Production CONSOLE and CONSWOLE: entry level 2-slot and 3-slot console cases! [Available Now!]

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yes, if using either Console or Conswole in vertical I 100% recommend the base plate as the PCIe card brackets stick out that side on both cases.

Sorry but I don't understand / cannot imagine how the PCIe card bracket would stick out without the base plate?

ironwilly

Chassis Packer
Mar 15, 2020
Ok guys, where are the two possibly optimal cpu cooler configurations that I am considering for conswole:

Black ridge + nf a12x25 on top - 6 heat pipes ,407 g, total height with fan 47 + 25 == 72mm

Cryorig C1 + XT140 - 6 heat pipes, 539 g , total height with fan 61 + 13 == 74mm (not sure if we can fit a nf a12x15 since that pushes it to 76mm by specification)

So the black ridge has the advantage of a12x25 which is basically legendary at this point, while the cryorig has 100+ g weight in cooling mass.

Which one do you think will perform better ?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Ok guys, where are the two possibly optimal cpu cooler configurations that I am considering for conswole:

Black ridge + nf a12x25 on top - 6 heat pipes ,407 g, total height with fan 47 + 25 == 72mm

Cryorig C1 + XT140 - 6 heat pipes, 539 g , total height with fan 61 + 13 == 74mm (not sure if we can fit a nf a12x15 since that pushes it to 76mm by specification)

So the black ridge has the advantage of a12x25 which is basically legendary at this point, while the cryorig has 100+ g weight in cooling mass.

I'm not familiar with both, but having more mass doesn't always translate to better cooling.

Since we're talking about airflow assisted cooling, what's important here is actually total surface area of the radiator fins.

Now go & start counting those layers :)

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019

Why not the NF-L12S? Isn't that the consensus best cooler at 70mm?

EDIT: From the Conswole page, here's a list of coolers that fit:
  • Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • Noctua NH-L12S
  • Noctua NH-L9x65
  • be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
  • ID COOLING IS-60 (can be used with 25mm fan on top)
  • Alpenföhn® Black Ridge (can be used with 25mm fan on top)
  • Thermalright AXP-100H MUSCLE
  • Thermalright AXP-100 Full Copper
  • CRYORIG C1
  • Cooler Master MasterAir G100M RGB
  • RAIJINTEK PALLAS
  • Phanteks TC12LS
I've bolded the ones I would look at. Also, this isn't listed but the numbers show that the ThermalRight AXP-200 Muscle should be compatible.

The Black Ridge is most likely to have compatibility challenges, I think.

Last edited:

Tyki

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2016
I love the form factor, I just can't say I am a fine of the design details on the case. Having a ~10L case with support for taller CPU coolers is great, but the vent design and front panel material make it look a bit dated to me. This case with the styling of the SV series would be an amazing product in my eyes!

ironwilly

Chassis Packer
Mar 15, 2020
Why not the NF-L12S? Isn't that the consensus best cooler at 70mm?

I've bolded the ones I would look at. Also, this isn't listed but the numbers show that the ThermalRight AXP-200 Muscle should be compatible.

At 70mm the L12S wins yes, but at 75 a black ridge + noctua fan on top is better.

But I really like the AXP-200 Muscle, it seems to have enough room for a 15mm noctua fan, good find.

The interesting thing is, they look identical , AXP-200 and the RAIJINTEK , design wise and everything, but then they have a 10mm + 10g difference ?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
At 70mm the L12S wins yes, but at 75 a black ridge + noctua fan on top is better.

But I really like the AXP-200 Muscle, it seems to have enough room for a 15mm noctua fan, good find.

The interesting thing is, they look identical , AXP-200 and the RAIJINTEK , design wise and everything, but then they have a 10mm + 10g difference ?
Seems like only a 5mm height difference to me. I suspect one just has more metal.
Also I don't know if a black ridge+noctua on top would be better - what is the heatsink mass difference between the L12S and the BR?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
problem with BR is the board compatibility, from what I read, it is a good fit for Intel boards but have real problem fitting on AMD / ryzen board, especially with those tall VRM heatsinks.

jirachijirachi

Caliper Novice
Jul 16, 2018
I know this might have been discussed already but is it possible to put a monitor on top of a Console in horizontal mode? Is the structure designed to withstand 5kg or weight?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I know this might have been discussed already but is it possible to put a monitor on top of a Console in horizontal mode? Is the structure designed to withstand 5kg or weight?

