News ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

Mod edit:

Detailed overview of what we know about the X299E-ITX/ac thus far here: https://smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-x299e-itxac-little-monster-detailed

Original:

ASRock did it! Finally, there's an Intel HEDT platform motherboard with full quad-channel DDR4 memory. The new X299E-ITX/ac is for those who need up to 18 CPU cores and up to 64 GB of quad-channel DDR4 memory in their SFF machines for reasons. The board manages its limited PCB real-estate by going vertical. It features two riser cards, one with a few onboard controllers, and a pair of 32 Gb/s M.2 slots), and the other riser with SATA 6 Gb/s ports, a third M.2 slot, and the headers such as USB 3.1. The board draws power from 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS connectors, conditioning it for the LGA2066 CPU using a 7-phase VRM. The lone expansion slot is a PCI-Express 3.0 x16, memory is handled by four DDR4 SO-DIMM slots. Connectivity includes two Intel I219-V driven gigabit Ethernet interfaces, 802.11ac WLAN, and Bluetooth 4.1.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Can someone please explain the discrepancy between VCore and temperatures with Skylake-X? It seems like you can get a 7740X to 5GHz, a 7820X to 4.8GHz, and a 7900X to 4.6GHz on just 1.22 VCore, yet temperatures skyrocket even at that low voltage. I thought it was because of the TIM, but when you look at power consumption it seems insane too, like in the 200-300W range. Meanwhile, on Broadwell-E at 1.22V you're looking at very low temperatures and power consumption. Is this just how the new architecture is?

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
Someone on /r/sffpc said August, but I'm waiting on confirmation of that.

That's me! If you want confirmation you can search through r/sffpc and see my post. I emailed Asrock and they emailed back saying it would release around 8/15.

I posted a picture of the email.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Same problem with pointless RAMsinks. Few - if any - manufacturers will release any DIMMs at all without heatsinks, and the few that are are usually the bottom-of-the-barrel line (or ECC/RDIMMS aimed at markets where pointless bling would not be tolerated). As a consumer, you don't even have the option to vote with your wallet against nonfunctional heatsinks.

I bought G.Skill "Value" RAM purposely because it doesn't have those gaudy sinks...and H270 only supports up to DDR4-2400.

Raz87

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 29, 2017
I guess ASRock didn't really design the board with the idea that anyone would want to remove either of the riser boards. Otherwise, they could have certainly made better choices, I hope they'll keep that in mind for the next iteration... I mean usually the 2011/2066 socket is flanked by RAM, often with high heatspreaders, so I think most air coolers will fit? The issue will be if you wanna use something low-profile like a Dynatron R15 for some kind of an insane <7L X299 build and then your cooler is completely surrounded by the great wall of China. Otherwise I think most people would want to remove the cards for purely aesthetic reasons and to help with case airflow a little, tho honestly if it's not where the heat exchange is taking place, the effect of the cards on case airflow will be minimal. ASRock could have also tried to make the risers a little sexier, and the board overall for that matter. The previous version had a cheerful light blue/grey theme, this one is a little bleak.

On another note, the previous board had literally every square millimeter outside of the socket covered with components whereas this iteration actually has gaps where there's nothing around the socket (where they put their logo and model number in that unfortunate font/color). I guess with the risers and additional layers/putting stuff on the back they freed up real estate on the front, but still it seems like they could have squeezed a USB 3.1 front header and a Thunderbolt controller somewhere on either side of the board or one of the risers. I'm not complaining, just wondering... I have to find faults with everything, it's in my nature. ;) And apparently rambling also is. I do love my X99E-ITX/ac to death.
Dynatron R15 + Noctua 120x15mm with a custom tube for airflow to the R15 in 7,2L. Its about to happen ;)

Raz87

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 29, 2017
So I had been trying to figure out how the X299E-ITX/ac handles the triple M.2 with Kaby Lake-X since they only have x16 lanes off the CPU, yet the M.2 here are wired to the CPU so that wouldn't leave enough for the PCIe slot.

I was thinking maybe there's some kind of complicated switching going on where if a Kaby Lake-X is used the M.2 get wired to the chipset instead, but it's actually much simpler:

The X299E-ITX/ac does not support Kaby Lake-X. Problem solved :p
So you are sure the 7740K doesnt work even with only One M.2 SSD? I really need this confirmed :/

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I think by "The X299E-ITX/ac does not support Kaby Lake-X." they wouldn't even want it to boot with that in the socket.

