CableMod needs your feedback!

CableMod Community

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
Hey guys,

we at CableMod are planning to increase our offerings regarding (non-sleeved) SFF cables - see below an example picture:

Feel free to share any feedback / requests in regards to SFF cables - We would like to find out more regarding the most common used PSU models, ideal cable lengths etc.

Thanks for your help! :)

CableMod Community

evadne

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2020
I would like to see a Corsair SF series bundle (same lengths and connectors) if that is something you have in mind, for easy ordering.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
most of the cases in this end of the SFF community has the PSU pretty close (if not already next to or behind) the 24-pin receptacle of the motherboard (which are mostly ITX), so examples of the DAN A4 and the NCase M1 usually have pretty short distances to cover. the same should be applicable to GPUs, but that'll depend on how often ITX cards are bought due to connector placement

as for those on the 20L side of cases (cerberus and most custom-loop watercooling ITX builds) those are kind of in-between "regular distance" and "short distance". personally I find the default 24-pin and PCIe cables of the silverstone SX700LPT a little too lengthy (i had to fold the 24-pin cable under the front-mounted PSU, and the PCIe cable just festered in the open space in the lower half of the case), but the EPS and the SATA/Molex cables are pretty much the right length. so there might be a few mix-and-match in lengths for those on the larger end of SFF builds

(for context: my cerberus 11U build housed a reference-length GPU and an ASUS X99M mATX board. 2.5" SSD placement was a little nonstandard, which was why the lengths worked for me. the EPS and SATA power cables were routed under the motherboard)

is it possible to have more of those flush or shortened right-angle connectors for PCIe cables? i've seen a few builds that had to worry for that connector height o_o

(PS: PM the mods if you need help with the forum ?)

2bitmarksman

Chassis Packer
Feb 17, 2020
I will second low profile (low profile right angle maybe?) PCIe 6/8pin connectors. These are could alleviate an issue with full height cards having *just* not enough clearance to close up properly :p

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Corsair SF series are definitely the most popular, also EVGA and Silverstone. The most common usage I have seen for this type of cable is in the Dan A4 with the Asetek 645lt AIO. There is very limited space between the PSU and AIO and these cables really help with cable management and airflow. I have a set of custom cables in my Ghost S1 so cable lengths will be pretty much the same for all sandwich style case. 280mm for both the PCI power and the 8 pin EPS. I have a custom curved 24 pin cable which is 125mm on the short side and 240mm on the long end. I would say at least 250mm for the 24 pin but this can be dependent on the 24 pin location on the motherboard.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I will second low profile (low profile right angle maybe?) PCIe 6/8pin connectors. These are could alleviate an issue with full height cards having *just* not enough clearance to close up properly :p

This ^

You could also look at the most popular existing cases and make cut to length cables for them.

CableMod Community

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
Thanks for the great feedback guys - to summarize:

1) low profile PCIE connectors
2) in regards to the 24PIN connector should it be a right angled one or just a regular one but low profile?
3) very flexible wires for easier cable management
4) cable kits for popular PSU Series such as Corsair & SilverStone - how about the Seasonic SFX Series?

Reactions: Blubbie21

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
2) i doubt that's necessary, there aren't many situations where the 24-pin has any obstructions or hardware above it. would need someone with that particular gripe to comment though ._.

4) thaaaaaat'll depend on market popularity. so far it's been those top two, because Silverstone was the first with high wattage SFX(-L) and Corsair in second place (but brand and quality got them noticed very quickly)

Coolermaster might be next too, so...

CableMod Community

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
regarding 2) a 90 degree connector would involve a STEEP tooling investment so I think the route we will go down will be a low profile 24pin connector which should be suitable for any possible scenario. What do you think?

regarding 4) which SilverStone models are the most popular ones?

Reactions: VegetableStu

CableMod Community

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
how about the following cable lengths and cable qtys per kit?

1 x 24PIN 300mm
1 x 4+4EPS 400mm
2 x 6+2 PCIE 400mm
1 x SATA Power 445mm

evadne

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2020
a 90 degree connector would involve a STEEP tooling investment

There are after-market 90° adapters and in my experience they are more flexible to build with when space is tight.

how about the following cable lengths and cable qtys per kit?

1 x 24PIN 300mm
1 x 4+4EPS 400mm
2 x 6+2 PCIE 400mm
1 x SATA Power 445mm

4-pin Molex is probably still useful. I am currently working on a build which requires at least two of these.

PS. Some cards have their 8-pin power connectors facing one way and some have them facing another way, so both options will need to be considered.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
regarding 2) a 90 degree connector would involve a STEEP tooling investment so I think the route we will go down will be a low profile 24pin connector which should be suitable for any possible scenario. What do you think?
that should be more than sufficient actually o_o as long as the cables have enough play to flex it should cover a lot of cases to begin with

regarding 4) which SilverStone models are the most popular ones?
oof that would require a separate census entirely ._. personally i'm on the SX700 LPT for the headroom, but there are builds with PSU choices closer to what the system would require (think R7/R5/i7/i5 APUs, maybe up to a 3900X for those running a dGPU)

sorry for the pretty roundabout answer, i wish there was a public survey on this ,_,

RaihaX

Caliper Novice
Jan 14, 2019

I third this - my old case I couldn't put one of the motherboard stand off as it blocked the GPU connector (Geeek A50), if I had a low profile right angle it would have been a different story!

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Might be somewhat niche, but I would love cables for the HDPlex 400 DC-ATX with connectors like these (without the stiff sleeving though). I'd make them myself but I can't for the life of me source the connectors.

CableMod Community

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
thanks for the input - will summarize it all and provide the feedback to the PM team on Monday.

How about Riser cables, are you guys satisfied with the lengths available in the market?

hmnzr

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2019
Actually the only reason I haven’t ordered custom cables from your configurator was the minimum available length pf 24 pin cable. It was 250mm IIRC.The most popular sandwich cases require about 150mm, depending on the mobo and the case. I have Ghost S1 with Aorus x570 mobo and corsair sf750 with 150mm cable and its still a bit longer than I’d prefer.

Reactions: MultiDoc