[SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini 310 - NUC Killer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by confusis, Oct 1, 2018.

1. confusis

confusis John Morrison. Writer, Editor, Awesome Person.
    Thread Starter Site Staff LuxIndustries

We've looked at ASRock's DeskMini range in the past, with in depth analysis of the B250 and Z370 series DeskMini GTX/RX models - with GTX1080 and GTX1060 GPUs included. These cater for the high end, with prices to suit. At the other end of the spectrum, we have the DeskMini 110 and 310 - Mini-STX rather than Micro-STX, and integrated graphics only.

Read more here.

FullForceRainbow and AleksandarK like this.
  2. prateekprakash

prateekprakash Minimal Tinkerer

Kindly let me know if it has HDMI 2.0 port, as it would be easily connected to a uhd TV!

3. TinyAudio

TinyAudio Cable-Tie Ninja
    Bronze Supporter

I second the call on the chassis being subpar to the DeskminiGTX.

4. Brian_Buckley

Brian_Buckley Caliper Novice

Has anyone tried testing support for non-stock coolers with this one? I remember that being an issue with the DeskMini GTX since the IO actually interfered with the edge of the coolers.

5. confusis

Noctua Nh-L9i fits no problems :) haven't tested other coolers though

6. TheOfficialCzex

TheOfficialCzex Caliper Novice

Still no ThunderBolt...

7. BenX

BenX Minimal Tinkerer

The J5005 NUC is actually a better comparison for the low end, instead of the 7100u. NUC7PJYH = 172 dollars (newegg). Little bit slower single core, faster multi core performance.

Also a bit surprised there is still no AMD Deskmini released. Been waiting for that for ages. AMD Deskmini + AMD 1600 ( and maybe ECC )... The 1600 has one of the best price vs performance on multicore.

el01 likes this.
  8. el01

el01 King of Cable Management

I LOVE THAT BEIGE SSD!

Choidebu likes this.
  9. Mortis Angelus

Mortis Angelus Cable-Tie Ninja
    Bronze Supporter

Can someone please tell me: Does Intel have exclusive rights to this small formfactor? Why hasn't AsRock released an AMD-version of the desk mini yet? With the AMD APUs (2200G/2400G) it would be the best HTPC-box out there. Same seem to go for half-height mITX motherboards. The only one I know of from current gen is a gigabyte one for Intel.

10. fadsarmy

fadsarmy Efficiency Noob

The installation of additional USB 2.0 ports is actually not that difficult once you know how to do it. This is explained in the DeskMini 110 FAQ.

11. confusis

@fadsarmy alas, I have normal sized hands - I couldn't provide the dexterity to route the cable as such :/