Motherboard ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac and AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

greyhamism

Caliper Novice
Sep 16, 2017
Take this with a grain of salt as i found it on a reddit thread (located here if you want to read in full : https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7hqqjj/agesa_1072_whats_new/ )

" The CPU support design and memory management were nearly completely rewritten. The result, for most, should be greater stability, more memory compatibility, no more cold boot bugs, and a few extra bits of configuration.

The biggest common bug is that P2 (idle clocks) seems to become unavailable - even when doing P-state overclocking. This is a pretty minor issue, IMHO, that is likely to be patched quickly (ish).

Some people have experienced no improvements - or even regressions in stability, but that's to be expected with a major reworking. "

Thought this might help shed some light on recent bios updates and CPU speed issues. I for one will probably put up with the current bugged low power clocks and wait for the patched version of this new AGESA, being 1.0.7.3~ish or somthing along those lines.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Take this with a grain of salt as i found it on a reddit thread (located here if you want to read in full : https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7hqqjj/agesa_1072_whats_new/ )

" The CPU support design and memory management were nearly completely rewritten. The result, for most, should be greater stability, more memory compatibility, no more cold boot bugs, and a few extra bits of configuration.

The biggest common bug is that P2 (idle clocks) seems to become unavailable - even when doing P-state overclocking. This is a pretty minor issue, IMHO, that is likely to be patched quickly (ish).

Some people have experienced no improvements - or even regressions in stability, but that's to be expected with a major reworking. "

Thought this might help shed some light on recent bios updates and CPU speed issues. I for one will probably put up with the current bugged low power clocks and wait for the patched version of this new AGESA, being 1.0.7.3~ish or somthing along those lines.
Well, for a standard user like me, seems there's no visible performance improvement with the latest BIOS update. My Corsair Vengeance RGB rated at 3000 MHz, only runs stable at 2900ish MHz. Still can't boot to Windows without increasing the voltage. As much I don't like my first ever AMD based PC, I'm still sticking to my build. Intel needs a bit of prodding after the last decade basically offering a warmed up product year after year.

greyhamism

Caliper Novice
Sep 16, 2017
Well, for a standard user like me, seems there's no visible performance improvement with the latest BIOS update. My Corsair Vengeance RGB rated at 3000 MHz, only runs stable at 2900ish MHz. Still can't boot to Windows without increasing the voltage. As much I don't like my first ever AMD based PC, I'm still sticking to my build. Intel needs a bit of prodding after the last decade basically offering a warmed up product year after year.

Like wise. I'm running stock CPU clocks for a 1700 non X, and my RAM (GSkill Flare X) does 3200 on both 3.10 and 3.40 out of the box at C14 via XMP. My only real issue (as outlined has been the loss of an "idle" CPU state.

Never had any of these sort of issues on my old X79 based system but then that thing used to suck power like now tomorrow. So with comparable single thread and superior multi-threaded performance at half the TDP (plus all the other platform features like DDR4 and native NVME) im more than happy to put up with a few hiccups.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Like wise. I'm running stock CPU clocks for a 1700 non X, and my RAM (GSkill Flare X) does 3200 on both 3.10 and 3.40 out of the box at C14 via XMP. My only real issue (as outlined has been the loss of an "idle" CPU state.

Never had any of these sort of issues on my old X79 based system but then that thing used to suck power like now tomorrow. So with comparable single thread and superior multi-threaded performance at half the TDP (plus all the other platform features like DDR4 and native NVME) im more than happy to put up with a few hiccups.
I come from 4790K, great processor, even until today I believe. Was thinking to upgrade to Coffeelake, but thoroughly appalled by the shortage, having no choice but to buy CPU+mobo bundle with no ITX, and some rumors stating that the Coffeelake-S or whatever the 8 core variant will need another new motherboard.

Anywho. I just noticed that my PC idle drops 2 watts to 68, from 70 at the lowest before BIOS update. I'm very fickle about power consumption, so I noticed this is a slight improvement. Does BIOS updates on AMD gives overtime benefits? Sorry with my stupid question, my first ever AMD build of 20 years computer ownership, and between having to tinker with BIOS again, also having to participate what basically beta OS to rectify some issues, kind of throw me out of my personal computer comfort zone.

greyhamism

Caliper Novice
Sep 16, 2017
Well, this is quite an update... Asrock just pulled the 4.20 update from the BIOS update page. Seems like it's quite an issue, I hope it won't have adverse effect for standard users like me.

There are stories of other Board Manufactures pulling similar BIOS updates, with some horror stories of bricked boards. But id say anyone one with the pulled update thats had no major issues till now should be fine, and i spose if you're really worried you could return to the last known "good" bios which seems to be 3.10.

As much as Ryzen is a completely fresh architecture and platform, it been out for long enough that these sort of "early adopter" style issues should have been ironed out a while back.

