Cerberus-X Watercooling [IN PROGRESS]

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Day 25??? Ho Ho Ho!
So the end of the year always ends up being a flurry of work and I have little to no time for recreational pursuits like this monster. A few spare moments in the last few weeks were spent bending, but I ended up throwing most of my gear in my car and taking it to the parents' house.

The Todo above has been remedied - mostly because I was really tired of having no primary pc to putz around with. So all the dreams of custom sleeving and nice bends and what not are delayed! I plan on redoing everything with nicely sleeved cables and cleaner bends after we see how great the noctua sterox fans are in january.

With these ugly bends and only 2 fans working out of three (I forgot to bring my fan cables!), this thing is dead quiet and I have yet to get my GPU over 40c (ambient temp ~27). Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Kooki and MarcParis

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
I promise with the Jan update I'll take the time to take thorough pictures and do a nice writeup of things I've learned and what not.

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
It’s becoming real..:)
Nice setup. I want to see it when completed with thermals..:)
Are there any benchmarks you're particularly fond of? It's been a long time since I've put a pc together so if you have a suite of tests you like to run I'll happily defer to your judgement.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Intel burn test for cpu stability and thermal test..:)
Furmark for 3D, but check settings to maximize power consumption. Use hwinfo to monitor gpu power usage..:) an OC GTX 1080ti will use more than 300w in furmark properlly settings.

Reactions: Chann3l

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Intel burn test for cpu stability and thermal test..:)
Furmark for 3D, but check settings to maximize power consumption. Use hwinfo to monitor gpu power usage..:) an OC GTX 1080ti will use more than 300w in furmark properlly settings.
I've done both and I'm massively impressed with the ability of a waterblock to suck heat away from the 1080ti.

Less impressed thus far with the z270i monoblock, I'm worried it isn't seated as well as it could be. The package heats up quite a bit more (and can spike to 70c) with an extremely modest overclock, similar temps to what I was getting before on air. I'm aware that individual cores can spike like crazy, but having the package temp be so far above the temperature of the water tells me I might have poor contact between the block and the IHS.

I'll run the benchmarks again this eve and take some nice screenshots for you all.

In Jan when I'm going to redo my tubes and add the custom cables, I'll also take apart the blocks and clean/reseat everything.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've done both and I'm massively impressed with the ability of a waterblock to suck heat away from the 1080ti.

Less impressed thus far with the z270i monoblock, I'm worried it isn't seated as well as it could be. The package heats up quite a bit more (and can spike to 70c) with an extremely modest overclock, similar temps to what I was getting before on air. I'm aware that individual cores can spike like crazy, but having the package temp be so far above the temperature of the water tells me I might have poor contact between the block and the IHS.

I'll run the benchmarks again this eve and take some nice screenshots for you all.

In Jan when I'm going to redo my tubes and add the custom cables, I'll also take apart the blocks and clean/reseat everything.
Well 70ºc on cpu, it clearly depends if you have delidded or not your cpu.
That what piss me off on intel chip...great oc potential but very poor solution between cpu and ihs...that is killing oc potential...

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Well 70ºc on cpu, it clearly depends if you have delidded or not your cpu.
That what piss me off on intel chip...great oc potential but very poor solution between cpu and ihs...that is killing oc potential...
Oh I totally have it delidded, with some nice liquid metal there now. I saw some nice performance improvements on air - but little to no improvement once on water, which is why I'm worried there's poor contact.

7700k at 1.3v, 4.9 Ghz. 70c. Bleugh. I will run more tests when I get home.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Oh I totally have it delidded, with some nice liquid metal there now. I saw some nice performance improvements on air - but little to no improvement once on water, which is why I'm worried there's poor contact.

7700k at 1.3v, 4.9 Ghz. 70c. Bleugh. I will run more tests when I get home.
Sure it’s strange. I hope you will find root cause

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Here's yer benchmarks! 1080ti is so COLD it's unreal. If I had a beefier PSU I'd give it the 'ol shunt mod so it could take more power.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
hehe watercooling a gpu is always a big surprise in terms of temp..:) After you need to wait for coolant to get warm to compare vs aircooler..:)

However I'm surprised your gpu is only hitting 1746Mhz...it's missing 250mhz minimum..it's time for overclocking..:)
You should be around 50-55°C during long load..:)

Do you have coil whine?

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
hehe watercooling a gpu is always a big surprise in terms of temp..:) After you need to wait for coolant to get warm to compare vs aircooler..:)

However I'm surprised your gpu is only hitting 1746Mhz...it's missing 250mhz minimum..it's time for overclocking..:)
You should be around 50-55°C during long load..:)

Do you have coil whine?
I wish! It whines a decent bit... Loudest part of the system :D
Got 2045 core and +525 on memory stable on every game. Escape from Tarkov ruined my 2090 stable.. :(

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I wish! It whines a decent bit... Loudest part of the system :D
Got 2045 core and +525 on memory stable on every game. Escape from Tarkov ruined my 2090 stable.. :(
Clearly those OC values won't do for all application (especially vram)..:)
For a change my GTX 1080ti is a average overlocker. I've been restricted on GPU oc to match all application I'm using (mem +350Mhz and core about 1949-2000Mhz average)
By experience I was able to reach more OC on core but it could become unstable depending on game level. For example, in doom, first open area i was able to reach above 2000Mhz ...but it crashed in later stage..:)
As it's not bringing tons of fps i prefer to aim for maximum, stable OC...at least while gaming..:D