Prototype Monster ITX series Console type, starting price 90$

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
I'm pretty sure the max Vp-p ripple/noise specification is the maximum allowed value under stable input voltage and rated load. The data sheet says as much.
Test reports for sample units are actually freely available on the mean well site, so we don't have to do much of a guessing game.
At 230VAC/50Hz @100% load the test unit had a max ripple voltage of 129mVp-p. Which is in spec of the manufacturer but also outside of ATX requirements.

The maximum allowed ripple (in the ATX requirements) for the 3.3V (and 5V) rail is 50mVp-p btw.
I will test the output into motherboard and Graphic card, That one is just one option for you during my own PSU under design.

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
Honestly man, you have a good idea with the corner connections, but the rest of this isn't anything new. The case looks very reminiscent of an S4M, even down to the vent holes. Meanwell PSU's are well-known PSU's in this community and there's a reason most people don't bother with them. There's a whole thread dedicated to them. https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/meanwell-psu.1270/

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Last edited:

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Honestly man, you have a good idea with the corner connections, but the rest of this isn't anything new. The case looks very reminiscent of an S4M, even down to the vent holes. Meanwell PSU's are well-known PSU's in this community and there's a reason most people don't bother with them. There's a whole thread dedicated to them. https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/meanwell-psu.1270/

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
The one you saw in the picture is old design, I changed to new design for better looking, top and bottom plate shape is option, due those case is same type so no avoid some same point.
I know there are too many complain about this PSU solution, you know I just want to bring many choice to customer. There are not many choice for this kind of PSU.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Update 3 Mar 2018
- Prototype arrived.
- Kit for water cooler.
- Kit for SFX PSU.
- Kit for increasing CPU cooler height.

My fabrication method work excellent:
See all image : https://flic.kr/s/aHsku2s4jK
Some change:
Kit for SFX PSU:

Kit for increasing CPU cooler height and water cooler (mounted side panel):

I will not test thermal performance because sure it better than other case (see ventilation system) and the MB in image not working.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just to be clear here, the SFX power supply is meant to attach to the top of the case with it's modular header array sitting inside the case?

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Just to be clear here, the SFX power supply is meant to attach to the top of the case with it's modular header array sitting inside the case?
No, array is 24 pin, 8 pin x 2 and 4 pin female port connect to modular array, PSU is mounted to a kit mounted on back side

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
And you still consider this a 336 x 305 x 70 build volume?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Maybe it is just me but I always thought that if you couldn't get it in the case it doesn't count.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
While I can understand an AC-DC brick that is completely external to your enclosure and physically several feet away not being calculated into the volume (ie. S4M), this is tantamount to false advertising. Maybe I'm stepping outside my boundaries as a community member, but I'm calling bullshit. Between the "World's Smallest ITX" claims (moving the IEC external to the top of the enclosure to fudge the enclosure height) and now this, my fear is that some of our less savvy members may end up buying one of these enclosures based on false claims. I don't think tolerating this kind of marketing is a healthy direction for our community to go in. That being said, I've made public my opinions in the past and been shut down. Maybe I'm wrong again.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I agree. By the logic of this case, a homeless guy lives in a 2-bedroom apartment. :D

I like the externally powered concepts -- as we discussed on [H], I would love to see the 3L mini-tower version (still don't get how it's possible), and the 3L console-style is interesting, although it relies on using dual 160W 24-pin DC-DCs, which is... interesting. @Kmpkt -- is it possible to daisy chain your Dynamo 160Ws?

And I also liked the concept with only a low-profile GPU + 160W 24-pin DC-DC. That would indeed be the smallest ITX case that uses discrete graphics.

So the OP has some interesting ideas... I mean sure, they step on some previously done stuff, but there are only so many ways to arrange an ITX board, graphics card, and PSU. So... competition is good. But I think this externally-mounted SFX PSU concept is silly, no one would do that... I mean at that point just run an open bench.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The SFX addon sounds like something that would be aimed at people who already have most of their computer parts, including a SFX PSU and want to move them into a case larger than 3-4L. But at that point it's better to sell them a larger case to enclose it (not to mention it will look a lot better). The 3-4L cases are geared towards people who don't mind getting external power bricks, and a 6L version would be for the SFX crowd.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Please read clearly before comment :
"Model S unibody aluminum with 3L volume is world smallest ITX case that can hold ITX board and Gaming GPU card (1060 and up)."

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
The SFX addon sounds like something that would be aimed at people who already have most of their computer parts, including a SFX PSU and want to move them into a case larger than 3-4L. But at that point it's better to sell them a larger case to enclose it (not to mention it will look a lot better). The 3-4L cases are geared towards people who don't mind getting external power bricks, and a 6L version would be for the SFX crowd.
The brick is bigger than SFX, you can detach any time.
If you need some thing like that:

Just see model L. :)