Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
All these delays aren't encouraging, especially with lack of comment from Corsair as to what's going on.

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
With all the issue with pre orders and cancellation of pre-order multiple times, I'd rather be safe and not be a ginuea pig on this first round of Platinum sfx PSU.
Just saying....

Yeah, I cancelled my pre-order, as my case is going to take a few months to arrive anyway. Better to wait for reviews I guess.

Maybe I'll end up going with one of EVGA's upcoming SFX PSUs or even just a SF600 Gold and spend a bit extra on custom cables.

Reactions: Alexander

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah, I cancelled my pre-order, as my case is going to take a few months to arrive anyway. Better to wait for reviews I guess.

Maybe I'll end up going with one of EVGA's upcoming SFX PSUs or even just a SF600 Gold and spend a bit extra on custom cables.

Do we know ANYTHING about the EVGA SFX line-up yet? I wonder why I'm even considering the Platinum sometimes, as the biggest gripe against the Gold is the noise, and that's one thing I simply cannot abide... and I've got no real indication the Platinum is going to significantly improve upon this. On top of all the delays, I think my pre-order is up for the chop soon.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Do we know ANYTHING about the EVGA SFX line-up yet? I wonder why I'm even considering the Platinum sometimes, as the biggest gripe against the Gold is the noise, and that's one thing I simply cannot abide... and I've got no real indication the Platinum is going to significantly improve upon this. On top of all the delays, I think my pre-order is up for the chop soon.

In the official EVGA forum, a moderator mentioned 'September' back in July. But yesterday he said there is a 'short delay' and is now 'October'.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-SuperNova-GM-Series-450550650W-SFX-release-in-July-2018-m2835709.aspx

Reactions: Phuncz

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
^Same OEM as Corsair perhaps? Delays all around.

I have both the sf 450 and 600.

My 600w is actually a refurb and runs nice and quiet. I had tried a brand new 600w about 8 months or so ago and returned it as it was quite loud.

Could there be a revision at play here I wonder? Having experienced a “loud one “ myself I am inclined to believe the many who have reported this.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
^Same OEM as Corsair perhaps? Delays all around.

I have both the sf 450 and 600.

My 600w is actually a refurb and runs nice and quiet. I had tried a brand new 600w about 8 months or so ago and returned it as it was quite loud.

Could there be a revision at play here I wonder? Having experienced a “loud one “ myself I am inclined to believe the many who have reported this.

Yes, it is quite peculiar, and I have wondered, in spite of the variation of an individual's sensitivity to sound, how some people have resorted to voiding their warranty by replacing the fan, yet other people say they love how quiet it is! This really doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. :confused:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
As far as the loud sf600 goes, can't you just swap out the fan for a Noctua fan? Or is the fan caused by another component in the PSU?

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
With all the issue with pre orders and cancellation of pre-order multiple times, I'd rather be safe and not be a ginuea pig on this first round of Platinum sfx PSU.
Just saying....

Someone in the know on Reddit said that it was a supply chain issue. Which could mean bad parts, or it could just mean part shortage. I think I'd definitely wait for mass availability before getting one though.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Well yes, but it's not exactly 'simple', and it does void your warranty.

Voiding warranties is part of the fun when tinkering with PCs!

That being said the SF series psu have a 7 year warranty and I’m not willing to wipe that out over fan noise. Would rather try another.

Corsair has excellent warranty support in my personal experience.

Reactions: Killinger

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
It's possible, but most people I know are doing the opposite of waiting when it comes to the tariffs.

After all, if prices will be going up soon, it makes sense to stockpile as much as you can while the getting is good, since doing so puts you at an advantage. If your competitor stockpiles inventory and you don't, they'll be able to undercut you while maintaining (or increasing) their profit margins for as long as that stockpile lasts. The bigger the inventory, the longer you'll be at a disadvantage.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
You said it. In fact I read an article recently indicating that the trade deficit is increasing slightly as those with the means do exactly as you are describing.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
It looks like the one I ordered is scheduled for delivery on Friday. To be honest, I half expected the order to be cancelled, but the package is in transit now, so it looks like I'll get to be a guinea pig.

