Production Borg - SFF Cube PC Case with mini GPUs (RTX3060Ti)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Good idea, but current design can hide all connections down at the bottom. If go horizontal, it will be like many others, with the rear side connections sticking out? Lets think over how I can hide the cables.

I would like the design hide the cables and all 4 sides identical, doesn't matter which angle you look at it will be nice and clean.
BUT, don't forget the general use: Plugging USB, cables, wifi antennas, etc. maybe one of the sides can be hinged to hide the connectors and keep the clean look? Just think about it!

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
BUT, don't forget the general use: Plugging USB, cables, wifi antennas, etc. maybe one of the sides can be hinged to hide the connectors and keep the clean look? Just think about it!
Need about 4.5-5cm gap for the connector plugs, currently using the raised feet to provide the gap. If the connectors were on the side, the volume will lose by about this amount to maintain the cube shape. Note: the design is a perfect cube, not some "cuboid" and cube wannabee.

The shape is limiting my options, unless I am willing to just go for a rectangular "cuboid". You may also notice that many "cube" PCs have the PSU covering the CPU, which is even worse. I think I have already given CPU full clearance in this respect, hence the bigger size than other compact "cubes".

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Need about 4.5-5cm gap for the connector plugs, currently using the raised feet to provide the gap. If the connectors were on the side, the volume will lose by about this amount to maintain the cube shape. Note: the design is a perfect cube, not some "cuboid" and cube wannabee.

The shape is limiting my options, unless I am willing to just go for a rectangular "cuboid". You may also notice that many "cube" PCs have the PSU covering the CPU, which is even worse. I think I have already given CPU full clearance in this respect, hence the bigger size than other compact "cubes".
I agree. But 5 cm is suepr ok to plug, but think also "I need to find the USB, then I need to lift it or tilt a bit to connect. It's about practical sense. Anyway, I am very interested in this! And of course don't forget to optimize the vented panel with bigger holes this time! ;)

Even Apple for the Trash Can Mac Pro or Corsair for the Corsair one have left simply on the side the connectors! It's called "Design" and is based on people accessibility. ;)

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Then, you would like to achieve something like this!

https://streacom.com/products/db4-fanless-chassis/
Yea but their thermals are terrible I think. Don't think you would even consider that, if you are suggesting NH-U12A here. And my design is even smaller than theirs with AIO support! (DB4 260mm vs Nouvolo Qube 235mm)

UPDATE: Oh and I think DB4 needs to use its own DC-DC PSU? So you need to use an external PSU brick? Some review mentioned the DB4 case+PSU cost up to about USD500? My target for Qube will be around USD160-180 ?

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I agree. But 5 cm is suepr ok to plug, but think also "I need to find the USB, then I need to lift it or tilt a bit to connect. It's about practical sense. Anyway, I am very interested in this! And of course don't forget to optimize the vented panel with bigger holes this time! ;)

Even Apple for the Trash Can Mac Pro or Corsair for the Corsair one have left simply on the side the connectors! It's called "Design" and is based on people accessibility. ;)
yea, that's an issue with this design. But still thinking how to solve this. Seems like a dilemma, convenience vs aesthetics...

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
... What's the deal with the bottom O/I panel/feet clearance? Is that going to be partially mesh for bottom airflow? Any chance of mounting a 92-120mm fan directly below the CPU cooler, above (horizontally) the I/O shield? Any plans to account for cable channeling somehow?

Cool idea man.
Good luck!
Having double checked the bottom panel measurement, believe we can fit a 92mm fan next to the IO panel area. Will take some photos on the mock up once it's done, I think the design does have that "chimney" ventilation effect that you are thinking about.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017

That's Cubist!
Real cubes have curves! -err no wait. That's not right...

I agree though, I think that keeping the I/O on the bottom and sticking to an equal sided, cubed design is the driving concept for @Nouvolo's case. Changing either of those things would make it a fundamentally different case. No problem with that, but it's his case soooo....

Having double checked the bottom panel measurement, believe we can fit a 92mm fan next to the IO panel area. Will take some photos on the mock up once it's done, I think the design does have that "chimney" ventilation effect that you are thinking about.

Awesome! Can't wait to see some pics.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Not claiming originality, raised feet with cabling at the bottom.
The raised bottom also provides ventilation.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
First prototype, heading to the paint shop ?

