SFF.Network ASRock reveals the refreshed DeskMini GTX/RX with Z370 chipset !

That tiny but potent Micro-STX system which supports MXM graphic cards up to the Nvidia GTX 1080 or Radeon RX 580, has received a refresh in the form of a new Z370 chipset and some new tweaks, let's take a look !

Read more here.

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure it will. On the Z270 version, if you look on the solder mask, the outline for the power port intrudes on the outline for the CPU cooler. In the Z370 version, the CPU socket has been shifted to the right, and the power port no longer intrudes on the cooler space.

zakius

Chassis Packer
Apr 20, 2017
does anybody know if this CPU limit is hard or will it work properly with weaker card and better CPU as long as we provide proper cooling?

changguangyu

Average Stuffer
Aug 8, 2017
does anybody know if this CPU limit is hard or will it work properly with weaker card and better CPU as long as we provide proper cooling?
All STX have 65w power limit of CPU no matter what GPU you use. You can use 8700k but it's also limited to 65w. Intel XTU can modify this value, but i don't know if there will be stability issues.

Reactions: Phuncz

zakius

Chassis Packer
Apr 20, 2017
All STX have 65w power limit of CPU no matter what GPU you use. You can use 8700k but it's also limited to 65w. Intel XTU can modify this value, but i don't know if there will be stability issues.
eh, it doesn't make sense at all since
-it isn't really STX since it's custom format
-they support the most powerful MXM cards, come on, what is the reason to do that if your CPU is going to struggle with daily tasks? (yeah, I'm exaggerating here, but the point is still the same: in daily use you'll benefit much more from 8700k than from 1080)

shreebles

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
-they support the most powerful MXM cards, come on, what is the reason to do that if your CPU is going to struggle with daily tasks? (yeah, I'm exaggerating here, but the point is still the same: in daily use you'll benefit much more from 8700k than from 1080)

If daily use is your goal why are you looking at a gaming system?

For a gaming system, it's been proven that it hardly matters if you use a i5 or an i7 or a k CPU - especially nowadays that we have 65W CPUs with 6 cores and 12 threads, any performance benefit beyond the i7 8700 is negligible in gaming and most daily tasks.
Only big difference you'll see is in CPU heavy tasks like video editing, which this system wasn't designed to do (though it would probably do that admirably, too).

reiserFS

Chassis Packer
Dec 15, 2017
Man, I've been waiting for this! Hopefully they adjusted the GPU fan as well.

Looking forward to the review.

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
I think maybe he's referring more to the performance of the heatsink. Every review I've seen of the GTX 1080 version said that it's very loud under loud. If the heatsink performed better the fan wouldn't need to spin up as much.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
There's only so much heat a sink can dissipate. And they work better under more airflow (to a point). So AsRock's going to set the fan curve conservatively to limit failures.

zakius

Chassis Packer
Apr 20, 2017
If daily use is your goal why are you looking at a gaming system?

For a gaming system, it's been proven that it hardly matters if you use a i5 or an i7 or a k CPU - especially nowadays that we have 65W CPUs with 6 cores and 12 threads, any performance benefit beyond the i7 8700 is negligible in gaming and most daily tasks.
Only big difference you'll see is in CPU heavy tasks like video editing, which this system wasn't designed to do (though it would probably do that admirably, too).
I'm looking at a small system with socketed CPU support and graphics card that isn't blocking airflow

changguangyu

Average Stuffer
Aug 8, 2017
eh, it doesn't make sense at all since
-it isn't really STX since it's custom format
You will still benefit from 8700k even with 65w limit. Because full load of single core will not reach this value. This limit only happens to full load of all cores in very rare cases.

Last edited: