SFF.Network AMD Ryzen announced, detailed and available for pre-order TODAY !

Ever since AMD first announced the work that would later be branded as Ryzen, the company has been strategically and masterfully orchestrating a narrative of dramatic change and disruption to the staid status quo of consumer and enthusiast-grade processors. Today, however, AMD has built up this performance into a crescendo, by revealing their top-performing Ryzen AM4 CPUs today.

Read more here.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, x86 is x86 (very generally speaking). It's the chipset drivers that kill you.

More on topic, I'm a bit miffed that a lot of the reviews of a 16 threaded processor hinge on games that use 2-4 threads. I'm thinking that a 65W 1700 would be amazing in an ITX sized home server. Mine runs DVR software, some VMs, and occasionally transcodes all while needing to sustain 50+ MBps of file server traffic. I currently have an AMD APU which gets its butt kicked with the load.

The issue stems a lot from the fact that a lot of the more high profile reviewers tend to be ones that review a lot of gaming products such as graphics cards, with a mostly gamer audience, and as such they tend to just go through the motions of benchmarking the usual games to see the differences.

Scientific computational benchmarks are out there, but you just have to look for them.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Yes people have been generally confused about Kaby Lake and Ryzen not "supporting" Windows 7. What that basically means is that not all technology and features will be usable or supported and Microsoft will probably not give proper support either. But that doesn't mean they don't work perfectly like any other CPU. I believe AMD and Intel both have drivers for their latest platform for Windows 7 available.

I've been having a bit of a hog getting Windows 7 to work on Kaby Lake NUCs I was supposed to set up. No optical disc drive, no USB support to install USB drivers... My clients have had to 'deal with' Windows 10 on some of their systems.

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
The issue stems a lot from the fact that a lot of the more high profile reviewers tend to be ones that review a lot of gaming products such as graphics cards, with a mostly gamer audience, and as such they tend to just go through the motions of benchmarking the usual games to see the differences.

Scientific computational benchmarks are out there, but you just have to look for them.
Great read, thanks! I know it's early in the game, but "server Ryzen" with maybe 2 dies per package and 2-4 sockets per motherboard (a la G34) would be a beast! I don't think Intel is going to be charging $9000 for their 24 core Xeons much longer.
I've been having a bit of a hog getting Windows 7 to work on Kaby Lake NUCs I was supposed to set up. No optical disc drive, no USB support to install USB drivers... My clients have had to 'deal with' Windows 10 on some of their systems.
BTDT with some Bay Trail/Braswell netbooks. IIRC I was able to get it going by loading USB drivers from a dialog inside Windows Setup.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Man, a board that could use multiple regular "consumer-grade" Ryzen chips would be insane and totally change the game. Sure, you can snipe a (SLOW) old server CPU with several cores/threads for like $70, but the motherboards for those chips easily cost into the ~$350+ range. If I'm choosing between two old ~$100 chips and a dated ~$400 motherboard vs shiny new chips in a new ~$2-300 Motherboard that would certainly be faster and have quicker storage options/etc, it's a much more interesting choice than the old gear vs new Intel "server" gear.

BTDT with some Bay Trail/Braswell netbooks. IIRC I was able to get it going by loading USB drivers from a dialog inside Windows Setup.

I think there is a way to force that, yeah, the guide I saw mentioned optical disc drives and I just threw in the towel. And, for what it's worth, we mostly try to work from images rather than clean installations. I was working over the weekend and it was a long day, and it really wasn't THAT big of a deal that the few computers had Windows 10 on them, the customers were likely to re-image the computers anyways. But I think I'm derailing the thread a little too much at this point.

Dyson Poindexter

Jun 25, 2015
If the yields are good (i.e they are not bleeding money from selling CPUs at $300-$500) AMD has nothing to lose by opening up a 2P market for HEDT. Sure, it's not going to be very SFF but the number-crunches-per-dollar would be insane with 32 Ryzen cores on one board.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
If the yields are good (i.e they are not bleeding money from selling CPUs at $300-$500) AMD has nothing to lose by opening up a 2P market for HEDT. Sure, it's not going to be very SFF but the number-crunches-per-dollar would be insane with 32 Ryzen cores on one board.
32 Ryzen threads you mean. The server variant will be Naples.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I think their upper limit for server CPUs is 32 cores, so you can have up to 64 cores in a dual socket board.

Reactions: Soul_Est

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
128 threads, baby! I totally need that!

(On a serious note, though, you could potentially use a dual-socket Naples board and processor(s) selection to make a very 'SFF' build in threads-per-litre terms!)

Dyson Poindexter

Jun 25, 2015
Node 304 with a DTX/Shuttle form factor board and 32 cores, please! They did a 2011 one so don't say it's impossible!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
With Skylake we had the same problem, though the "Kaby Lake is not supported on Windows 7" was not the problem. But Intel's 600p M.2 NVMe storage and USB 3.0 were. Windows 8.1 (Enterprise license) worked without a problem though.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

With Skylake we had the same problem, though the "Kaby Lake is not supported on Windows 7" was not the problem. But Intel's 600p M.2 NVMe storage and USB 3.0 were. Windows 8.1 (Enterprise license) worked without a problem though.
It is possible if you do this.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
After reading about Naples, Zen is dead to me. Intel is dead to me. We must embrace our new God, AMD Naples.

Long Live Naples.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My 1800X arrived today, ordered around moment it was available for pre-order. Still have to wait for the motherboard though :( The retail box without cooler is extremely light, the packaging it came in was many times its weight.

It is possible if you do this.
I could fix the USB drivers, but the NVMe was another problem: the Intel 600p doesn't have a driver for Windows 7 (in contrast to Samsung) and integrating the Windows 7 hotfix to add NVMe support wasn't enough to make it work. But it's no problem, I'm not keen on staying on Windows 7 forever at work, especially not with new devices.

Reactions: Soul_Est

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nice..:)

What motherboard did you choose by the way?
In France, it's simple : no ryzen x370 mb are available