News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The review is from me LoL. The Asrock guy on Newegg told that I am the only one reported this problem. My replacement unit is sent today. Hope there is improvements.

Oh haha. I thought, oh here's another guy. Well then I look forward to seeing more reviews, but it seems like ASRock's cooler is quite poor.

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
Original poster
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
What version HDMI does have H110M-STX mobo ?
Cant find info :(

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-STX/index.de.asp?cat=Specifications

Hi @mike349

It should be HDMI 1.4b - Intel CPU specification.

Oh haha. I thought, oh here's another guy. Well then I look forward to seeing more reviews, but it seems like ASRock's cooler is quite poor.

Hi Both

Did you cue me? This is another guy.
I can understand "acoustic is individual sense", buy according to our test report...
I think 41dB (AVG.) & 45dB (MAX) in 3D Gaming is not such poor...
By the way, we will try to improve it.

Reactions: Phuncz

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
Hi @mike349
I think 41dB (AVG.) & 45dB (MAX) in 3D Gaming is not such poor...

Emm, I measured 58-61dB-A max right beside the rig. It is NOT in a isolated sound chamber nor with calibrated equipment though. It may actually be that the unit I got was faulty. I have received the replacement unit just now. The replacement process is rather smooth. Will test it out in 1-2 days.

Last edited:

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
Original poster
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
Tested the replacement rig. No luck. Performance is exactly the same: 90-91c with fan maxed.

Hi @Geerryh

I find out thermal test in 35 Celsius degrees chamber:
Temperature of GTX1080 MXM should be mid-80 while running 3DMark and Furmark.
By the way I sent private message to you. I'd like to know your hardware configuration and condition.

About acoustic, our testing method:
Microphone placed 120 cm away chassis on Top.
Front side is 50 cm away.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Why has there been almost no coverage of this product? I remember when the Deskmini 110 launched, it was everywhere. Other than the Linus video, there's hardly anything out there, no written or video reviews from any major sources, not even from SFFN. I understand that this is a more niche product, but still. Has ASRock not sent out review units?

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
Hi @Geerryh

I find out thermal test in 35 Celsius degrees chamber:
Temperature of GTX1080 MXM should be mid-80 while running 3DMark and Furmark.
By the way I sent private message to you. I'd like to know your hardware configuration and condition.

About acoustic, our testing method:
Microphone placed 120 cm away chassis on Top.
Front side is 50 cm away.

Hope the data I sent helps to identify the problem. Please tell me there is something I can do to bring the temperature down.

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
Why has there been almost no coverage of this product? I remember when the Deskmini 110 launched, it was everywhere. Other than the Linus video, there's hardly anything out there, no written or video reviews from any major sources, not even from SFFN. I understand that this is a more niche product, but still. Has ASRock not sent out review units?

It looks like I will have to wait until more reviews come out before deciding to buy. But I most likely will not buy if there is no 1070 version

Knolly

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2017
Has anyone seen any Deskmini GTX deals for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I see that Newegg has the 1060 for $599 after a mail in rebate which is pretty solid, but I've been looking for an excuse to pick one of these up and was wondering if there was anything else out there.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The heatsink is aluminum but has a fairly large copper core. As such, using liquid metal TIMs shouldn't cause any damage to your hardware.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I can speak to this one. As I was doing the upcoming review of the DeskMIni GTX which should be up today/tomorrow I spoke with my contact AsRock. It turns out that this particular unit once retrieved from the reseller was found to have a very slight seating problem with the MXM cooler. This slight offset (nearly undetectable) reduced contact between the GPU and cooler resulted in the abnormal thermals. Once the MXM cooler was removed, re-TIM'ed and reseated properly, thermals were completely normal.

Also worth mentioning, I did rigorous testing with the Deskmini 1080 this week and I can attest to the fact that thermal throttling is NOT an issue. The only issue with GPU cooling not the DeskMini 1080 is that the stock fan profile is almost comically aggressive. In all of my testing (all three variants of Firestrike, FurMark, TimeSpy, etc.) the cooler kept the GPU right around 71C. Considering this is 14C below TMax, a much more relaxed fan curve set in BIOS completely resolved any noise issues I had with the unit. You can read more about the particulars once the article is published by @Confusis.

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear the good news. Bill did share with me their finding on the not fully fastened heatsink screw last week. However, I am not sure if that is due to the few ways of shipping or I did not tight it enough after I repaste. Since that unit has throttling before I repaste and my replaced unit behaves the same way, I will check the heatsink again in 1-2 days once I get over some crazy schedule.

71c really sounds too good to me. Can you please share the test parameters so that I can try to repeat it here to see if it is the problem of the individual unit?

Thank you!

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Sure thing. So with the stock curve I ran Firemark in normal, extreme and ultra variants on a 2550 x 1440 144hz ASUS GSync monitor. I also ran Rise of the Tomb Raider and GTA V's benchmarks. Everything was done three times and almost without exception the fan speed rapidly hit and stuck at 80%. The highest temperature seen on all 15 of these trials was 73C, but over 99% of the testing 71C was like hard locked. I was able to successfully run these tests on my PC with a 50% flat fan curve on once-through trials of each. Noise was very much tolerable and temps peaked in the high 70s to low 80s. Ambient in my room on this last batch of testing was 18C. Obviously in a warmer room you'd need a more aggressive profile set.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
For the B250? The board only sells as a Deskmini GTX kit right now and all of the relevant specs should be on this site:

https://www.asrock.com/nettop/intel/DeskMini GTXRX/

If you have any questions that aren't answered by the official spec, I would be happy to answer them as I consider myself to be much more familiar than most with this platform. If that fails, I'm sure @ASRock System would be more than happy to put in an opinion as I'm pretty sure he's the one who designed the board.

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Aug 7, 2017
I sent him a message earlier, if there's any new information I get I'll be sure to inform everyone here. Also, I just got in contact with innodisk about their VLP ram and they gave me the number of a distributor in the U.S. If enough people are interested we might be able to get a bulk discount. So is anyone interested?

Reactions: VegetableStu