Assuming it actually arrives, I'd be happy to try to do some followup regarding it, but I need to set expectations by saying that this is my first build, so I don't expect to have any sort of useful insight, nor do I have the tools to put a PSU through its paces, nor do I have the points of comparison for noise levels that a veteran builder would have. If nothing else, however, I'd be happy to grab some dB(A) readings while trying to hit it with different loads, though I suppose I'll need a way to measure how much load I'm putting on it...

Reactions: whatanoob

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
It looks like the one I ordered is scheduled for delivery on Friday. To be honest, I half expected the order to be cancelled, but the package is in transit now, so it looks like I'll get to be a guinea pig.

Assuming it actually arrives, I'd be happy to try to do some followup regarding it, but I need to set expectations by saying that this is my first build, so I don't expect to have any sort of useful insight, nor do I have the tools to put a PSU through its paces, nor do I have the points of comparison for noise levels that a veteran builder would have. If nothing else, however, I'd be happy to grab some dB(A) readings while trying to hit it with different loads, though I suppose I'll need a way to measure how much load I'm putting on it...
Mind me asking where you ordered it from?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
but I need to set expectations by saying that this is my first build, so I don't expect to have any sort of useful insight, nor do I have the tools to put a PSU through its paces, nor do I have the points of comparison for noise levels that a veteran builder would have. If nothing else, however, I'd be happy to grab some dB(A) readings while trying to hit it with different loads, though I suppose I'll need a way to measure how much load I'm putting on it...
You said this is your first build, does it mean you have no experience of SF600 Gold? I think, most people are interested to compare this Platinum version with the Gold. So, if you have used the Gold before, maybe you can feedback on the fan noise, subjectively.

Or, you can compare it with whatever PSU you are using.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
Mind me asking where you ordered it from?
Directly from Corsair’s website. I mentioned a few posts back that it was briefly available for a few hours before it showed up as being unavailable again. I had PCPP set to notify me when the PSU was available at list price, which is how I knew to check when I did.
You said this is your first build, does it mean you have no experience of SF600 Gold? [...] Or, you can compare it with whatever PSU you are using.
I’ll be migrating from a Mac mini, so its PSU wouldn’t really be a good point of noise comparison. ;)

And yeah, sadly no experience with the gold, though by all accounts, the gold sounds like it’s hit or miss, with some units being stellar and some being noisy.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
So, initial impressions after a day or so with the SF600 Platinum:

0) It's powering a 2700X and EVGA 1070 FTW2, both at stock settings for now.

1) I have yet to see the SF600's fan kick in under typical browsing conditions, nor when quickly trying out some older games (e.g. Fallout 3 at Ultra settings). As of yet, I've only seen it turn on when running FurMark or Time Spy, which peaked at about 310W and 275W from the wall, respectively.

2) If those examples are anything to go by, I'm happy to report that I doubt I will ever hear the PSU once I put the sides on the case. In fact, until I put my ear within an inch so that I knew what to listen for, I thought it was entirely silent. Once I could hear what it sounds like (a dull, low frequency hum), I was able to notice the sound from about an arm's length away, but again, I wouldn't have even known it was there had I not specifically listened for it.

3) When starting FurMark, there's a few seconds between when the benchmark starts and when the 1070's fans spin up. During that time, the 1070 can still be heard as it audibly computes those first few frames. It's a quiet sound that I doubt most people would ever notice unless they specifically listened for it. Even with its fan spinning, the SF600 Platinum is quieter than that.

4) Needless to say, the SF600 Platinum is tremendously quieter than the stock Wraith Prism that I'm stuck using with the 2700X until my AIO arrives, hopefully this week or next.

5) I'm not noticing any of the clicking, whirring, or other sorts of sounds I've seen people use to describe their experiences with bad SF600 Gold units, so either I lucked out or the Platinum really is that much better.

6) Oh, and the premium sleeved cable set that it comes with is great, of course.

Anyway, based on my complete and utter inexperience with any of the alternative or competing PSUs, I'm very pleased with it so far! :cool:

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
In Corsairs website i am failing to see any information on cable sizes. Can someone help me in that regard? I want to sub my Silverstone PSU cause i don't like the noise it makes on heavy load (even though better than the Corsair SF Gold).

Edit - unless they are the "old" SF series cables that you'd buy as a kit.