Concept Carbon Fibre PC Cases (MODCASE Model 2 of 2)

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
I think at stock would be Silversoul 135. That would place this case between the T1 reference that fits the C14s low profile 115mm and the Dan C4 at 145mm. But the fun part of trying different orientations and fan placement. Might even rig something up to flip around the PSU. With the FE pass through, I might toy around with an exhaust duct like the Dan out the top/front.
Great feedback. Will def need to get a unit out to you for some cable stuffing.

Reactions: Stinkybear

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
The following design (slider) and its reconfigurations might be closest to what you describe.

It even has it's own way of expanding to counter cost.
However, it may not be viable for scale production. For now.

Edit: cleaned up image.

Last edited:

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
Potential endgame material right there.

@haydnbao A few questions regarding the Hydra, if you don't mind:

1. What are the supported video-card dimensions in the default configuration?

2. Would it be safe to assume that the smaller blocks near the I/O shield are optional (in the horizontal orientation)?

3. Any chance of adding a cut-out for a "traditional" round switch (e.g., 16mm)? I have this one, which I would like to use.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
You might already have a solution for this but what does the gpu securing bracket look like? I might cut out some of the bars between slots because of FE blower and finding most cases with the bars end up in the way of exhaust. I wonder about the structure if I do this and maybe there's a 3d print option that is compatible with the securing bracket. I'm using Space Case's concept of their 3d printed graphics card mounting as an example that could screw into the back and make it more secure.

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Potential endgame material right there.

@haydnbao A few questions regarding the Hydra, if you don't mind:

1. What are the supported video-card dimensions in the default configuration?

2. Would it be safe to assume that the smaller blocks near the I/O shield are optional (in the horizontal orientation)?

3. Any chance of adding a cut-out for a "traditional" round switch (e.g., 16mm)? I have this one, which I would like to use.
1. GPU Size: 69mm Thick, 141mm High, 308mm Long
2. Yes, you don't install the small blocks in horizontal. However, horizontal is open case for now. There's a resizable mesh to be made by a textile factory when volumes are bigger.
3. I can have a look, do you know where you'd want it?

Reactions: Aluminyum

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
You might already have a solution for this but what does the gpu securing bracket look like? I might cut out some of the bars between slots because of FE blower and finding most cases with the bars end up in the way of exhaust. I wonder about the structure if I do this and maybe there's a 3d print option that is compatible with the securing bracket. I'm using Space Case's concept of their 3d printed graphics card mounting as an example that could screw into the back and make it more secure.
You can cut it out, but I think it may affect strength.

Reactions: AP2

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
1. GPU Size: 69mm Thick, 141mm High, 308mm Long
Sounds good — except for the length, I'm afraid. As you know, video cards keep getting larger these days, so increasing it to, say, 325mm might be worth it.
3. I can have a look, do you know where you'd want it?
No strong preference, but somewhere near the USB ports probably would make the most sense. Speaking of which, is there going to be a USB-C port?

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Sounds good — except for the length, I'm afraid. As you know, video cards keep getting larger these days, so increasing it to, say, 325mm might be worth it.

No strong preference, but somewhere near the USB ports probably would make the most sense. Speaking of which, is there going to be a USB-C port?
Yea that's good to hear regarding the other dimensions. For the length, I want to say there's a customer testing installing the base expansion to the top instead, for the longer GPU support.

We will see how that goes. The vertical base is essentially a demonstration of bolt ons, the other sides follow the same structure.

The usb C port goes into a jacket, which will slot into the same sockets for the normal USB-A connectors. I will need to elaborate on that in a future post.

Reactions: Aluminyum

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
I've been selling them at $215 +tax for open case, $237 for Hydra full case with the base.

I probably need to revise the pricing in the future though.

Reactions: ignsvn and AP2

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
What exactly are the differences between the Hydra’s base and the “prototype” base listed on the website?
I asked this and prototype is the entire unit, case and base. First production of the current up to date pieces, might be a bit rough in some areas, small blemished but still entirely functional. I got the prototype because I knew I was going to messing around with it quite a bit. Most of the carbon fiber pieces were great. 3d printed pieces might have been a bit more rough but not visible once built. All of it was buildable and functional.

Reactions: BaK and rfarmer

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
Thank ya. I just re-read the website and now it makes sense. Can I see photos of your build?
I can show you a few pictures. These are already outdated since I gave feedback for improvements like the psu piece is lower now so a slim fan can fit since there was room anyway w/ stock SF750 cables between the psu and GPU. I ended up pigtailing the power cord since it worked easier when vertical. Side exhaust right now. A number of the 3d pieces look scuffed because I prethreaded them and it ended up displacing some material so I grounded it out so it fits all tight. There are parts that I ended up not using.

Overall I really like the carbon fiber, solid and light material for sure. I was worried about the 3d pieces feeling cheap but that's not really the visible part and it adds so much more customizing, possible color, and easily replaceable parts.

Edit: added a few more pictures and comments to album.

Last edited: