SFF.Network AMD Ryzen announced, detailed and available for pre-order TODAY !

Ever since AMD first announced the work that would later be branded as Ryzen, the company has been strategically and masterfully orchestrating a narrative of dramatic change and disruption to the staid status quo of consumer and enthusiast-grade processors. Today, however, AMD has built up this performance into a crescendo, by revealing their top-performing Ryzen AM4 CPUs today.

Read more here.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I apologise if this has been covered, but will there be any mATX or ITX Ryzen mobos that'll have 2x M.2 slots?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I apologise if this has been covered, but will there be any mATX or ITX Ryzen mobos that'll have 2x M.2 slots?

Asrock B350m Pro4 mAtx has 2. One is pcie or m.2 and the other is sata 6 m.2 only I believe.

I looked hard at this one but chose the Msi mortar. It was in stock when my patience ran out!

Reactions: Soul_Est

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
On am4 there will be at best dual m.2, full pcie 3 4x, but it will require x370 with only one pcie 3 16x for gpu...but currently micro atx are just entry level of am4 mb

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
MSI has just released, what I guess is the best compromise, for AM4 mother board : MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#productSpecification-section
  • B350 chipset, OC with one GPU (perfect for those who are not interested in multi gpu)
  • Plenty of VRM to power cpu
  • Intel LAN chipset (great!)
  • Sound by ALC 1220 (greatt!)
  • true pci-e extension slots (not legacy pci port like tomahawk)
  • Led tuning (ok for those interested in)
  • DDR4 3200 extensive compatibility
  • Control DC & PWM fans
  • price : 135$

Clearly one of the best...or simply AM4 board...:)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
ATX for a single GPU ? I already feel "unclean" for having an ATX board with two 3-slot GPU cards.
The specs look promising though, I hope they'll just make an mITX board exactly with those specs (minus >1 PCIe slots ofcourse).

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I'm confused as to why motherboard manufacturers even bother to develop full ATX boards that are so empty for that chipset.

Either they have a bunch of empty space in which case why not just do an mATX or they include crap like PCie 2.0 x16 or PCIe 3.0 x4 slots (disguised as x16) or even worse: add PCI slots. That stuff doesn't serve much of any purpose unless you are using some old expansion cards.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Not 90%, but the idea that mITX and mATX are inferior to full ATX is still very much present, although it is changing at a faster pace than ever, I think. Just recently a friend of mine asked for some help about building a new computer similar to the one I'm building, but saying he wanted it to be "normal sized" because he wanted to play games on it. He's not completely computer illiterate either, he just assumed that mITX has compromises in terms of performance and didn't believe me when I told him that it's no different than an ATX board unless he needs more than one PCIe slot or more RAM, for example. People seem to think that computer size is related to computer power. And try to convince North Americans especially that that's not true, they who always love everything that is BIG! XD

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
The removal of 5.25" bays from midtowers have seen some interesting smaller ATX enclosures - that's where the market has headed thus far. As a result, ATX remains popular. Of the mass produced cases, the TJ08-E remains the only mATX case I'd actually consider over an ATX alternative, regardless of neither being "SFF". I just picked up a Fractal Define C (ATX) to see how it fares against it, and I'd say overall quite well.

I got a Z170 mATX board because the mITX boards all had compromises and didn't seem very well thought out. When I reviewed the Z270, I felt the mATX offerings were worse than that of my Asus Maximus VIII Gene. I prefer the M.2 / PCI-E 3.0 x4 slot configuration over 2x M.2.. provides more versatility.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Not 90%, but the idea that mITX and mATX are inferior to full ATX is still very much present, although it is changing at a faster pace than ever, I think. Just recently a friend of mine asked for some help about building a new computer similar to the one I'm building, but saying he wanted it to be "normal sized" because he wanted to play games on it. He's not completely computer illiterate either, he just assumed that mITX has compromises in terms of performance and didn't believe me when I told him that it's no different than an ATX board unless he needs more than one PCIe slot or more RAM, for example. People seem to think that computer size is related to computer power. And try to convince North Americans especially that that's not true, they who always love everything that is BIG! XD
Yeah but many of the boards using B350 lack slots anyways which doesn't seem very feature packed, and the inclusion of PCI just to fill space screams budget option to me, and B350 isn't even the budget chipset.

I'm actually starting to second guess AMD's decision to not support bifurcation that chipset. At the very least, supporting bifurcation would have let manufacturers go for the option of including multiple PCIe 3.0 M.2.
I do get why they don't have great support for multi-GPU in general, though, especially 3 and 4 GPU configurations. It just doesn't scale well anymore (never did tbh but it scales less well recently), and with the limited install base it's not worth it to spend time supporting it. Nvidia especially seems to be trying to kill off >2 GPU configurations.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
AMD still needs to improve in terms of connectivity. Definitevely adding M.2 pci 3 4x is future proof, and it's becoming standard.