EDIT: I think I see where you're coming from; I think depending on the case if one of the M.2 sockets is connected to the PCH it might work, but that's assuming a KBLX CPU boots on that in the first place, especially with the weird DDR4 socket order between KBLX and SKLX

It might behave like a super glorified Z270 Flanders Edition ITX motherboard if that were the case, but I think it'd be more likely that Asrock could prevent the board from booting with a KBLX CPU installed (seeing that few other motherboards have LED INDICATORS of which CPU is installed)

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'd just really love to see a full cover waterblock for this, seeing as it'll be in cramped cases and probably need better VRM cooling :)

Reactions: Phuncz

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
If the two daughter boards could be eliminated, and the memory slots placed symmetrically, I would have liked this board. But it seems they kept the original design? Unfortunately, it then remains ugly as sin in my eyes. If I manage to suppress my aestetical genes, I could change my mind.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So you are sure the 7740K doesnt work even with only One M.2 SSD? I really need this confirmed :/

ASRock told me that the X299E-ITX/ac does not support Kaby Lake-X, Skylake-X CPUs are required. Also, the M.2 are wired directly to the CPU and Kaby Lake-X does not have enough PCIe lanes to support even one M.2 connected that way.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
ASRock told me that the X299E-ITX/ac does not support Kaby Lake-X, Skylake-X CPUs are required. Also, the M.2 are wired directly to the CPU and Kaby Lake-X does not have enough PCIe lanes to support even one M.2 connected that way.
In theory the CPU 16x lanes could be bifurcated to x8/x4/x4 to support two of the three m.2 slots, though there'd be no VROC support.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
In theory the CPU 16x lanes could be bifurcated to x8/x4/x4 to support two of the three m.2 slots, though there'd be no VROC support.

Also, you'd have to be an idiot to put Kaby Lake-X in that board, so why not idiot-proof it. :D (i.e. protect the board from idiots)

Yeah, the M.2 is maybe kinda fixable, but it'd be a weird setup.

And really you'd end up with the same number of M.2 and max RAM as the Strix Z270i anyway, so rather than design and validate for a combination that makes zero sense they're just not supporting Kaby Lake-X.

pacmanwa

Chassis Packer
Aug 1, 2017
I'm building one these, some parts are en route already. I'm hopeful I'll be able to get the motherboard by the 18th, so I can take it to Quakecon. The only other wildcard is the SODIMMS. I'm assuming the QVL will be available the day its released. Though I would like to have RAM in hand the day it comes out. Is it worth it to send them an email? Attempts to contact them on social media went unanswered.

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
Never mind, found the confirmation that its 15/08/2017.

You found my email!

I'm building one these, some parts are en route already. I'm hopeful I'll be able to get the motherboard by the 18th, so I can take it to Quakecon. The only other wildcard is the SODIMMS. I'm assuming the QVL will be available the day its released. Though I would like to have RAM in hand the day it comes out. Is it worth it to send them an email? Attempts to contact them on social media went unanswered.

Definitely send them an email!

pacmanwa

Chassis Packer
Aug 1, 2017
You found my email!

Definitely send them an email!

Well... got a response, memory is still undergoing testing, when the board is released QVL will be released. No surprise there.
As for asking for cooler size restraints I got a non-answer:
"We would recommend user could choose the cooler when the board is on sale.
Cause it makes sure the cooler could be used on the MB."

So... basically the answer was: "wait for the motherboard to be released" So... I guess I buy the board, measure the available area, and then buy the cooler.

Though I think the Noctua NH U9DX i4 may do the trick. Does anyone know the dimentions of a LGA 2066 socket? I'm looking for distance between cooler mount holes.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well... got a response, memory is still undergoing testing, when the board is released QVL will be released. No surprise there.
As for asking for cooler size restraints I got a non-answer:
"We would recommend user could choose the cooler when the board is on sale.
Cause it makes sure the cooler could be used on the MB."

So... basically the answer was: "wait for the motherboard to be released" So... I guess I buy the board, measure the available area, and then buy the cooler.

Though I think the Noctua NH U9DX i4 may do the trick. Does anyone know the dimentions of a LGA 2066 socket? I'm looking for distance between cooler mount holes.
Isn't there a keep-out specification for the socket?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I believe any cooler that fits on the 2011 socket should fit on the 2066 socket...?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Does anyone know the dimentions of a LGA 2066 socket? I'm looking for distance between cooler mount holes.
80x80mm. The ILM is the same as the one used 2011-3, but you can use the 2011-0 ILM as a placeholder as well

as for component keepout, that i'm not sure, but if I were to guess it should be identical