News ASRock Readies Next-Gen DeskMini & DeskMeet PCs With AMD X600 & Intel B760 Motherboards

protexus

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 20, 2020
I'm so hyped for the deskmeet motherboard. It's horizontal dtx layout allows for an almost perfect fit behind an 4080/90 PCB. The space efficiency in a sandwich layout sff case would be so satisfying :D

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I would also be curious to see if anyone has taken the Deskmeet motherboards and put them in another case. I wonder if you can put one in the Densium 4 plus with some effort.

Last edited:

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
I think you have to wait until AMD releases „Phoenix point“ APUs for AM5. You could use normal Ryzen 7000 CPUs, but the GPU part is very limited with only 2 CUs. Right now first notebooks with „Phoenix point“ come to the markets. Also Ryzen 7000X3D was just released this month, so it's very likely that there will be no launch within the next 2 month.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Yeah, AMD is really keeping us waiting for the Phoenix Point chips. Even longer for Strix Point... both will be game-changers.

If you've seen the CPU performance coming from the 7945HX at 55W you really start to see what they can do.
It's a pity the iGPU there is gimped (IIRC it's a 2CU 'Radeon 610M') because they're typically used with discrete GPUs in high-performance laptops, I'm super keen to see what happens when you replace some of the CPU cores with a dozen RDNA3 CUs (a la 6900HX and it's 12CU 680M with newer generation everything) :D

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
The 7945HX is more or less a desktop Ryzen 7000 with limited power consumption. Which also includes I/O Die, RDNA2 only and 5nm instead of 4nm.

But you can take a look at the Ryzen 9 7940HS. First notebooks and reviews are already available:

But keep in mind that the X600 may can use faster memory and 65 Watt. But this is more or less what to expect.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
We won't see Phoenix based APU's for desktop any time soon. AMD just don't have enough allocation with TSMC to fulfil their product portfolio in it's current state.
They have however just signed a wafer agreement with Samsung. Samsung have reportedly increased yields significantly with their disastrous 4mn process that previously has had terrible yield issues. This actually bodes well for Phoenix as the rumors are that this is one of product lines that AMD will be using on Samsung 4nm in the near future.
There's still nothing on the official AMD roadmap for any new Desktop APU's to succeceed Cezanne.
There are ofc the rumors that a Phoenix part will come eventually, when? we don't know.

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
Minisforum released their UM790 Pro today. You can pre-order it: https://wccftech.com/minisforum-um790-pro-mini-pc-amd-ryzen-9-7940hs-available-starting-at-519-us/
Weird, that AsRock is still so quiet. No info about their DeskMini...
Miniforum use mobile CPUs which are soldered to the board, while the DeskMini use Desktop APUs which use the AM5 socket. Also the mobile CPUs were released this Spring, while there was no announcement for AM5 APUs so far. So there is nothing weird, we have to wait for AMD.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

mike349

Trash Compacter
Mar 28, 2017
So, here they are: Deskmeet and Deskslim:
I guess official info will come 01.06 when ASRock will introduce them on Computex.

Reactions: confusis