Log BAOCASE Mini | 2.77L 7800X3D & 4060Ti & internal PSU(with X600-STX 12v input MOD)

Marmotta

Cable Smoosher
Apr 28, 2019
Was thinking of a similar build myself and had a few questions regarding your setup:

- how do you go about not powering the GPU until the motherboard is powered on? Was going to build a relay for it, but but if there's a simpler way of doing it I'd love to know
- would it be possible to remove the existing SMD resistor and replace it with a different value one instead of having to piggyback the 100K resistor on top of it? Thanks

Last edited:

sandyware

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2024
Was thinking of a similar build myself and had a few questions regarding your setup:

- how do you go about not powering the GPU until the motherboard is powered on? Was going to build a relay for it, but but if there's a simpler way of doing it I'd love to know
- would it be possible to remove the existing SMD resistor and replace it with a different value one instead of having to piggyback the 100K resistor on top of it? Thanks
1.The GPU is continuously powered on but remains turned off until the motherboard boots up and provides 3.3V voltage, which is the first step of GPU power up sequence.
2.Replace it with 27K.

LoserCard

Chassis Packer
Mar 22, 2019
Did you need any special settings to run the 7800X3D? Manufacturer specs state this only supports 65W CPUs. Does the bios just automatically have hard limits for the PPT? You seem to be operating just fine.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

1.The GPU is continuously powered on but remains turned off until the motherboard boots up and provides 3.3V voltage, which is the first step of GPU power up sequence.

indeed, the GPU itself will only be active if it recieves a signal from the motherboard... but: some manufacturers hook the fans (and RGB stuff) directly to the 12V rail... for those graphic cards, the fan and RGB will stay always on as long as they get 12V input from the riser/8PIN connector. so it depends on the specific graphics card model if you can get away with this easy solution ;)

Reactions: Curiosity and BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Could you share a photo of how you soldered or wired the internal PSU to the back of the board, or is it identical to the soldering on the x300 mods?
I'm in the process of adding an internal 12V PSU on a X300 and debating whether to remove the DC input connector and solder wires to the mobo or do as @sandyware did.
Can you please tell us more about the X300 mods you are referring to?

Actually, it's a cable to the original DC input of the motherboard.
Seems like the easiest/quickest way to do it. Or are there any other reasons that made you choose it?

Hewligan

Chassis Packer
Dec 27, 2021
I did the destructive mod on the x300. Desoldered the power jack and soldered wires for an internal PSU. It worked, but i wish i had gone down the easier route of keeping the DC jack in place as i later wanted to revert the board and couldn’t. There are videos on the NFC youtube channel that show you their soldering mods on the X300 boards.

Reactions: BaK and Curiosity

sandyware

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2024
Did you need any special settings to run the 7800X3D? Manufacturer specs state this only supports 65W CPUs. Does the bios just automatically have hard limits for the PPT? You seem to be operating just fine.
No need any settings, it just runs good. In benchmark software, it perform like a 7800X3D in normal desktop motherboard.

sandyware

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2024
indeed, the GPU itself will only be active if it recieves a signal from the motherboard... but: some manufacturers hook the fans (and RGB stuff) directly to the 12V rail... for those graphic cards, the fan and RGB will stay always on as long as they get 12V input from the riser/8PIN connector. so it depends on the specific graphics card model if you can get away with this easy solution ;)
Sure.For example, the GTX1660super reference design hook the fan to 12V. But in most cases, there is no such design. Some mainstream GPUs I tested, GTX1050Ti, GTX750Ti, RTX4060, RTX4060Ti, RX6500XT, RX6600 are all normal in continuous 12V input.

sandyware

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2024
I'm in the process of adding an internal 12V PSU on a X300 and debating whether to remove the DC input connector and solder wires to the mobo or do as @sandyware did.
Can you please tell us more about the X300 mods you are referring to?

Seems like the easiest/quickest way to do it. Or are there any other reasons that made you choose it?
Because I need to sell it to other people, and they needs to be able to use it right out of the box. So no additional modifications are considered.

Reactions: BaK

protocolsix

Caliper Novice
Dec 24, 2022
What is the performance loss from using GPU in M.2 slot? Would there be any improvement if the Gen5 M.2 slot was used instead of Gen4?

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
First of all, awesome build!
I've got a question regarding the 12V resistor mod: are there any side effects to doing this?
Like increased thermal output of the mainboard power delivery (aka lower efficiency), or decreased lifespan of the motherboard (components)

itchybun

Case Bender
New User
Jun 10, 2024
Wow!

Stupid question: I care barely cool a Ryzen 7700 non-X (65W TDP) with the same cooler, but you use a 7800x3d (120W TDP). Makes me wonder if there's something fundamental in setting up things that I'm missing or doing wrong.

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Wow!

Stupid question: I care barely cool a Ryzen 7700 non-X (65W TDP) with the same cooler, but you use a 7800x3d (120W TDP). Makes me wonder if there's something fundamental in setting up things that I'm missing or doing wrong.
There's a lot you can tweak in bios settings. First of all undervolting is basically a must for SFF. PBO should be turned off or have a hard power limit. But the Ryzen chips are very efficient which makes it a little easier to cool.
Btw the 7800X3D is 88W officially

itchybun

Case Bender
New User
Jun 10, 2024
There's a lot you can tweak in bios settings. First of all undervolting is basically a must for SFF. PBO should be turned off or have a hard power limit. But the Ryzen chips are very efficient which makes it a little easier to cool.
Btw the 7800X3D is 88W officially
Thanks for the quick response!

I did use the curve optimizer (-10 most cores, -5 favorite cores), and my CPU runs right up to the stock PPT of 88W at 92c.

I thought the 7800x3d was specced at 120W TDP https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/desktops/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d.html ... but how the voltage / wattage translate to heat confuses me a bit tbh, that's why I ask.

But anyways, I just noticed your 10min CB23 test numbers, 76W at 17773 points and 89c is in line with my results. So, regardless of the paper spec, it's not like your cooler manages 120W or something.

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Thanks for the quick response!

I did use the curve optimizer (-10 most cores, -5 favorite cores), and my CPU runs right up to the stock PPT of 88W at 92c.

I thought the 7800x3d was specced at 120W TDP https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/desktops/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d.html ... but how the voltage / wattage translate to heat confuses me a bit tbh, that's why I ask.

But anyways, I just noticed your 10min CB23 test numbers, 76W at 17773 points and 89c is in line with my results. So, regardless of the paper spec, it's not like your cooler manages 120W or something.
Note that you're not looking at my build 😅(though I also run the 7800X3D). The 120W given by AMD is much higher than what you actually see in real world application