SFF.Network ASRock Z270M-STX MXM Micro-STX Motherboard Pictured

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Sure the Deskmini GTX at this point is vaporware yet and we have no idea how much it will cost when it appears. Yes, I would love one, I would even love a Gigabyte Gaming BRIX with an 1050 Ti, a Magnus EN1050Ti or whatever small PC with an 1050ti but there are none yet.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
My money is on two different boards, one H110 and the other Z270. I think that's most likely considering the screenshots and product info released.

Nox

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
I am very curious about pricing and thermal/noise performance. Asus Vivo PC X is getting released in March and has a GTX 1060 onboard+ seems to have proper cooling+ a bunch of USB ports but lacks a desktop CPU. MSI has Trident 3 which is quite pricey but is also compact. Gigabyte has some BRIX products by itself.
Deskmini 110 was priced really well considering that for that money you get a case + MB + PSU. So, if Deskmini GTX would be the price of Deskmini 110+MXM card price, what could we expect? How expensive is a MXM GPU?

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Does anyone know the price/availability of an MXM 1060? This form factor is intriguing, but MXM GPUs are a bit of an unknown variable.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
They go for around $630-$660 (source).

N17PG1 (also labelled N17P-G1) - GTX 1050ti 4GB
N17EG1 (also labelled N17E-G1)- GTX 1060 6GB

The smaller, more efficient, more industrial components like this cost considerably more than their desktop counterparts. Thankfully they mentioned that a production case would (should?) include the MXMs "desktop" heatsink.

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
In this case if we add an at least extra 150 for the barebone... Well having it at 800$ plus SSD + ram+cpu another 400 at least... It may be compact but at 1200$ to me is quite expensive.

I wonder why nobody makes a 1050ti laptop but as a PC, without display and keyboard. Slim and performant...

Reactions: janas19

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Consumer prices for MXM modulesa re inflated, and availability curtailed, by them not being available directly to consumers. The ones you see on the market are invariable those 'shucked' from high-end laptops.Anyone selling one is going to charge as high as they can to recoup the cost of the rest of the laptop, and so few are selling that buyers are willing to pay those high prices.
It's conceivable that a reasonably prices mini-STX bundle could flood the market with MXM modules and drop the average price if the overhead of the case & motherboard is less than that of a laptop. If ASRock are willing to act as resellers for MXM modules in addition to bundling them, the price would be pushed down even further, depending on how fast production of MXM modules can ramp up to meet an increased demand. While the raw number of mini-STX boards would be less than the number of MXM enabled laptops, they would likely dwarf the number of laptops that can actually handle changes in MXM module.

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
...If ASRock are willing to act as resellers for MXM modules in addition to bundling them, the price would be pushed down even further, depending on how fast production of MXM modules can ramp up to meet an increased demand. While the raw number of mini-STX boards would be less than the number of MXM enabled laptops, they would likely dwarf the number of laptops that can actually handle changes in MXM module.

ASRock has to do something or almost no one will buy their STX MXM unit. It will be a flop. There's literally only a handful of people who will pay $600 for a 1060 MXM. It's just absurd.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
As mentioned previously, virtually all of the retailers selling these cards are gouging a market that is obviously very supply starved. Considering the purchase quantity that AsRock would be looking at as well as the internal capacity to make said cards themselves, I'm sure they can and will bring the price of their MXM cards down drastically.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
ASRock already mentioned it plans on bringing these barebones systems out with an included MXM module, possibly different SKUs for the ones with and the ones without. And nothing should be keeping them from also selling these seperately.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
ASRock has to do something or almost no one will buy their STX MXM unit. It will be a flop. There's literally only a handful of people who will pay $600 for a 1060 MXM. It's just absurd.
Even if ASRock do not sell MXM modules separately, they can still acquire the modules at direct sale prices. Selling them bundled merely puts them in the same position as other super-compact discrete-GPU devices like the Zotac Magnus series, or Gigabyte Brix Gaming/Pro. Even without upgradabiity those seem to sell well enough to sustain multiple models and revisions.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
For the record, the H110 version of the Micro STX is a project out of the industrial PC branch of AsRock and not a replacement for the Z270. Just so everyone can rest easy knowing we're still getting the Z270 version we saw at CES.

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
Thank you for sharing.
It remains to see the price... H110 would have been cheaper I suppose, I am not sure why use a Z chipset when overclocking is not really possible because of the small PSU not to mention the generated heat in such a small enclosure....

@Kmpkt Did you get any hints on a possible release date?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Retail release is likely at least a couple of months away from what I am hearing. Samples may be out sooner which may get us a closer look at the board before retail hits (which would be awesome).

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
It remains to see the price... H110 would have been cheaper I suppose, I am not sure why use a Z chipset when overclocking is not really possible because of the small PSU not to mention the generated heat in such a small enclosure....

@alinescoo

Hmm, due to PCIe lanes will limits I/O ports as USB, M.2, WLAN and any others. So Z270 can support up to 3 M.2 SSD slots, but H110 only one. Another reason, Z270 chipset supports Intel Optane technology as well.