Wow. Regardless of my opinion of the Steck (that argument is long gone anyways,) I LOVE how this looks.

Question: It appears you use Sketchup for design. How does that translate to manufacturability? Most Mfr. want STEP files. Or do you just give 2D mechanical drawings?

Anyways, I like how it looks!

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Wow. Regardless of my opinion of the Steck (that argument is long gone anyways,) I LOVE how this looks.

Question: It appears you use Sketchup for design. How does that translate to manufacturability? Most Mfr. want STEP files. Or do you just give 2D mechanical drawings?

Anyways, I like how it looks!

My team has a technician who is more experienced in the manufacturing processes. After I drafted the design in SketchUp, we work together to make any changes needed due to manufacturing limitation. Then he would go and redo it in STEP file.

We have many meetings before we can finalize on the prototype. We also have meetings with the factory to make sure on feasibility on toolings, costs, etc. As you probably know the stamping moulds are expensive, so we try to minimize later adjustments.

We also talk to other accessories suppliers e.g. RGB lights/controllers, clips etc, make sure we can secure the supply before we proceed.

Reactions: Soul_Est

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016
I thought I might just put this out there for ideas? https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=63
Although larger, it will exhaust out the back side. but hold more hard drive. It's also got hidden vents on the bottom and top.
I had one of these cases before and the clips and panels on them are top notch, very nice quality. I would say even better that the Ncase's panel clips.
However I suppose your going for venting out the bottom?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I thought I might just put this out there for ideas? https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=63
Although larger, it will exhaust out the back side. but hold more hard drive. It's also got hidden vents on the bottom and top.
I had one of these cases before and the clips and panels on them are top notch, very nice quality. I would say even better that the Ncase's panel clips.
However I suppose your going for venting out the bottom?
Thanks for your tips ? . Main design theme for Qube is that all 4 sides are identical, connections are positioned at the bottom to make it look nice and clean. Most of the cube(oid) cases out there have connections at the rear ends, but I am consciously trying steer away from that.

Nebula C and most of the others also have something e.g. PSU right above the CPU, which I try to avoid also. I think Qube should allow better ventilation in this respect. Qube prototype now supports 3x 2.5" hdd, will take a closer look once I get it back from the paint shop.

And seems Nebula C is bigger than my current design, by quite a bit.
Nebula C 260x260x305mm vs Qube 235x235x270mm

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
My team has a technician who is more experienced in the manufacturing processes. After I drafted the design in SketchUp, we work together to make any changes needed due to manufacturing limitation. Then he would go and redo it in STEP file.

We have many meetings before we can finalize on the prototype. We also have meetings with the factory to make sure on feasibility on toolings, costs, etc. As you probably know the stamping moulds are expensive, so we try to minimize later adjustments.

We also talk to other accessories suppliers e.g. RGB lights/controllers, clips etc, make sure we can secure the supply before we proceed.

Okay, I see.

What made you decide to go stamping vs. traditional sheet metal bending?

Higher manufacturing volume is nice, but does it save enough to offset the tooling costs?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Coming Soon!

Swap the LED color to green and it could make a great starting point for a Borg Cube PC with tractor beams engaged!

Out of curiosity, have you given any thought to modifying the top bracket (or selling an accessory) to be able to mount a 120/140mm exhaust fan? Based on what I've seen of the fluid dynamics for the Sliger SM series and the Corsair One, creating a negative pressure environment with highly perforated passive intakes aids the GPU cooling considerably.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Out of curiosity, have you given any thought to modifying the top bracket (or selling an accessory) to be able to mount a 120/140mm exhaust fan? Based on what I've seen of the fluid dynamics for the Sliger SM series and the Corsair One, creating a negative pressure environment with highly perforated passive intakes aids the GPU cooling considerably.
Have included mounting for 92mm fan at the bottom (instead of the top). The power button is located in dead center at the top, as current design goes, fan on top will be in the way of other components.
There is also mounting bracket for side fan, i.e. 2 case fans already in this case. I am going to test out the CPU tower coolers this week, hope it can fit a 160mm tall...

AND this case should support AIO liquid cooling (120mm), which should be a rare feature for a "cube" pc. More testing this week to confirm.