SFF.Network ASRock Z270M-STX MXM Micro-STX Motherboard Pictured

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
I do care about pricing...
From what I've read MSI Trident barebone is $599 and that includes a GTX 1060 (probably at 3GB?). So maybe we can expect similar pricing, or maybe more expensive because of the MXM card... after all, Deskmini is more miniaturist vs MSI's 4.72liters

Reactions: janas19

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
Hello All

let me show you something...exciting! and let me show you something...exciting! http: //image.prntscr.com/image/c37b5c152eb94a50b524e74327364ddb.png

May I know what kind of price range are acceptable?
I can understand this is a very sensitive question, so I am glad to get feedback from you - Small Factor Enthusiast.
In order to simplify and prevent component pricing compete, that my question will focus in total cost of system build.
Of course, no price gap will be excellent! But you know...this kind of answer doesn't make sense :D
By the way, this is just for reference...we can't promise anything about price here.

Some thing like that:

If you want to build a micro-STX system, how's acceptable price gap compare to the similar(same) hardware configuration in mini ITX system. 5%? 10%? 50%? or...anything else.

How about specific platform with GTX 1060 MXM? - 5%? 10%? or...

Reactions: Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Hello All

let me show you something...exciting! and let me show you something...exciting! http: //image.prntscr.com/image/c37b5c152eb94a50b524e74327364ddb.png

I can understand this is a very sensitive question, so I am glad to get feedback from you - Small Factor Enthusiast.
In order to simplify and prevent component pricing compete, that my question will focus in total cost of system build.
Of course, no price gap will be excellent! But you know...this kind of answer doesn't make sense :D
By the way, this is just for reference...we can't promise anything about price here.

Some thing like that:
That's a tricky one to answer, there is such a huge variance in possible builds.

I'd expect the price for a 'pre built' kit (i.e. everything but the CPU, RAM & SSD) to be roughly analogous to an all-up 'high end' ITX build, e.g. an NFC S4 with 300W HD-Plex DC-DC, 1070mini, Z270 motherboard, and 330W Dell AC-DC brick.
The absolute cost of the MXM card will be higher than a commodity ITX GPU, but the logistics savings will be pretty huge (not havering to cross-ship/reship everything separately, skipping most reseller/retailer markups, etc) as will be economy-of-scale savings for the case.

NICE!

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
That's a tricky one to answer, there is such a huge variance in possible builds.

I'd expect the price for a 'pre built' kit (i.e. everything but the CPU, RAM & SSD) to be roughly analogous to an all-up 'high end' ITX build, e.g. an NFC S4 with 300W HD-Plex DC-DC, 1070mini, Z270 motherboard, and 330W Dell AC-DC brick.
The absolute cost of the MXM card will be higher than a commodity ITX GPU, but the logistics savings will be pretty huge (not havering to cross-ship/reship everything separately, skipping most reseller/retailer markups, etc) as will be economy-of-scale savings for the case.

NICE!
I think they were asking what % premium would you be prepared to pay for a tiny STX full system build over your typical Mini-ITX full system build.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
I can see it being very successful if it's about 10~20% more expensive than ITX, more than that would make it a much more niche product that wouldn't have many buyers.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It also depends how good the implementation is. A manufacturer may have something unique, if it's loud and flimsy, people will pay accordingly.
What I'm saying is: decent quality case, good quality cooling.

I think between 10 and 20% above "market" price for comparable components is a good ceiling.
So Z270M-ITX, decent ITX-sized GTX 1060, Gold SFX PSU, decent mITX case would cost me about € 500-600 and I'd happily pay € 600-700 for that package.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Right now, MXM pricing is almost 100% premium over desktop GPU pricing, so anything less than that...
And I'd expect this board to be at the same premium as a high-end board (assuming 170/270 chipset), so it's be nice if it was less than $250.

At the same time, I'm almost certain the MSI Vortex and Zotac's EN/SN series SFF gaming rigs would sell better if it wasn't for their very high premium. So maybe just price them out by a bit?

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Were I In the market right now, I'd be willing to go up to about 40% premium for the compactness, but I expect I'm on the high side, and maybe a 20% premium would be more in line with what people would be willing to spring for in general.

I think availability of GFX card upgrades when the whole system is released is probably also important, not that they'd probably sell much initially as people would just buy what they want as the combo but to reassure people about availability in the future.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think the reason MXM has a 100% price premium is because there aren't official resellers which AsRock would need to become to even get this product out the door. The only place you can get 10XX MXM cards right now is through price gouging assholes on eBay. Along the same lines, the price of the LP53 on eBay is triple the wholesale cost and it's the same kind of sellers.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Understanding the premium costs of an MXM graphics card, I would be willing to 30% on the 1070 and 25% on the 1060. The addition of a 1070 is really exciting news, nicely done!

After conversing with you to great lengths at CES, I was stunned by the product.

Not just in size but also in heat dissipation as well as noise. The sheer fact that it uses a z270 and a 7700k in something so incredibly small, smaller than anything we could build with off-the-shelf components, I understand that a premium cost will be associated with the product. I hope to see the MXM format gain steam with the introduction of this product and eventually the costs will come down as a results.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Understanding the premium costs of an MXM graphics card, I would be willing to 30% on the 1070 and 25% on the 1060. The addition of a 1070 is really exciting news, nicely done!

After conversing with you to great lengths at CES, I was stunned by the product.

Not just in size but also in heat dissipation as well as noise. The sheer fact that it uses a z270 and a 7700k in something so incredibly small, smaller than anything we could build with off-the-shelf components, I understand that a premium cost will be associated with the product. I hope to see the MXM format gain steam with the introduction of this product and eventually the costs will come down as a results.

1 word - Watercooling. Zotac already has a watercooled mini-PC with an MXM 980/1080 and an i7. I've also got a pair of waterblocks from my Voodoo2 PC which will fit current-gen MXM cards (even though it was designed for a 9800 GS!!)

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I would expect the board to be in line cost wise with a more premium ITX board like the Fata1ty. As far as MXM card go and in light of the recent price cuts, I would like to see the 1080 with 11Gbps at 599 USD, 1070 at 479 USD and the 1060 at maybe 359 USD. I believe this is a 20% or so premium on each card.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Because it is Socket 1151 it will be compatible with all aftermarket watercooling solutions for the CPU. I see mounting to the MXM card being kind of challenging as you may not want to load extra weight on the MXM slot as it is much slighter than a PCIe 16x slot

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Hello All

Some thing like that:

ASRock System, is it possible for you to also offer a GTX 1050/1050 Ti option for MXM for the budget market?

Reactions: Ceros_X