Advice AMD Cards that can be modded to reduce length?

Byte

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jun 19, 2022
Looking at this case, the Osmi Case 3.1 from Spartex, and the maximum GPU length is only 170mm. But I want to game in 1440p, so I need a bigger card. Like, a 6700 XT, at least.

There are two options I can think of:
Deshroud and hope it will fit with a smaller air cooling heatsink
Water block

Wondering if anyone's had any success with this sort of thing. I'd rather not do anything permanent if possible.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
The shortest 6700xt/6750xt that I'm aware of is the MSI Mech at just under 250mm. Even removing the shroud won't help as the board extends the entire length of the card.

Nvidia uses a short PCB for their base models, so it's much easier to find/mod a 3070 to be under 170mm.

Reactions: rfarmer

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Looking at this case, the Osmi Case 3.1 from Spartex, and the maximum GPU length is only 170mm. But I want to game in 1440p, so I need a bigger card. Like, a 6700 XT, at least.

There are two options I can think of:
Deshroud and hope it will fit with a smaller air cooling heatsink
Water block

Wondering if anyone's had any success with this sort of thing. I'd rather not do anything permanent if possible.
well, geizhals as well as pcpartpicker offer the option to filter for a specific length, but like scatterforce already pointed out, its primarly NVidia that got the shorter PCBs, eg. all the PNY RTX 3060 variants (Gainward, PNY, Palit), plus one very similar sized by MSI (called RTX 3060 Aero ITX). And well, the A2000, which is somewhere between the RTX 3050 Ti and RTX 3060.

But if you're willing to mod and rearrange components, you might be able to go with a PCI Riser and cram in eg. a PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT Fighter (224 mm length) up the height of the case. But then, a NVidia RTX 3070 Founders Edition could also fit (242 mm).
Might even work better with a FlexATX PSU.

cu, w0lf.