Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
Good luck with high power gpu :) in this layout you need at least 10-15mm feets to effectively cool down gpu. If you don't want high feets, invert gpu.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Invert the case sint hat the CPU faces down and the GPU faces up. Low profile cooler like the Zalman should be fine maybe?

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
Standing the case vertically would be the most effective orientation for cooling but may tip over without a stand.

Edit: See below for example

Last edited:

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
@amitoza , @makiasd
Yes, we will use higher feet for better cooling. I think 6-9mm. Feet can be installed on any side. And case can be used in three positions:
  1. Standing.
  2. The CPU faces down and the GPU faces up.
  3. The GPU faces down and the CPU faces up.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I use that layout currently but if you get a much longer riser cable (300mm) and route it under the motherboard (so GPU is on right side of board) then you can have both CPU and GPU oriented up and do not need high case feet.

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
And we are also thinking about this layout:

But case will be more expensive (+$20 for longer pcie riser) and maybe a little longer.

That reminds me of this build. If you could do this layout under 3L, and show there is no real-world performance impact with using a longer PCI-E cable, I say do it.

It would allow for enthusiast HTPC builds, and with VESA mounting holes you could attach it to the back of your monitor and have it take zero desk space.

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
Solution has been found!

2.99L (320mm x 180mm x 52mm)
Gigabyte 1070 ITX supported.
The CPU faces up and the GPU faces up.

What advantage does routing the PCI-E under the motherboard have vs routing it under the GPU? I'm concerned about poor ventilation to the M.2 slot on the back of the motherboard.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The advantage is having vents only on one side of the case, so in a horizontal position you wouldn't need case feet to prevent one side of the case from not getting any fresh air. This is also similar to the S3 mini layout except their GPU is on the other side of the motherboard.

You bring up a good point about m.2 hard drives beneath the motherboard. I don't know how hot the fastest drives would get but it's a good idea to test. I have a Sandisk X110 SATA drive beneath the motherboard, no venting at the bottom. It's usually about 45C to 50C warm.

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
This layout is good if you want ssd/hdd/odd below gpu like in my C-1. If there will be only M2, gpu on the other side of motherboard will be better layout. (like on liheat Picture).

Reactions: makiasd

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
I finally made an account here just so I could vote in this poll. I'm loving the idea/design of this case. It reminds me a lot of the S4 Mini but I would be super excited to see the cpu and gpu face up to show off all my tech goodness (and hide the ugly bare PCB). Looking forward to the renders this week and pricing in the future.

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
This layout is good if you want ssd/hdd/odd below gpu like in my C-1.
Judging from the sketch if the GPU was raised a 7mm SSD might just be able to fit below. Wonder how the temps would be though.

Edit: Beautiful C cases btw

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I casted my vote for both GPU and CPU facing up. This case could easily fill in the niche left by the S3 Mini which is a very elusive case.