Choosing a cooler for i9-9900k

RareScrap

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Hello guys. I always dreamed of a compact, but over-performance computer. I have never tried to build SFF PC before, so I can not answer unequivocally some of the questions that arise.

And the most important question is how to cool my CPU? I studied many reviews of coolers and identified the following options for myself:
  • cryorig c7 cu with custom Noctua fan to raise its height to 47 mm and solve the turbulence problem (which, as I heard, is present in this cooler)
  • Alpenföhn Black Ridge, but my RAM modules (G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4 Kit 32GTZR) too tall for this cooler. I am really considering the option of taking a grinder and sawing off part of the radiator, but I do not know how much this will affect its characteristics.
  • Noctua NH-L9iNoctua NH-L9i with more tall fan.
  • Thermalright AXP-100RH with with Akasa 80x80x12mm FAN @ 3000 RPM max, mounted under heatsink. Saw this here.
I planned use Zaber Sentry 2.0 case when the stars finally converge and someone puts it on the ebay. My motherboard is ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming.

How effective are the coolers described above? How noisy are they? Are there any air cooling options that I don't know about? I would be grateful for any reasonable advice.

And forgive me if I suddenly made a mistake in the section or did not find the question in the FAQ. This is my first post on this forum, and I am not fluent in English :)

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
The best option would be black ridge with vlp ram and a 120 mm fan, but your ram is too tall. Cryorig c7 cu with a noctua fan is probably what you should go for. You also might need to underclock and undervolt the 9900K.

RareScrap

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
@ParallaxStax Why i cant cut off this part on Black Ridge:

It seems that this is just a part of the radiator that does not contain a cooler or heat pipe.

Reactions: aneker

judokamak

Trash Compacter
Sep 25, 2019
It would be interesting to see the result of such modification..

This guy inserted default fan under the axp-100 cu fins.

Personally, i would go with VLP ram + 120mm fan option. It makes most sense for 9900k.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
It would be interesting to see the result of such modification..

This guy inserted default fan under the axp-100 cu fins.

Personally, i would go with VLP ram + 120mm fan option. It makes most sense for 9900k.

Is there any in depth benchmarking of a 9900K with a Blackridge in different configurations?

Locked to 95W, I'd imagine it'd cope fine with any fan/RAM configuration, but I'd also imagine so would any other cooler in the same height range (except maybe the L9i).
Unlocked and running at 4.7Ghz all core, MCE enabled, etc. I wouldn't even put a low profile aircooler on it.

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Mine runs happily at 4.6-4.7 all core under an l9i during sustained loads. And MCE enabled does deliver those short punches when needed, although it'll throttle back after 10 seconds or so.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Mine runs happily at 4.6-4.7 all core under an l9i during sustained loads. And MCE enabled does deliver those short punches when needed, although it'll throttle back after 10 seconds or so.
Wow, that's impressive. Got a HWMonitor/MWInfo64 screenshot? I'd love to see the power draw and temps on that. Sounds like you've got a very efficient chip.

Odd_Fox

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2020
I’ll leave the cooler discussion to the more well informed, but there there are a couple points to be made in your choice of CPU. First off, if this is an all around rig for which gaming is not the primary use-case and you are set on Intel over AMD, consider the 9900KS model as tests have shown it to be significantly more efficient silicone than the vanilla 9900K. The reason this is relevant here is that the efficiency equates to lower thermals. But if gaming is the primary use case then the hyperthreading, and excess heat that comes with it, is not necessary and you can get near-identical performance with the 9700K with a big drop in thermal lode.

Reactions: Valantar

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
Around 1.1v and 4.4ghz all core. I maxed out around 98w tdp in aida64 stress test around 1 hour. You should be fine with that. I have a ghost and will try out an 240 aio large hat on bottom on Saturday.

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Wow, that's impressive. Got a HWMonitor/MWInfo64 screenshot? I'd love to see the power draw and temps on that. Sounds like you've got a very efficient chip.
Sorry, missed this post...

Here after 10mins of Furmark's CPU burner, 4.6 all core, 140W, temp limit set to 99°C in BIOS:

Reactions: Valantar