.28 if the current Platinum price(C$184.99 + Tax) will be the local store price:(

Last edited:

ctudo

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 29, 2018
A few things about the SF600 Platinum vs Gold version is the efficiency, Platinum runs less hotter so more efficient than Gold, braided cables are very good and easy to work with, and the fan which doesn't make any difference for me (I bough the Gold version on Sep. 2018 and the fan was already very quiet. DC fan)
Now, the fan on the Platinum is PWM controlled by voltage + temperature + a controller and is powered up only at high wattage, i.e 200W-300W, regardless the temperature, this helps maintain the PSU cooler from the beginning of playing a game lets say and start at lower RPM then ramp up; rather than staying idle while gaming, then ramp up at high speed to cool down, like on the Gold version; this is a good thing.
The problem with the fan controller is that, if the PSU is cold and you draw 300W-400W for even one second, then resume at Idle (50W-60W), the fan will turn on right away and it will shut down in 15 minutes; so the fan will spin up, regardless of the lower temp. and lower wattage draw combination.
Overall, it's a very good PSU, I've switch to Platinum from Gold, because the Gold one was quite hot even in Idle, where the Platinum is less hotter.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
I guess I'm waiting on the SF750 then. The two 8-pin CPU power cables are worth the wait.

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018
So it is frigging on hold again and it says I have to pay C$33.82 to get it:(:mad:. I still saved C$42 compared to buying Gold + Sleeved though, but it still hurts. Savings drop down to C$20.28 if the current Platinum price(C$184.99 + Tax) will be the local store price:(
yeah mine is on wait at custon clearance (since oct 26 )too but nothing about fees to get it...

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2016
if its a PWM fan does that mean we can replace it with something quieter? or is it already a quiet (fdb?) fan?

im on the fence between a fanless silverstone and one of these with a noctua swap (if possible)...

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
if its a PWM fan does that mean we can replace it with something quieter? or is it already a quiet (fdb?) fan?

im on the fence between a fanless silverstone and one of these with a noctua swap (if possible)...

You could already replace the fan on the Gold SF600 without an issue, all you needed was a 10$ adapter. What I'm hoping for is that they improved the fan and the fan control enough so that you don't need to replace the fan.

I'm waiting for some reviews from the users about the fan noise under heavy load in sff cases with limited airflow.

Reactions: XcPNehVYlE4A3C

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
You could already replace the fan on the Gold SF600 without an issue, all you needed was a 10$ adapter. What I'm hoping for is that they improved the fan and the fan control enough so that you don't need to replace the fan.

I'm waiting for some reviews from the users about the fan noise under heavy load in sff cases with limited airflow.
JohnnyGuru review has posted.

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018
Use the tracking number on CanadaPost and you will see. I got mine already last Thursday night and paid C$33.82:(
wished corsair would have told us about that... plus because of the f*****n strikes amazon will probably be selling it before I get it....

Reactions: lawney

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
It is interesting to read how jonnyGURU rates the cables. He said ''...Looks like Corsair went with the least manageable option there and used individual wire sleeving. This looks great, but can be quite the functionality nightmare. And with SFX form factor cases, you kind of want these to be easy to manage...''
In fact, he took off 1 full point in the scoring. If not, this unit will score a perfect 10 overall score.

The old cables are too stiff and now the new cables are not easy to manage?

Reactions: Soul_Est and lawney

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
It is interesting to read how jonnyGURU rates the cables. He said ''...Looks like Corsair went with the least manageable option there and used individual wire sleeving. This looks great, but can be quite the functionality nightmare. And with SFX form factor cases, you kind of want these to be easy to manage...''
In fact, he took off 1 full point in the scoring. If not, this unit will score a perfect 10 overall score.

The old cables are too stiff and now the new cables are not easy to manage?

He's right, ribbon cables are in fact easier to manage in sff cases than sleeved ones, the fact that old cables were too stiff is just another story.