Reactions: Biowarejak

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
I'm having issues with my Samsung 960 Evo (NVMe)

- I have windows 10 loaded on an 960 Evo (NVMe) and a different 840 Evo (sata). Each drive was the only drive connected to the machine when it was loaded with Windows 10. Normally, using the boot menu (f11), I can pick which drive I want to Boot on startup. Primary boot is set to the 960 Evo. I'm working on moving files and getting everything installed on the 960 Evo, so I boot to the 840 Evo to grab some files. When I restart to the 960, it blue screens 'Inaccessible Boot Device'. Unplugged the 840, same error.

Reloaded the 960 Evo with a fresh install of 10 and everything worked fine. Drivers loaded and I was working on programs. Plugged the 840 in to grab some files and ran into the same thing a 2nd time.

My end goal is to have the 960 Evo as boot and wipe the 840 for use as a scratch drive.

NVMe and Sata just don't play well together? Anyone run into anything like this?

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015

- I have windows 10 loaded on an 960 Evo (NVMe) and a different 840 Evo (sata). Each drive was the only drive connected to the machine when it was loaded with Windows 10. Normally, using the boot menu (f11), I can pick which drive I want to Boot on startup. Primary boot is set to the 960 Evo. I'm working on moving files and getting everything installed on the 960 Evo, so I boot to the 840 Evo to grab some files. When I restart to the 960, it blue screens 'Inaccessible Boot Device'. Unplugged the 840, same error.

Reloaded the 960 Evo with a fresh install of 10 and everything worked fine. Drivers loaded and I was working on programs. Plugged the 840 in to grab some files and ran into the same thing a 2nd time.

My end goal is to have the 960 Evo as boot and wipe the 840 for use as a scratch drive.

NVMe and Sata just don't play well together? Anyone run into anything like this?

No, all is fine here, Toshiba m.2 SSD and two Crucial SSD's on SATA are all running just fine... This is on an Asrock AB350 itx.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com

Did you use the old 840 EVO as Windows boot drive before? My storage configuration is similar to you, Corsair MP500 (NVME) as WIndows boot drive, with 2x SSD and 2x HDD.

I didn't encounter inaccessible boot device issue, but my Windows 10 wrongly acknowledge the recovery drive because previously I used my other SSD as the previous boot drive before changing to the MP500. I'd suggest you use an external 2,5" enclosure to extract the files, and then do a full wipe with third party partition manager.

Reactions: ChinStrap

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I have Samsung 960 EVO M.2 as bot and 250GB Samsung Evo 850 256GB as second drive with also 500GB Firecuda hybrid as storage........and no issues at all.
I think (?) The BIOS setting needed for the M.2 to be a boot preclude the SATA device from being boot too.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
...I'd suggest you use an external 2,5" enclosure to extract the files...

This is what I ended up doing. Well, I used a Sata to USB 3 cable. It must be something with NVMe Vs. Sata. I've never had this issue before, bouncing between drives @ boot. The only difference this time is NVMe.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
This is what I ended up doing. Well, I used a Sata to USB 3 cable. It must be something with NVMe Vs. Sata. I've never had this issue before, bouncing between drives @ boot. The only difference this time is NVMe.
Probably similar situation when SATA was introduced during IDE heyday. I still remember the difficulty of tinkering with the BIOS to make some HDD works.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Just thought: Some set ups/motherboards have an" either-or......" so that if you have NVME then it takes over say SATA port 1, so just wondering if there is a chance you have both trying to use the same connection?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
if you have NVME then it takes over say SATA port 1, so just wondering if there is a chance you have both trying to use the same connection?

they're usually switches. when there's a SATA-based M.2 stick occupying a "shared" socket, the PCH will route the connection from one SATA port to the affected M.2 socket.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Out of curiosity I ran Crystal info on my Samsung 840 SSD, on an ASrock H97m-itx-ac.( My G3258 box)
Cannot fathom out how to get a screenshot like you did, but top figures as per your chart are:
Read 3204.5............Write 4238,6
544.2 738.1
829.2 677.2
154.8 287.1
SSD about 3 years old and in daily ( 12+hours) use

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Just printscreen (keyboard) and cut down in mspaint, for the screen shot. I moved it to the lower right hand corner so I had the time/date listing.

Samsung 840 will have around 500MB/s sequential, it looks like you have 'Rapid' mode enabled via samsung control panel.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Pro-tip: ALT + PrintScreen copies just the active window to memory :)
Also the Snipping Tool is useful for taking screenshots. This is all for the Windows platform.
Hosting images on imgur.com is recommended.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Thanks........I always forgget about PrintScreen......I use the app in Firefox for saving screens..which of course did not work in this case because it is not a browser page on CrystalDisk results.
And yes, Rapid mode enabled..... just a ram cache really but I can spare that with 16GB anyway....

AV-Gurus

Caliper Novice
Nov 13, 2017
av-gurus.blogspot.hr
Do you guys think that Asrock will publish new BIOS because of this Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities?

I have install updates from Microsoft about that but it looks to me that is not all covered: