Black OSMI rev. 2 build

Vitamin Moto

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
www.youtube.com
The only one I can find in my country is this one, which I'm assuming is the first edition of the case still with the optical drive slot:

I wish I could find the matte version around here...

Where are you from, if I might ask? Just wondering where I could find these first editions.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Where are you from, if I might ask? Just wondering where I could find these first editions.
I've since messaged the store that sells them via facebook and it turns out the picture they had was wrong, they only sell the matte black version of the case. I'm curious about that perforated version now, I wonder if it was only a prototype or if HG Computers did sell it at some point.

leonroy

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2017
HG are pretty accommodating. Could ask them to make you one as a one off. Doubt it'd be cheap though and as @Vitamin Moto said - the thermals would likely suck. That said it'd look pretty epic with some RGB LEDs in there...

Vitamin Moto

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
www.youtube.com
Two things got done in the weekend.

Changed SF450 fan to Noctua - it's amazing how much more quiet it gets even under load. I highly recommend doing this. The Noctua fan is almost identical in starting voltage parameters but it silent at low-medium loads. Comparing two fans, Corsair's fan seems really, really cheap.

Secondly - tried to put same fan on 1070. While 4 pin connection works without a problem, there's no room in OSMI for this configuration. The fan is too thick at 14mm. Even if you remove rubber mounts, you can try to squeeze it in, but it's starts to bend the card when you try to put it all together. Also, being so tightly squeezed between a OSMI's bottom plate and GPU heatsink the fan makes really loud turbulent noise. There needs to be at least 5mm more clearance between the GPU and bottom plate, for this to work, so I put original shroud back and to be honest, upon further testing, GIGABYTE's fan is quite good, at 1000+ RPM very close to Noctua noise level.

For now, this OSMI is done. No more plans... yet :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh wow, well done ! I hope it's a definite improvement overall ! How are the max airflow ratings, are they compareable ?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
but to me it seems, that Noctua cools SF450 better. It get's to 0 RPM mode after gaming quicker, than with stock fan.

The SF450/SF600 don't have a MCU for the fan controller like other high-end Corsair PSUs so take that with a grain of salt. It's probably just the preprogrammed heat/load/fan voltage curve causing the Noctua to shut off earlier since the two fans will have different voltage/RPM curves.

If you're not pushing the PSU hard then it probably won't be a big deal, but just remember that the PSU's reliability/longevity/performance guarantees are made with the stock fan in mind.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
That said, I'd like to trust the Noctua fan to perform adequately under normal usage scenario's.

If you see smoke, pull the plug! :)

Reactions: Vitamin Moto

Vitamin Moto

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
www.youtube.com
@Vitamin Moto how's the build working out?

Any issues or changes to report?
If doing the build again any changes you'd make?

All is well. Only thing I wanted to do is custom PSU cables. But that's about it. I can't think of anything else how to improve on this OSMI build.

If I had to build it again, it probably wouln't be in something so small as OSMI :) Despite all of the oversized fans, in order to keep things quiet, it gets quite toasty in there. And also because OSMI now sits on the table, electrical noises are much more apparent (coil whine etc.). Fractal's Define noise insulated case never had these issues.

Only thing that actually bugs me is GIGABYTE's 1070 mini fan - it makes small grinding noise when it starts from 0 RPM. When in motion - all is well, but after gaming session, when card starts cooling down, because of the lack of airflow, fan goes from 0 RPM to 500 RPM a couple of times until it gets cool enough to stay at 0 RPM, and every time this happens there is a audible grinding sound.

Last edited:

leonroy

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2017
Trying to remove the screws in the base of my case to put the Gigabyte 1070 in. They are tight as hell! Didn't want to strip the head so haven't forced them.
  • Did you find that too?
  • Also isn't the large hole in the bottom front of the case big enough for the Gigabyte to slide in? (mine hasn't arrived yet so haven't had a chance to try).
  • Finally there's this weird cluster of countersunk holes in the front of the case, any idea what those are for?

Vitamin Moto

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
www.youtube.com
Yes, screws were pretty tight, but they are made from quite hard metal, felt really solid (at least on my case). I would be more careful tightening them back up, because the thread is very small.

No, 1070 didn't fit through the holes at the bottom, cooler shroud was too thick (have there been 2mm-3mm extra space - it would have been fine). Also, PCI slot and motherboard itself was in the way. Maybe it is possible to somehow slide in the 1070 first and then the motherboard afterwards, but at the time unscrewing bottom plate seemed like only option.

As we figured out, there have been different revisons of the OSMI, so maybe spaces and clearances may differ slightly.

Dont really understand about the countersunk holes cluster. Have a picture of it?

leonroy

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2017
Have a look at this pic below. On the right side of the pic, about half way down the black sheet metal of the case you can see a cluster of eight holes. Very deliberate arrangement, wonder what they're for...

Reactions: rosinbole