Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum

DMDiamond

What's an ITX?
Aug 10, 2018
Does anyone know when these PSU's will be released? I thought they were supposed to be released sometime in July but that is clearly not the case.

pandather

What's an ITX?
Aug 11, 2018
The rpm is one difference, but the significant one is the lower amps it needs to start spinning, therefore it's even more quiet and doesn't have the annoying clicking sound when the fan tries to spin up and down.

As for voiding the warranty, I have had excellent experience (and by far the best all around compared to other companies) with Corsair in the past and I am sure if I ever need it (which I doubt) it will be fine (just take care to keep that tiny sticker intact when unbolting the power supply's cover and you're fine with no trace of it ever been opened).
Just an FYI the warranty is still intact even if you remove warranty void if removed stickers as they are illegal. As long as the damage to the power supply is not caused by what you do, your fine. Just don't forget to plug the new fan in.

mois1forum

What's an ITX?
Aug 12, 2018
Hi guys,

Silverstonetek comically commented on my post on Jonnyguru forum, that the new Corsair SF600 Platinum will be fanless up to 180 watts.

(http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15955&page=2)

Do you guys agree that 180W is the fan-on threshold?

I like to use this SFX PSU in an Akitio Node Pro Thunderbolt 3 expansion box to drive an AMD Vega 64 GPU mostly in 2D mode, so power consumption should be somewhere in the range 80 to 200 watts. I just like the whole setup to be as silent as possible, preferrably all-off.

@teamet, what does it mean that the fan is "PWM controlled", how is this useful?

@Baal & @MultiDoc , you mention replacing the fan on the new SF600 Platinum could make it even more silent.

Could you please give me the product name and maybe buy URL for the very best one or two fans for this PSU?

Also, it's just open the PSU (when unplugged and uncharged), disconnect and unscrew old fan and mount and connect to its power connector, the new one right, that's it?

Thanks!

(Also posted the SF600 Platinum fanless wattage and fan model Q:s at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=968187 and http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=968186 .)

Last edited:

teamet

Chassis Packer
Mar 17, 2018
PWM is another way of controlling the fan, where the voltage is constant. This means that many of the fan complaints may be removed, like clicking and starting at high rpm.

Essentially it provides better control of the fan

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
PWM is another way of controlling the fan, where the voltage is constant. This means that many of the fan complaints may be removed, like clicking and starting at high rpm.

Essentially it provides better control of the fan

It also, in the vast majority of cases, enables fans to start at a lower RPM.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
I see Scan UK have pushed the ETA date of the SF600 Platinum to 30th September!! This is quite annoying. Anyone know a reason for the delay?

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
I see Scan UK have pushed the ETA date of the SF600 Platinum to 30th September!! This is quite annoying. Anyone know a reason for the delay?
I wish Corsair would say something about it. I don't mind the delay as much as I mind the lack of communication from an official source. That's been messing with my plans.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
I wish Corsair would say something about it. I don't mind the delay as much as I mind the lack of communication from an official source. That's been messing with my plans.

Mine too! I currently have my old ATX PSU sitting outside my ITX case as the SF600 Platinum is the only PSU I want. I tried the Silverstone SX650-G but the 'always on' fan just got on my nerves so I returned it. It's annoying if that 30th September date is accurate as that's another 6 weeks to wait! :(

JPF_3

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2018
Does anyone know anything about this listing?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/253791099848

It's hard to dismiss, as the seller seems to be pretty reputable. Was this PSU available to buy for a short period of time?

I vaguely recall reading a forum post where a UK-based retailer received a small initial shipment, but had to return it at the request of the distributor. Combined with Corsair's deafening silence, I suspect there might have been a production issue. Perhaps this seller didn't get the memo?

Mine too! I currently have my old ATX PSU sitting outside my ITX case as the SF600 Platinum is the only PSU I want. I tried the Silverstone SX650-G but the 'always on' fan just got on my nerves so I returned it. It's annoying if that 30th September date is accurate as that's another 6 weeks to wait! :(

If it's any consolation, I have a non-modular ATX psu sitting outside of my case. It looks like some kind of evil octopus.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
I'm curious if anyone has taken a look at this and if it's considered reliable?

