Discussion ASRock X600-MSTX Extreme?

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Hello fellow SFF enthusiasts,
I've been daydreaming perhaps a little too much lately and I thought how awesome it would be to have an "ASRock X600-MSTX Extreme", basically an AM5 mini-STX board with a full-size PCIe x16 (mechanically and electrically), native 12V support or standard ATX 24 pin power connector as well as a more capable power delivery/VRMs.
Now there's obviously a few difficulties with that: space constraints, PCIe lanes, power delivery, total addressable market.
According to my calculations the X600 deskmini uses 18 of the 24 available PCIe lanes of the bare AM5 IO die (couldn't verify that). So to get an x16 slot other interfaces would have to "be sacrificed".
Such as:
-SATA
-some USB ports
-M.2 downgrade 5.0 -> 4.0/3.0
-onboard sound "card"
-Wi-Fi aka M.2 E-key

My theory is that if we find like 1k guaranteed buyers ASRock might make this dream a reality. Of course with low numbers comes a big price premium.

therefore I've now got a few questions for you:
have I just gone insane to think there's any realistic chance of this happening?
which onboard connectivity would you be willing to sacrifice?
would you be interested in buying such a board and for up to what price?
are there other features you would like to see on this fantasy board?

just leave any thoughts that pop up in your mind, thanks :)
-Gideon

Reactions: protocolsix

protocolsix

Caliper Novice
Dec 24, 2022
I’d totally buy this.

In terms of I/O:
  • Totally useless to me: SATA, onboard audio, VGA
  • Probably don’t need: Ethernet
  • Probably want: M.2 Wi-Fi
It's probably too early in adoption cycle, but CAMM2 memory might allow for more room and layout flexibility.

12v-19v input flexibility would be nice for either external PSU or brickless builds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gidilo

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
I’d totally buy this.

In terms of I/O:
  • Totally useless to me: SATA, onboard audio, VGA
  • Probably don’t need: Ethernet
  • Probably want: M.2 Wi-Fi
It's probably too early in adoption cycle, but CAMM2 memory might allow for more room and layout flexibility.

12v-19v input flexibility would be nice for either external PSU or brickless builds.
I love the idea of CAMM2 but I think it requires too much area for this type of board.
To me ethernet is the preferred internet connection method

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
This has already been done by Asrock: https://parcelup.com/shop/item.php?id=774433516114#5300434565193 using STX board
You just can't buy the board separately in ITX https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X600TM-ITX/index.asp
I tried no stock although listed as 200 items available, SPECIAL ORDER HIGH MINIMUMS
just missing the video slot, you put a slot like you want on a small board like this the power draw would be way too high
The product in the first link you sent doesn't use mini stx according to the product images.
It being itx kinda misses the point. I doubt power draw would be the issue because technically the 2 sata slots on the deskmini are allowed to pull 36W each as per specifications and the board already has a "high power mode" in the bios described as "180W+"

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Thin ITX not ITX. on the separate board
The product in the first link you sent doesn't use mini stx according to the product images.

Our first look at the X600M-STX board itself. Carrying along an identical layout from the previous generation, the X600M-STX should have compatibility with some of the smaller after market cases of the previous generations.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Is there any stx board like this (so 150x150mm in size) in existence that actually have a pcie slot for a max 128mbit gpu?

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
That's a shame. There is a single fan 4060 model that's 149mm long and with a board like that, one could make... something like a Velka 2.

Reactions: Gidilo