News ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

Mod edit:

Detailed overview of what we know about the X299E-ITX/ac thus far here: https://smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-x299e-itxac-little-monster-detailed

Original:

ASRock did it! Finally, there's an Intel HEDT platform motherboard with full quad-channel DDR4 memory. The new X299E-ITX/ac is for those who need up to 18 CPU cores and up to 64 GB of quad-channel DDR4 memory in their SFF machines for reasons. The board manages its limited PCB real-estate by going vertical. It features two riser cards, one with a few onboard controllers, and a pair of 32 Gb/s M.2 slots), and the other riser with SATA 6 Gb/s ports, a third M.2 slot, and the headers such as USB 3.1. The board draws power from 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS connectors, conditioning it for the LGA2066 CPU using a 7-phase VRM. The lone expansion slot is a PCI-Express 3.0 x16, memory is handled by four DDR4 SO-DIMM slots. Connectivity includes two Intel I219-V driven gigabit Ethernet interfaces, 802.11ac WLAN, and Bluetooth 4.1.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

tededfred

What's an ITX?
Aug 10, 2017
Hello there. I'm a brand new member. I've been following this thread for a while. I was really hoping to be able to use this motherboard with a 7820x in a corsair 250d. I don't plan on overclocking. Do you think temperatures would be an issue? I'm really hoping to build the most powerful ITX system I can afford.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Still no release it is killing me. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a i9. I hope they release soon but I guess I am waiting to see what the 8th gen is now

Reactions: Phryq

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I wouldn't expect Gen 8 -S CPUs to even be announced for a yew months yet, and probably not released until early next year.

pacmanwa

Chassis Packer
Aug 1, 2017
Still no release it is killing me. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a i9. I hope they release soon but I guess I am waiting to see what the 8th gen is now
I heard from a bulk purchaser at Quakecon he can already order the board. So... soon for us little guys, I hope.

Reactions: Biowarejak

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I heard from a bulk purchaser at Quakecon he can already order the board. So... soon for us little guys, I hope.
Saw a post on Reddit confirming the release in the first couple weeks of September. No official date but they pretty much said it for sure within the first two weeks. Only think though will be the price tag

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
may be a bit of topic, but I'm a bit worried about the fact that the cpu socet area is boxed in on 4 sides by the ram and the daughter boards and that this might prevent low profile (cooler height 40mm) watercooling (because the tubing needs to go over the ram or daughterboards ). Or would this be possible with an ekwb annihilator block for instance?

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
may be a bit of topic, but I'm a bit worried about the fact that the cpu socet area is boxed in on 4 sides by the ram and the daughter boards and that this might prevent low profile (cooler height 40mm) watercooling (because the tubing needs to go over the ram or daughterboards ). Or would this be possible with an ekwb annihilator block for instance?
i am pretty certain there wont be issues with an water block. With the wattage it is rated at i dont think a low profile cooler is a good option especially since everyone has been saying these new cpus run pretty hot.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Yea EK Annihilator definitely won't work.

rec365

Efficiency Noob
Aug 29, 2017
Saw a post on Reddit confirming the release in the first couple weeks of September. No official date but they pretty much said it for sure within the first two weeks. Only think though will be the price tag
Got a reply to my email from Asrock sales today. Said around 2nd week of September.

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
i am pretty certain there wont be issues with an water block. With the wattage it is rated at i dont think a low profile cooler is a good option especially since everyone has been saying these new cpus run pretty hot.
what i meant by the low profile part is that the waterblock plus angled fittings can't be higher than 40mm. And that the only block i know of that would fit would be the ekwb annihilator but with this i'm worried about the tubing not being able te be routed without having to go over the ram and thus be higher than 40mm. I don't intent to try and air cool it.

Yea EK Annihilator definitely won't work.
Any idea if there are any that might work?

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
If you use EK Supremacy EVO plus 90deg elbows, maybe it's just under 40mm?

Alternatively, can you leave the top 2 RAM slots empty? But the orientation will be wrong so not sure how well that would work. Probably still ok but not optimal.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Any which way one looks at it, the water cooling tubing is going to have to come out of the hole that is the Keep Out Zone hemmed in by the SO-DIMMs & daughter cards...

Leaving two RAM slots empty loses the quad channel capability...

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I really hope that's a temporary price until release. But, doesn't seem crazy far off.