Discussion Cooling a 9900k with a NH-L9a or Jonsbo HP-400

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
Before you all jump on this and explain to me how this is a bad idea, I already own the 9900k in question and have already upgraded my main PC to a 10900k. Im trying to get this to work with what I have, although I know this may be a futile endeavor. This is a streaming PC, so ideally I'd like to keep all cores enabled in a new V2 Velka 5 case, but I understand that may be impossible and may need to disable some.

I'd love help in any way possible trying to make it work, and support from anyone who may have worked this out already. I'll run down my list, so let me know if you have any other ideas because help will be greatly appreciated! Also, let me know if anyone might be interested in a build log for this post and I can post what I'm doing.

I've already purchased the components I need to delid the 9900k, and plan to use liquid metal to direct-die cool it. I have never done this before, and the idea of taking the TIM off the top of the chip AND using LM is a bit scary, but I think this alone could make this project work. I've watched videos by Der8auer and Gamers Nexus, and believe I may get a pretty large drop in temps. Would a delid with high quality thermal paste give me decent results as well? I've heard of liquid metal shifting around in laptops, and when my country reopens, this will be my travel PC.

My 9900k overclocked great, so I'm hoping it will get me a decent undervolt as well. If I can get stock speeds at a much lower power target, I think I can cool it down significantly.

For those of you who dont know, the max cooler height of this case is 37mm. I already own a NH-L9i, but I hear the Jonsbo HP-400 is a slightly better cooler thanks to its two extra heatpipes. Does anyone know if this is true, or is it because the fan runs at 600 rpm faster? I'd prefer to use a Noctua fan, and I cant find any evidence of anyone using this particular combination. I also can't find out for certain what that cooler is made out of, so I'm not sure I could even use liquid metal on it. Some websites claim it has a "pure copper base" while their own website don't even list the material. Are there any other coolers I should look at?

I was reading some old posts on hardforum that had some people getting a 2-3 degree drop by switching the fan on the NH-L9i to pull rather than push. Can anyone else verify if that might work? I'm grasping at straws for every possible degree drop I can get here.

If all this fails, I could throw this in a K39 with a Black Ridge which I'm fairly certain could calm this beast, but I much rather stick to the Velka 5 as it would allow me to move my current GPU into this case once the Nvidia 3000 series come out. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Last edited:

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Before you all jump on this and explain to me how this is a bad idea, I already own the 9900k in question and have already upgraded my main PC to a 10900k. Im trying to get this to work with what I have, although I know this may be a futile endeavor. This is a streaming PC, so ideally I'd like to keep all cores enabled in a new V2 Velka 5 case, but I understand that may be impossible and may need to disable some.

I'd love help in any way possible trying to make it work, and support from anyone who may have worked this out already. I'll run down my list, so let me know if you have any other ideas because help will be greatly appreciated! Also, let me know if anyone might be interested in a build log for this post and I can post what I'm doing.

I've already purchased the components I need to delid the 9900k, and plan to use liquid metal to direct-die cool it. I have never done this before, and the idea of taking the TIM off the top of the chip AND using LM is a bit scary, but I think this alone could make this project work. I've watched videos by Der8auer and Gamers Nexus, and believe I may get a pretty large drop in temps. Would a delid with high quality thermal paste give me decent results as well? I've heard of liquid metal shifting around in laptops, and when my country reopens, this will be my travel PC.

My 9900k overclocked great, so I'm hoping it will get me a decent undervolt as well. If I can get stock speeds at a much lower power target, I think I can cool it down significantly.

For those of you who dont know, the max cooler height of this case is 37mm. I already own a NH-L9i, but I hear the Jonsbo HP-400 is a slightly better cooler thanks to its two extra heatpipes. Does anyone know if this is true, or is it because the fan runs at 600 rpm faster? I'd prefer to use a Noctua fan, and I cant find any evidence of anyone using this particular combination. I also can't find out for certain what that cooler is made out of, so I'm not sure I could even use liquid metal on it. Some websites claim it has a "pure copper base" while their own website don't even list the material. Are there any other coolers I should look at?

I was reading some old posts on hardforum that had some people getting a 2-3 degree drop by switching the fan on the NH-L9i to pull rather than push. Can anyone else verify if that might work? I'm grasping at straws for every possible degree drop I can get here.

If all this fails, I could throw this in a K39 with a Black Ridge which I'm fairly certain could calm this beast, but I much rather stick to the Velka 5 as it would allow me to move my current GPU into this case once the Nvidia 3000 series come out. Let me know if you have any ideas!

please state exactly which case you own, along with posting a link to its specifications.

need this link with info, in order to respond.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
please state exactly which case you own, along with posting a link to its specifications.

need this link with info, in order to respond.
As stated in post, 37mm height max. Velka 5 V2. Only thing I missed is that I already run LP DDR4, wish I could get VLP DDR4 but thats a near $200 investment

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So you absolutely can cool a 9900k with an L9i. It's just a matter of what boost behavior you will accept. You could set the maximum power targets in your BIOS or XTU to be lower numbers, keeping the CPU to 65W sustained load and letting it boost to something like 95W for 30 seconds. This would be PL1 of 65W, PL2 of 95W, and Tau of 30 seconds. It would basically perform like a 9900 non-K part under that setting. You can also combine this with an undervolt to improve your clock speeds (since you will be potentially power and thermal limited).

You won't get a 5.1GHz sustained all core turbo or anything close to that. Honestly all the direct-die cooling stuff would probably be better spent on VLP RAM, as your cooler will not be able to dissipate heat fast enough for the heat coefficient of the TIM and IHS to matter.