Confirming I put my 27" monitor on top of mine without problems. So long as your monitor doesn't have a large flat base like some of the Dell monitors do you should be fine. (Large base would hurt cooling.)

problem with BR is the board compatibility, from what I read, it is a good fit for Intel boards but have real problem fitting on AMD / ryzen board, especially with those tall VRM heatsinks.

Confirming this - I would avoid the Black Ridge for most builds. Best choices in Swole are L12S and Big Shuriken per @ermac318 recommendation. Thermalright is great to, but hard to get in the US.

I would recommend the C1, less likely to have any fit problems.

I love the form factor, I just can't say I am a fine of the design details on the case. Having a ~10L case with support for taller CPU coolers is great, but the vent design and front panel material make it look a bit dated to me. This case with the styling of the SV series would be an amazing product in my eyes!

The SV540 might be just what you are looking for, will have that in a few months.

I might have to change the front panel of the Console here before release, grained front panels are showing scratches we don't see until after anodize. Will probably have to change to a matte sand blasted look like the Ghost S1. Will know by end of week, and start re-shooting pictures.

lexkalin

Efficiency Noob
Apr 1, 2020
I might have to change the front panel of the Console here before release, grained front panels are showing scratches we don't see until after anodize. Will probably have to change to a matte sand blasted look like the Ghost S1. Will know by end of week, and start re-shooting pictures.

Would you apply this to pre-order batch shipping out in April (ordered one myself as well)? I had nothing against current front panel, but matte sand would be freaking perfect.

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Tried reading through the thread, but couldn't find the answer to this:

What colour will the sides me? In one picture they look silver, in the others they look black/grey. Really digging the silver front and black side panels look, and I'm awfully close to preordering a Conswole :) Thanks in advance!

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Tried reading through the thread, but couldn't find the answer to this:

What colour will the sides me? In one picture they look silver, in the others they look black/grey. Really digging the silver front and black side panels look, and I'm awfully close to preordering a Conswole :) Thanks in advance!

If you mean the first picture on the website, I think a trick of the light makes it look more silver. AFAIK it's silver front and the rest black.

Reactions: Skarum

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
If you mean the first picture on the website, I think a trick of the light makes it look more silver. AFAIK it's silver front and the rest black.

Lovely. Thank you! :)

@KSliger: If you do end up making different colors, would it be possible to buy a different front and swapping them ourselves? Would love a grey/gun metal front.

nnotnenn

Efficiency Noob
Jan 22, 2020
Hey @KSliger I need to make a couple of modifications to my order. I’ve sent a couple of emails and a PM on here but haven’t heard anything?

I’m sure you’re slammed at the moment but I just wanna make sure it’s all right before you start shipping seeing as I’m on the other side of the world.

jirachijirachi

Caliper Novice
Jul 16, 2018
Reading from previous posts, I gather that the real hard limit of the Console is 2.1 slot card. Does that mean there's only 2mm room beyond the PCIe slot? Is there any possibility to create bigger gap via standoff from the attachment of the side panel?

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Reading from previous posts, I gather that the real hard limit of the Console is 2.1 slot card. Does that mean there's only 2mm room beyond the PCIe slot? Is there any possibility to create bigger gap via standoff from the attachment of the side panel?
It's confusing actually, in the pictures they used a strix card which is 2.4

Sligerjack

Caliper Novice
Jul 29, 2019
www.sliger.com
It's confusing actually, in the pictures they used a strix card which is 2.4

The "slot" measurement is notoriously inaccurate. Every manufacturer measures it differently. We use it more as a general guideline.
The measurement that we ere with in terms of compatibility is the actual width measurement. The console is compatible with cards up-to 40mm wide. The card used in the photos is the Strix 1070, which comes in right at the 40mm mark!

Reactions: Skarum