CPU cooler for Ghost

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
Hello guys! I've been overthinking the subject of CPU coolers while waiting for my Louqe Ghost. I know the NH-L12, due to a favourable test from Louqe, is the go-to cooler, but I have other needs.

It must not be in conflict with neither RAM nor heatsinks on the motherboard. In other words, a small footprint. Bending pipes or removing heatsinks is not an option. This means the Alpenføhn Black Ridge/NH-L12 is out of the question.

So, I'm left with the following:

1. Cryorig C7 or C7 cu with 25mm noctua fan (with fanduct)

2. Noctua L9i/a (possibly with fan duct if i get a 25mm fan)

3.Noctua L9x65 (turbulence issues?)

4. Other

Can any of you oracles point me in the right direction? Not planning on overclocking, just a silent cooler that stays out of the way. :)

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
It depends a little on what the weekends' sales brings. Ryzen 7 2700X (too hot?) or an Intel i7-7900 methinks. I know a small cooler is always about compromises, but if I could overclock a little without toasting all the things, that would be nice. Ryzen has some automatic overclock function?

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
How tall of ram are you planning on using? The NH-L12 has 43mm ram clearance.

Thing is, I don't want the build to be blocked by a heatsink that spreads it's wings all over the place. I know it is a little silly, but it is what it is. :)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Hello guys! I've been overthinking the subject of CPU coolers while waiting for my Louqe Ghost. I know the NH-L12, due to a favourable test from Louqe, is the go-to cooler, but I have other needs.

It must not be in conflict with neither RAM nor heatsinks on the motherboard. In other words, a small footprint. Bending pipes or removing heatsinks is not an option. This means the Alpenføhn Black Ridge/NH-L12 is out of the question.

So, I'm left with the following:

1. Cryorig C7 or C7 cu with 25mm noctua fan (with fanduct)

2. Noctua L9i/a (possibly with fan duct if i get a 25mm fan)

3.Noctua L9x65 (turbulence issues?)

4. Other

Can any of you oracles point me in the right direction? Not planning on overclocking, just a silent cooler that stays out of the way. :)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...sink&cm_re=1u_heatsink-_-35-114-143-_-Product

Probably loud, most likely hot, but damn that heatsink is slim!

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017

These are, in fact, loud as hell blower fans. I purchased and tested the Dynatron R25 with a 5820k and while it cooled the chip perfectly fine, it was literally unusable in a desktop scenario. I can't recommend low profile server coolers at all for a desktop. End of story lol.

Reactions: el01