Cooling Best slim fan

namakeingo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
In the last few weeks, I have been trying to improve the cooling performance of my custom sff without breaking the sound barrier.
My case is a custom polycarbonate case with 70mm in height (the cpu cooler clearance is 49mm)

I'm on a ROG x570-i with a Ryzen 3900x. (Thermal limit set to the default 95°C)
The first cooler I've tried was the Noctua NH-L9a. With the 14mm fan idle was at 75°C and on full stress at 95°C with clock down to 3.3gHz.
With the same cooler, I've also tried a 25mm fan that I had (a really noisy Delta AUB0912VC -4E49) - idle at 58°C and on full stress 94°C with clock down to 3.9gHz. Spoiler alert that was the best result, but that fan peeks at 45DBA on specs (under stress is way more but I did not measure, probably a 55 or more) so not a solution I would like to keep
The cooler I'm currently using is instead the Cryorig C7 G with the Noctua NF-A9x14 (the fan perform the same as the stock, but it is slightly more silent). Idle at 63°C and full stress at 95°C with clock down to 3.7gHz. That is the configuration I'm currently keeping
With this cooler, I don't have enough clearance for a taller fan, so my last test was a bigger fan. I tested the Cryorig C7 G with the Noctua NF-A12x15 and, to my surprise, it was worse. Idle at 70°C and full stress at 95°C with clock down to 3.5gHz.

What other fan configuration could I try? My idea would be to go for either a more powerful 92mmX14mm or a 120mmX15mm. However, I need suggestions on what fans to try cause I cannot seem to find anything promising. I'm willing to compromise on noise, but I would not go above a 36dba on spec.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
In the last few weeks, I have been trying to improve the cooling performance of my custom sff without breaking the sound barrier.
My case is a custom polycarbonate case with 70mm in height (the cpu cooler clearance is 49mm)

The first cooler I've tried was the Noctua NH-L9a. With the 14mm fan idle was at 75°C and on full stress at 95°C with clock down to 3.3gHz.
With the same cooler, I've also tried a 25mm fan that I had (a really noisy Delta AUB0912VC -4E49) - idle at 58°C and on full stress 94°C with clock down to 3.9gHz. Spoiler alert that was the best result, but that fan peeks at 45DBA on specs (under stress is way more but I did not measure, probably a 55 or more) so not a solution I would like to keep
The cooler I'm currently using is instead the Cryorig C7 G with the Noctua NF-A9x14 (the fan perform the same as the stock, but it is slightly more silent). Idle at 63°C and full stress at 95°C with clock down to 3.7gHz. That is the configuration I'm currently keeping
With this cooler, I don't have enough clearance for a taller fan, so my last test was a bigger fan. I tested the Cryorig C7 G with the Noctua NF-A12x15 and, to my surprise, it was worse. Idle at 70°C and full stress at 95°C with clock down to 3.5gHz.

What other fan configuration could I try? My idea would be to go for either a more powerful 92mmX14mm or a 120mmX15mm. However, I need suggestions on what fans to try cause I cannot seem to find anything promising. I'm willing to compromise on noise, but I would not go above a 36dba on spec.

i have discussed it here.

note that you have to follow all steps, for it to work properly : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...sized-gaming-pc-case.7106/page-71#post-211648

namakeingo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
I don't see how what you are saying is relevant. I'm already using a Cryorig C7 G with the Noctua NF-A9x14 and I have an intake filter right above the fan, so the air is coming from the outside of the case (with or without the cover the difference in cooling is close to none, full stress at 95°C with clock down to 3.8gHz )

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I don't see how what you are saying is relevant. I'm already using a Cryorig C7 G with the Noctua NF-A9x14 and I have an intake filter right above the fan, so the air is coming from the outside of the case (with or without the cover the difference in cooling is close to none, full stress at 95°C with clock down to 3.8gHz )

sorry.

since you have no photos, i had no idea what your cover was.

namakeingo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
You are right, let me fix that.
Here are some pictures

p.s. my current setup is more of a testing case, I have a newer version already planned

namakeingo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
unfortunately, I have a 40mm height ram (Crucial Ballistix 3600 32gb) that I have recently upgraded to, so I don't plan on changing it.
How about what I've asked, do you have any suggestion for an alternative to the NF-A9x14 or the NF-A12x15 that is more powerful but still not too noisy?

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
unfortunately, I have a 40mm height ram (Crucial Ballistix 3600 32gb) that I have recently upgraded to, so I don't plan on changing it.
How about what I've asked, do you have any suggestion for an alternative to the NF-A9x14 or the NF-A12x15 that is more powerful but still not too noisy?

no.

because your fan is not the problem.

there is no cooler under 70mm that's " tested " ,which will cool a 95W TDP or higher CPU, other than the two i've mentioned.

choices are a C7 copper or C7 Graphene-copper, with Noctua fan, or a BlackRidge cooler, with VLP Ram.

that said, if you want something untested, you can try :

namakeingo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020

I appreciate the offer but that is not even available in my country.

no.

because your fan is not the problem.

there is no cooler under 70mm that's " tested " ,which will cool a 95W TDP or higher CPU, other than the two i've mentioned.

choices are a C7 copper or -copper, with Noctua fan, or a BlackRidge cooler, with VLP Ram.

I do agree that a better cooler does impact more than a better fan (that is why I have changed from a NH-L9a to a C7 Graphene). However, more airflow through the fins does mean more performance (you can even see it in my testing).
C7 Graphene with the NF-A9x14 does keep my CPU under control, it is just not boosting to its max. A more powerful fan would make my setup noisier under stress, but it will improve performance.

The Noctua NF-A12x15 did worse than a NF-A9x14 probably because it is only 1800 rpm. I think a 120mmX15mm fan around 2500rmp would definitely improve performance without being too noisy, but I cannot find any

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020

I have been looking at this same issue. I noted that the Noctua A12x15mm has a low MM H2O of 1.53. I do not think this fan can exert enough pressure against the internals of the case. In my build I may have enough room to try the A12x25 that has a MM H2O) of 2.34. Good luck.