That quiet-up-to-480W SFFTEC Flex PSU made me start thinking

chx

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 18, 2016
There's https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...nt-and-powerful-custom-psu.11896/#post-174667 this. Made me wonder. A Flex ATX PSU is 40mm thick... accidentlaly quite similar to a dual slot video card.

I have an idea... As you know I am quite interested in ATX cases, back then I roamed the globe with a GT3-BH. Another background tidbit: 3U cases fit normal height video cards. Of course, GPUs don't fit there but they sure do fit in 4U, 1U being 44.45mm. The Flex ATX fan is just 40mm...

What if there was a case which supported "slotting in" a Flex ATX PSU with the fan being right against the back wall above the PCI slots and the power connector available right next to the video card outputs. You could even fit the whole thing within the dimensions of a PCI card but moving it 4cm higher as the case allows makes for easier mounting as you can screw it to the case. It'd require removable PCI dividers because otherwise you can't plug in but as open frame PC cases show us, that's not a problem, really, you can just have really long standoffs to secure the cards. Wouldn't require anything special, really, no need for an internal power cable extension or anything,

Something like https://www.microcenter.com/product/605934/lian-li-graphic-card-anti-sag-bracket could help on the other end of the PSU to hold it up.

Sure it would take away two slots from ATX but aside from a few GPGPU heavy setups, noone uses all of 'em anyways, the reason to use ATX boards is because more features and RAM slots.

Case dimensions, well, the Silverstone PS13 is only 182mm and supports 120mm rear fans, I like that. The Cerberus X is 330mm deep, I like that too. It would need to be 332mm high which is about an inch shorter than the Cerberus to fit inside the 20L envelope but that's OK, unlike the Cerberus X I don't want to support a bottom radiator, any radiator would be on the CPU side. The case is much more air cooling oriented anyways.

tl;dr: slightly thicker, slightly less tall Cerberus X with the option of using a Flex ATX in place of a video card, 158mm CPU coolers (Scythe Fuma, Cryorig H7 and more) and a 120mm rear fan.

Anyone interested :) ?

Last edited: