Concept Carbon Fibre PC Cases (MODCASE Model 2 of 2)

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Hello Everyone. I'm posting my project here for anyone interested and answer any questions you may have.

322x264x161mm 12.7x10.4x6.3in 0.9Kg (With vertical feet.)
Please note the Line drawings do not show the connecting cube nuts. They're old illustrations.

👉 For those seeing this project for the first time, I'm an Australian designer who made some lightweight PC cases for myself the way I like it. It's real Carbon Fiber, is modular and expandable in volume. A lot of people encouraged me to make one for them. So I'm cutting some. (More about me see bottom of post.)

This one starts 12.5L, and has bolt on self repeating blocks to increase its size. The vertical feet is technically the first expansion.

Some MODCASE Features:
  • Expandable in all 3 Dimensions. (Self Repeating building CF block system.)
  • Convertible to Open case. Or semi open frame.
  • Unique high open rate mesh belt system.
  • 3.5 PCI Slots. 7 slot by expansion. (Or more.)
  • Rear 90mm Fan support, 120mmx2 Fan support on side.
  • Large Mobo rear access door. It has quad symmetry, you can rotate the door and position vents over your nvme for example.
  • Rear External Pump Res support. (To be tested.)
  • About 900 Grams (Full setup.)
  • Machined 3K Twill Weave Carbon Fiber + Hardened Steel construction.
  • Easy assembly.
Some notable updates:
  1. More vent cuts added for PSU as per feedback.
  2. More vent cuts behind MOBO on the Door.
  3. Added Flat Carbon bars above MOBO instead of tubes. Allowing for 18mm of CPU cooler over hang above the Mobo.
  4. Stock CPU cooler height is support 137mm. (Unlimited Cooler Height with expansion.)
  5. Up to 240mmRAD support by default.
  6. F_Panel IO now fully modular. You can choose between USB C, A, and Power button or have all 3.
  7. Expansion updated into rear plate. 3.5 Slot ready. Unlimited PCIE Slots via expansion.
  8. 👉 Universal Hub Mount revealed. The long slot hole on the Feet, is for you to mount commonly available USB hubs/ card readers from behind.
Why Carbon? MODCASE is designed to be manufacturable in many materials such as Aluminium, Wood, Plastic, or really any other plate type materials. For now I've chosen Carbon because it's awesome.

About me: My name's Haydn Bao, been in manufacturing for about 20 years since I left school, as woodworker, then industrial designer, Mech. engineer and finally marketing manager of Altendorf GMBH (Asia Pacific Division). I’ve recently left my wonderful team and am now putting my expertise in a range of Carbon Fiber products in other industries.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Interesting concept.

If you don't mind, probably it's a good idea to share a picture of the internal layout, so people can have a rough idea on how are things positioned inside the case.

She loved E

Add smallness
Compact Splash
Jun 24, 2015
I love this case, it's really unique, nice combination of exposed fasteners and CF. Clever use of mesh, too!

How close to production are you? Are you looking for feedback & ideas on the design, or are you already gearing up to sell and/or crowdfund?

Reactions: haydnbao

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
I love this case, it's really unique, nice combination of exposed fasteners and CF. Clever use of mesh, too!

How close to production are you? Are you looking for feedback & ideas on the design, or are you already gearing up to sell and/or crowdfund?
Thanks for kind words.

I'm cutting maybe end of this month. I'm going to invite a few more people to try these cases out and have a final round of updates before releasing it as a product.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I would love to test but understand if you want to keep it local.

Stock CPU cooler height is support 137mm. (Unlimited Cooler Height with expansion.)

So currently Silver Soul 130 would fit but would one more expansion give enough for D12l height at 145?

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
I would love to test but understand if you want to keep it local.

Stock CPU cooler height is support 137mm. (Unlimited Cooler Height with expansion.)

So currently Silver Soul 130 would fit but would one more expansion give enough for D12l height at 145?
Yes. For this model, there are sections of tubes you screw onto the tubes. They essentially make the case wider.
Its a bit like a spacer. about 10mm each. An added ribbon accompanies the expansions.

I do have people testing them overseas actually. It's bit more postage though.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So the Tiger = sandwich layout, and the Hydra = classic layout?

They look awesome. How rigid are these things? will they survive, say, a trip in a plane's baggage?

What's the purpose of those "lines" on the Hydra side panels? They look like.. those perforated cutting lines. Also, the exhaust holes on it look somehow random.

On the other side, I really dig the "strips" on the front side of the Tiger, as well as the more-uniform look of its exhaust holes. Any plan to apply the same styling to the Hydra?

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
So the Tiger = sandwich layout, and the Hydra = classic layout?

They look awesome. How rigid are these things? will they survive, say, a trip in a plane's baggage?

What's the purpose of those "lines" on the Hydra side panels? They look like.. those perforated cutting lines. Also, the exhaust holes on it look somehow random.

On the other side, I really dig the "strips" on the front side of the Tiger, as well as the more-uniform look of its exhaust holes. Any plan to apply the same styling to the Hydra?
I think the lines are access without messing with the structure. Smaller one being rear mobo access (back of cpu cooler/rear nvme). The other side is just general interior access. The random cut outs are rear nvme passive cooling, PSU intake, GPU exhaust. I think PSU and mobo mounting make it so it can't be one removable panel.
The Tiger maintains the structure with those strip pieces so I can see the whole side panel being removed for access.

Reactions: haydnbao and ignsvn

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
Yes. For this model, there are sections of tubes you screw onto the tubes. They essentially make the case wider.
Its a bit like a spacer. about 10mm each. An added ribbon accompanies the expansions.

I do have people testing them overseas actually. It's bit more postage though.
At some point toward production, a recommended air cooler would be nice. I don't know if any tester has given feed back to that this early. It could be the one 10mm extension is worth it or not worth it. Silver soul is about 30 less than the D12l in the states.
It would have to be worth it for you to send something overseas/needs more specific tests. It could be that someone else has my exact parts and are already testing it. I'm not a AIO/custom loop person.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I think the lines are access without messing with the structure. Smaller one being rear mobo access (back of cpu cooler/rear nvme). The other side is just general interior access. The random cut outs are rear nvme passive cooling, PSU intake, GPU exhaust. I think PSU and mobo mounting make it so it can't be one removable panel.

I kinda guessed that those are maintenance hatches LOL.. sadly it ruins the symmetry (although not a deal breaker)

The Tiger maintains the structure with those strip pieces so I can see the whole side panel being removed for access.

Now that you mentioned about structure, I think the reason Tiger can have full side panel removed is because it's a sandwich design, where the static primary structure is a plate holding the components somewhere in the middle, hence the side panels can be opened.

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Stinkybear is right.
The cutouts are for heat dissipation behind the Mobo, flanking the GPU sides, and on the other side for Radiator.

Tiger can be used as an open case. So can Hydra. But I haven't shown Hydra in single plate setup because I'm getting more people to test it first.

The cases shouldn't have issues in luggage or being moved around.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
At some point toward production, a recommended air cooler would be nice. I don't know if any tester has given feed back to that this early. It could be the one 10mm extension is worth it or not worth it. Silver soul is about 30 less than the D12l in the states.
It would have to be worth it for you to send something overseas/needs more specific tests. It could be that someone else has my exact parts and are already testing it. I'm not a AIO/custom loop person.
That's a good suggestion. What do you gents reckon is your preferred choice? The silver soul?
At the moment the internal clearance is 136mm as measured from top of AM4 IHS to side panel.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
That's a good suggestion. What do you gents reckon is your preferred choice? The silver soul?
At the moment the internal clearance is 136mm as measured from top of AM4 IHS to side panel.
I think at stock would be Silversoul 135. That would place this case between the T1 reference that fits the C14s low profile 115mm and the Dan C4 at 145mm. But the fun part of trying different orientations and fan placement. Might even rig something up to flip around the PSU. With the FE pass through, I might toy around with an exhaust duct like the Dan out the top/front.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Stinkybear is right.
The cutouts are for heat dissipation behind the Mobo, flanking the GPU sides, and on the other side for Radiator.

Tiger can be used as an open case. So can Hydra. But I haven't shown Hydra in single plate setup because I'm getting more people to test it first.

The cases shouldn't have issues in luggage or being moved around.

Noted on the cutouts.

Any chance to bring these strips & legs from Tiger to Hydra? If you ask me they look better overall