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=28&volts=1

If you filter by Form Factor you can see 5 tests in the database of the SF600 Platinum since April, the most recent being in July. I have no idea how the figures stack up against the OG SF600, but would anyone care to comment...?

You can download the full PDF on the site, but here are the fan noise levels (from the most recent test in July) which were of most interest to me, given all the complaints about the original when it was under load.

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Oct 6, 2017
Hey guys I possibly have a dumb question -

Ive been planning on getting this psu for my sff build. But after preordering the new 2080Ti and checking Nvidia's website they recommend having a 650 watt psu... which is obviously 50 watts more than the SF600 offers. Should I consider going with the Silverstone's SX650 or will I be ok with the SF600?

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018

Ive been planning on getting this psu for my sff build. But after preordering the new 2080Ti and checking Nvidia's website they recommend having a 650 watt psu... which is obviously 50 watts more than the SF600 offers. Should I consider going with the Silverstone's SX650 or will I be ok with the SF600?

you'll be fine, they always over rate in case people buy cheap PSUs.

Alexander

Average Stuffer
Jun 24, 2018

Not a dumb question at all. I'm in the same boat, and am waiting for the benchmarks to come out to get a better idea of power consumption. But as Duality said above, they usually go over. So, fingers crossed!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
IIRC, a few of the AIB 2080Ti cards list 600W as recommended. My bet is, 600W is enough for an out-of-the-box card. But, if you intend to overclock to the very last Hz (with watercooling), then it is likely to be not enough.
BTW, I suspect these 2080/2080Ti are going to be good overclockers when even Nvidia overclocks their FE as a selling point.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I don’t think that even with OC’ing an 8700k and a 2080 Ti to the max would be over 550 Watts.

I personally think they overrate these recommended wattage numbers for the guy who finds a minimum spec,not even bronze rated, rusty multi rail junkyard psu that claims the minimum spec to make sure it will run.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
IIRC, a few of the AIB 2080Ti cards list 600W as recommended. My bet is, 600W is enough for an out-of-the-box card. But, if you intend to overclock to the very last Hz (with watercooling), then it is likely to be not enough.
BTW, I suspect these 2080/2080Ti are going to be good overclockers when even Nvidia overclocks their FE as a selling point.

There is widespread misunderstanding about PSU requirements. A top-rated 600W PSU is going to be MORE than enough even OC'ing. You'd easily get away with less without overclock. The caveat is that QUALITY of the PSU is far more significant... if you have high voltage ripple for example then that's going to be a potentially serious problem on a 600W cheap PSU vs a top end 500W. Manufacturers always recommend higher precisely because of this, as there are obviously many cheap quality PSUs on the market. The ability of a top end lower watt PSU will far exceed that of a low end higher watt. Plus you have to consider the fact that in average day to day tasks and even gaming, you will not be anywhere remotely near drawing max CPU and GPU power at the same time. It is game dependent to some degree, but even in demanding titles you won't come close. Just check on YouTube, there are many tests done with 7700K (and similar) with a 1080Ti, and draw barely exceeds 400W in the most demanding of games.

There are many people running top of the range systems, Intel and Ryzen, with a 1080Ti on 450W PSUs without any problems. You will not be chasing top-10 benchmark scores, but for most people that is not going to be a concern.

Last edited:

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Oct 6, 2017
There are many people running top of the range systems, Intel and Ryzen, with a 1080Ti on 450W PSUs without any problems. You will not be chasing top-10 benchmark scores, but for most people that is not going to be a concern.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone :) I dont plan on overclocking anything at all. This machine im building now is mostly a workstation pc for CGI animation and raytrace rendering using Maya and Arnold - with occasional gaming. Waiting for Intel to announce the Basin Falls refresh for X299 before I go with the current gen.