Cooling CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S/i9-9900K is AMAZING

Admiral

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
Not a lot to report here, but for anyone planning an i9-9900K build whose case can accommodate a Noctua NH-C14S, do it! I've got a rig transcoding video files from h.264 to h.265 HEVC and this cooler keeps all cores manageably cool (averaging about 160° Fahrenheit across eight cores at over 93% load) twenty-four hours a day. The heatsink fins are barely warm to the touch. And the fan turns around 1000 rpm.

NCASE M1 accommodates this cooler. I wonder about the Streacom DA2.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
After 100 reads with no response (except Nanook's Like), I gather not many people are using i9-9900K with NH-C14S.
But, I do!
I will be doing some thermal tests (with Prime95 26.6 and Cinebench R15) really soon.
I will not overclock anything at the moment, stock Asus Z390i Gaming BIOS with MCE disabled.

Maybe you can also run these 2 tests and we can compare numbers?
If you do, post your fan curve as well.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
I don’t think I plan to get a 9900k anytime soon, but I’m happy to see more data points with a cooler I’d potentially use. From all the reviews though it seems important to specify what TDP/clock speed you’re getting during a given workload as default bios settings are inconsistent and rather important to what temperatures you’ll see

Admiral

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
I don’t think I plan to get a 9900k anytime soon, but I’m happy to see more data points with a cooler I’d potentially use. From all the reviews though it seems important to specify what TDP/clock speed you’re getting during a given workload as default bios settings are inconsistent and rather important to what temperatures you’ll see

Fair enough, but I should warn you that I'm not an overclocker or benchmarker and haven't been digging around in the BIOS for marginal improvements.

The motherboard is an AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC and I put it in a Thermaltake V1 which has zero other fans — fanless power supply, front 200mm case fan removed. All eight cores are at 4.7 GHz and according to CoreTemp 1.12.1 the CPU seems to be drawing 170W+ continuously. The heatsink fins are merely warm to the touch and no discomfort from handling them. Clearly this heatsink can dissipate a massive amount of heat.

senorandrew

What's an ITX?
Jan 21, 2019
After 100 reads with no response (except Nanook's Like), I gather not many people are using i9-9900K with NH-C14S.
But, I do!
I will be doing some thermal tests (with Prime95 26.6 and Cinebench R15) really soon.
I will not overclock anything at the moment, stock Asus Z390i Gaming BIOS with MCE disabled.

Maybe you can also run these 2 tests and we can compare numbers?
If you do, post your fan curve as well.

Hello, just to confirm you have the asus rog strix z390i and the c14s and it fits? I was looking at noctuas site and they said this combo was "mechanically incompatible". I currently am in the midst of building a new pc and I have the z390i and was considering the c14s until i ran upon noctuas warning.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hello, just to confirm you have the asus rog strix z390i and the c14s and it fits? I was looking at noctuas site and they said this combo was "mechanically incompatible". I currently am in the midst of building a new pc and I have the z390i and was considering the c14s until i ran upon noctuas warning.

Yes, I confirm NH-C14S does work on an Asus Z390i.
Take a look at my build pics. Here:- https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/wysiwyg-bc1-mini.9274/page-2

Short recap:-
Note the orientation of my NH-C14S (ie with heatpipes pointing away from the display card). It cannot be pointing toward the display card because the heatpipes will hit the backplate of the GPU.
Additionally, for this to work, I need to use a steel file to saw away a tiny bit off from the apex of the curved side of the mounting bar because it is pushing against the closest memory module.

Please read my build log for more details.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Would an NH-C14 (non-S) with dual fans (NF-P14 I believe) be suitable for a 9900K in a Cerberus-X?
Well an U9s with 2 A9 fans inside a Streacom DA2, it cool it perfectly with an ASrock Z390! When I've tested the C14s in the same conditions, was only around4/5 degrees better. But the airflow in the Cerberus is better, so maybe can be good!

Anyway, absolutely yes! I suggest to use just 1 fan, but the EK 140 Vardar EVO. They were suggest to me by @MarcParis , and was a great choice! More effective on the heatsink, and at same speed more quiet. But mostly is the the better sound! The Noctua 140mm' sound reminds me an old home cooling fan. :D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well an U9s with 2 A9 fans inside a Streacom DA2, it cool it perfectly with an ASrock Z390! When I've tested the C14s in the same conditions, was only around4/5 degrees better. But the airflow in the Cerberus is better, so maybe can be good!

Anyway, absolutely yes! I suggest to use just 1 fan, but the EK 140 Vardar EVO. They were suggest to me by @MarcParis , and was a great choice! More effective on the heatsink, and at same speed more quiet. But mostly is the the better sound! The Noctua 140mm' sound reminds me an old home cooling fan. :D
@fabio I'm glad you are happy with Vardar 140 EVO as 140mm fan market is not as obvious as 120mm fan..:)

ITAngel

What's an ITX?
Jul 18, 2019
Not a lot to report here, but for anyone planning an i9-9900K build whose case can accommodate a Noctua NH-C14S, do it! I've got a rig transcoding video files from h.264 to h.265 HEVC and this cooler keeps all cores manageably cool (averaging about 160° Fahrenheit across eight cores at over 93% load) twenty-four hours a day. The heatsink fins are barely warm to the touch. And the fan turns around 1000 rpm.

NCASE M1 accommodates this cooler. I wonder about the Streacom DA2.

Thank you for sharing that with us because I am looking for a cooler for my 9900K that is on a O11-Dynamic case and most cooler are super tall passing the 155mm hight that is needed for my case. So I was thinking something pretty solid that is much lower like the NH-C14S cooler. If this is working great I may have to go grab one. I have a Corsair H115i Pro but I want my system to remain air cooled if possible instead.

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
if you'd prefer a 120mm tower cooler, the cryorig h7 (if it's available/not super overpriced) is 145mm, the scythe mugen 5 rev b and fuma 2 are both 155mm. the mugen is generally the better value, though the fuma 2 has slightly better full-speed thermals. the previous fuma (rev b) was ~148mm and a few users managed to cram it into a cerberus