Check in before starting NCase M1 Build

rarskies

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 12, 2020

Hey all,

I'm intending to start building in the next week or so now that I have 90% of my parts. Just wanted to check in with the community here if you think anything looks too stupid, or too hard to pull off!

I've made some revision to my initial ideas listed here, https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/seeking-advice-re-ncase-m1-watercooling-hat-mod.12951/

Planning now on creating a custom PETG loop (might change to acrylic or glass later) with a 240 rad & external 280 rad. There will be EK quick disconnects out the back so i can run it on the 240 only if I need to move the computer. This build will also have a custom 'skirt' and GPU backplate made from silky oak (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJDX9PzMkekCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAR)

Lemme know your thoughts!

(more pics)

Logurhythm

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 30, 2020
Love the design, I think opposed to most internal open loop builds for the M1, this would definitely cool best. A few things are off about it though.. so I'll go over some additional notes to consider from the build I made a couple years ago.

1.The side panel clearance will be tight with the GPU waterblock. If your using anything beyond a reference PCB, the combination of the GPU PCB + waterblock fitting header won't clear the side panel, therefore you won't be able to use them. Most board-partner PCB's are out of the question because they'e so massive.

2. Depending on the motherboard, you've might have just enough room for a 92mm radiator and lowprofile fan on the back. Alphacool seems to make the only 92mm rad to fit inside the m1. I Personally used the Black Ice 92mm radiator, but it didn't leave enough room for a fan, so I had to mount the fan outside the case.

3. an SFX-L PSU could give you clearance issues with the GPU. I'd stick to SFX with some tight cable management.

4.You will have about 35-40mm of clearance from the bottom of the case to the underside of the GPU with the waterblock. Additionally, you may run into a clearance issue with i/o connections on the GPU (Like a displayport connection that sits on the second row of the card, the hooded portion that connects to the PCB may interfere with the positioning of the fan and/or radiator).

All in all, even with the external radiator, the model you provided seems pretty generous on the space the M1 actually gives you. Just exercise caution when picking the parts. Hope that helps

rarskies

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 12, 2020
Love the design, I think opposed to most internal open loop builds for the M1, this would definitely cool best. A few things are off about it though.. so I'll go over some additional notes to consider from the build I made a couple years ago.

1.The side panel clearance will be tight with the GPU waterblock. If your using anything beyond a reference PCB, the combination of the GPU PCB + waterblock fitting header won't clear the side panel, therefore you won't be able to use them. Most board-partner PCB's are out of the question because they'e so massive.

2. Depending on the motherboard, you've might have just enough room for a 92mm radiator and lowprofile fan on the back. Alphacool seems to make the only 92mm rad to fit inside the m1. I Personally used the Black Ice 92mm radiator, but it didn't leave enough room for a fan, so I had to mount the fan outside the case.

3. an SFX-L PSU could give you clearance issues with the GPU. I'd stick to SFX with some tight cable management.

4.You will have about 35-40mm of clearance from the bottom of the case to the underside of the GPU with the waterblock. Additionally, you may run into a clearance issue with i/o connections on the GPU (Like a displayport connection that sits on the second row of the card, the hooded portion that connects to the PCB may interfere with the positioning of the fan and/or radiator).

All in all, even with the external radiator, the model you provided seems pretty generous on the space the M1 actually gives you. Just exercise caution when picking the parts. Hope that helps
Thanks a mil for the super detailed reply!

1. this one got my heart palpitating, I think I measured up card width *roughly* when I bought this MSI MECH 5700xt, not sure whether that was with a block on or not. Fortunately I think my pcb is pretty close to ref (pcb looks to be about 12mm smaller than cooler width), so I’ll just cross my fingers and hope. I manage to jam a 1080 Phoenix GLH in there with noctua replacement fan (133mm), so I think I’ll be fine assuming gpu block terminal ain’t more than 22 or so

2. a 92 doesn’t fit in the provided mountS with my z390-I heatsink, I have a fan ghetto attached there with zip ties atm. I think if I grind the edge of a fan down 1/2mm might be fine

3. I got a sf750 with custom unsleeved cables inbound!

4. didn’t really consider these kind of specific clearance issues when thinking about bottom rad, I think it’ll fit because there’s no DVI/DisplayPort on 2nd level of GPU

These is my parts list btw, most of which I own/is on the way in the post.
  • HWLabs GTS240 rad + 2 x Noctua A12x25s
  • XT45 280mm + 2 x Silent Wings 3 140mm
  • EK-XRES REVO 100 D5 with EK mounting brackets
  • 9700k + Bykski CPU block
  • MSI Mech OC 5700XT + Bykski GPU block
  • 32GB Trident Z Ram
  • Bykski Flow Indicator
  • EK Ball Valve + 90degree fitting for drain port
  • 2 x EK-QDC on soft tube ~halfway between rear of Ncase and external rad
  • EK-ZMT 10/16mm (3/8-5/8inch) tubing (I already have the fittings for it)
  • Various Barrow and Bykski fittings
  • 4 x Barrow PETG tubing 500mm for when I stuff up the bends.
  • EK clear/solid white coolant
  • Little bit of RGB which I may turn off/leave on white/blue
  • Custom short un-sleeved cables from DreamBigRay

Again thanks for the comments, got me thinking for sure!

rarskies

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 12, 2020
80% done with the skirt, just need to glue everything together and cut off the front corners to match Ncase front facade!