Absolute best possible thermals for the cpu

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
NO SFF case I have worked on works well with non reference coolers. Not just the M1. It's the same with the A4 and the Sentry. If you don't use a blower style cooler, cpu temperature will take a hit cooling which is more challenging than the gpu. When I was getting the 1080ti founders edition it's reviews weren't very good in terms of noise. But still went for it because of the SFF build I was going for. I think this is an important decision particularly if anyone plans to use a high TDP GPU like a VEGA 64 or GTX 1080 TI.
Which one gets you better GPU temps, the NCASE on the DAN A4?

Kineticman

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
Probably an ncase with 120mm fans underneath
NCase at least for my founders edition card. But I have a 120 mm fan as intake right underneath the intake of the blower cooler. Usual operating temperature for my 1080 ti is 75 degrees under load (usual room temperature is 27 degrees).

Kineticman

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
Alright. So I got the NH-C14S today and installed it. The installation process was pretty difficult. The only way I could mount the cooler was with the heat pipes horizontally starting from the left side terminating to the right. The cooler does not fit in any other way.
But I was unable to mount the cooler with the included fan under the cooler. The problem is the 24 pin motherboard cable that doesn't allow space for the included fan under the cooler and the fan isn't compatible at the top because of height restrictions.

I also had to remove the side bracket with the 120 mm fan blowing air in because the height of the cooler won't allow it to fit.

I tied the slim cryorig fan from the C1 with twist ties to the cooler.

So, yea, overall by build is all messed up right now.

But I got results where it mattered The temperatures are significantly lower. I am still running temperature tests I'll give an update later with a few configuration.

1. With a 140mm cryorig slim fan at the top and a noctua 120 mm fan at the bottom (I think I can make it fit

2. With two 140 mm cryorig slim fans in push-pull . (I will order another one tonight)

What I can tell you is this, with all other coolers, the idle temperatures would jump around +- 10°.

But not with this cooler. Also everything else being equal temperature is significantly lower than cryorig C1 and Noctua Nh-l12.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding the build please comment

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The included fan of the NH-C14S could somehow be installed under the cooler without conflicting with the Asus Z270i 24-pin cable connector. Look at this build:-

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Jb29TW

Note that the guy was also fitting the NH-C14S in the same orientation as yours (ie heatpipes going from left to right). I reckon, this is the best orientation because (a) the heatpipes running horizontally to the ground and so gravity effect is 'neutral' and (b) the fins are running vertically to direct the passed-thru air up and down in such a way that the onboard M.2 SSD (Asus heatsink cover) can be cooled (an important benefit of using a huge down blowing cooler).

In his full-build log, his fan does not conflict with the 24-pin motherboard connector cable. There was still some space in between. He's using SF600. Maybe you can try to use a 90-degree angle connector adaptor?
(full build log:- )

BTW, are you using onboard M.2 SSD? If yes, what temp are you having? I am interested to see how much help the downward air of the NH-C14S offers.

Last edited:

Suprakarlos

What's an ITX?
Apr 23, 2018
I own LP53, Cryorig C9 (both underpowered compared to the Noctua) and a Cryorig C1.

From what I saw on various reviews on HiTechLegion's YouTube channel, the lp53 has very great thermals (probably because it's 100% copper)! Like it's on par with the c1 and the nh-l12. Have you tested it's thermals?
I fact I currently own an lp53 but I want to change for a c1 for my sff build, but I need to know if it'll be worth it...

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
The Noctua C14 / C14s, and U9S are all great coolers for the M1. I have the LP53. Even though I haven’t used it for the M1 (only used it for the Dancase A4-SFX / NFC Skyreach 4 Mini), and I can say from my experience, that the three Noctua coolers that I’ve named above all run cooler than the LP53.

SmootyPoody

Efficiency Noob
Aug 27, 2018
The C14S is not ideal.. The original C14 is better, as you can have a 25mm depth fan on that can create much better pressure and as such more air. That way you can either install 2x 120mm fan side by side, or 1x 140mm fan.

But The C14S can work for sure..