Are the PSU Flex ATX valid for a powerful SSF?

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
I love the SFF world, I already have one, and I would like to have another more porwerfull.
I am not an expert, but I observe that one of the problems for a correct air flow lies in the bulky PSU. Even SFX take up a lot of space.
I have seen that there is a smaller type of PSU, Flex ATX, that because of its elongated shape is better for a good air flow in SFF cases, but I do not see that it is used much. There is even Flex ATX 500w Gold, which possibly serves for a small gaming computer.
My question: Can't this 500w Flex ATX unit be used in a gaming configuration? Would it cause problems? In what is better a SFX PSU of the same power?

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
I have both the FSP400 and FSP500. I run them with 92mm fans, so they're silent for me, though it also effectively adds a lot to the volume. With the stock fan, there's always a hum, and under load it's irritating.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Flex-ATX power supplies means a 40mm fan (or two) - whilst some can be "quiet", that 40mm fan leads to aural characteristics akin to a rackmount server - high pitched whining.

Some units can be modded and the fan replaced with a Noctua 40mm fan - however there's always the risk that the airflow/static pressure of the replacement fan may not cool the PSU sufficiently.

Reactions: NateDawg72 and el01

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
I bought the Enhance 600w platinum which was supposed to have the 6+2 pins but it didn't. So I'm going to add them myself

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
Found it on Amazon. Then one I bought was a ENP-7660B I think if I can find one without the "B" it will have the 6+2 pins
I can't find it on Amazon, but came across the same version on eBay.

Too bad Geeek doesn't sell their modded versions anymore.