SFF.Network ASRock Z270M-STX MXM Micro-STX Motherboard Pictured

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It seems this 1060 version @Kmpkt sent me the GPU sits perfectly level. The audio ports are moved toward the very front of the board.

Yeah the 1060 is 105mm while the 1070 is 113mm. As such it contacts the rear portion of both the Audio_1 and USB ports. Removing both of these would allow for a perfect fit of the higher end cards and remove the need for the 2.6mm spacer kit shipped with the 1070 and 1080 models of the unit.

@Kmpkt What does it use for an attachment? I was going to forget USB_1 and AUDIO1 all together, I've got AUDIO2 and USB_8 out front.

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question. Can you please clarify?

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Okay. So the deskmini has two plugs in front of the GPU for USB ports. Using these shouldn't impede a flat fit of the GTX 1070/1080. One ships with the case and you can buy a second here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...6989002&cm_re=deskmini-_-56-989-002-_-Product

My idea would be to have two of these to handle front panel USB and provide a convenient replacement for the audio jack I'd be pulling off the motherboard to allow for a flat fit of the GPU. The way I see it, you'd be losing an audio jack and a USB port, but gaining two USB ports. Also worth mentioning is that the board is specced for one mic jack and one headphone+mic jack. I'm not sure which the lower one is at this point, but to be honest it might not even be worth worrying about if it is the mic only jack.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
@Kmpkt those are standard headers - You can buy them exactly like that as a universal part on Ebay. The front audio (with drivers) can be configured to anything you'd like, either port can be mic/headphones.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Good to know about the audio jack. Makes it a lot less concerning to pinch one off.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Minor update for folks - The 970m (with a custom firmware from Zotac, it's a "Nvidia GTX 960") works perfectly fine in the B250M-STX.

Reactions: Phuncz

drunker

Trash Compacter
Apr 25, 2017
The mxm geforce cards are generally not very good value. There are many quadro mxm cards out there selling at the same price or lower than full size pcie cards. If your need quadro cards for functions such as 10 bit colors etc. This thing would be super cool.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Maybe trying to push sales towards the 1080? The 1060 at either 100 off or with the 155 dollar RAM kit was kind of a steal IMO.

archenroot

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 11, 2017
I am curious if Intel Xeon processors will be supported in this little beast, can someone confirm? As per some info from this thread it is stated that such chipset cannot work with Xeon in general, so question is: would it be enough to create customized BIOS?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Deskmini 1050 likely won't be a thing, especially with new APUs on the horizon that will provide adequate enough performance to compete with such a variant of the Deskmini. You can buy an aftermarket 1050 MXM board from Aetina if there is a specific reason the 1060 doesn't suit you (power draw?).

https://www.aetina.com.tw/products-detail.php?i=185

As far as the Z270 variant of the board, I wouldn't count on it being released to the public in the foreseeable future as the B250 chipset is more than adequate for the hardware on this platform at this time.